Fun With DS Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
"How to make a concrete apron"

Don't think it would be very comfortable...

"How to make urban clothing"

I'd like to know what rural and suburban clothing looks like.

"How to make your own subliminals"

Send out subliminal thoughts. Wait for desired reactions.

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
This one I actually TOOK, and it's currently under copyeditor review:

"Can i get sirius radio on my 3g iphone ?"

(C&P'ed exactly, btw.)

I actually managed to get an entire Decision article out of what basically amounted to "why, yes, there's an app for that."

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
Under the Home Improvement category:

"Ape soldering tips"

1. Hold down ape
2. Attempt to solder ape
3. Run from angry ape

The titles are often funny, especially taken out of context, but a concrete apron is an extension of an existing concrete slab - think adding a slab next to your driveway for your boat.

ape - is actually A.P.E. - Automated Production Equipment - they make soldering supplies and equipment.

I write a lot of home improvement/construction articles. There was a comment about "Gorilla Glue" also by someone, but that's actually the strongest glue to use on wood.

The problem is the Title QA's don't know what the stuff is either, so the sentences don't read well sometimes or the capitalization isn't right. Also, I don't know if a person selects the categories, but they need to be horse-whipped. :)

zoomusic

doing it word by word
Registered
Reaction score
I grabbed 'Hairball Related Gifts' a few weeks ago. I thought it was a joke, but...I wrote about putting together a 'gift basket' for a new cat owner full of, well, hairball related gifts. Petromalt, a cat comb, a funny novelty hairball joke mug...it went through, no re-writes.

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
From what I hear, it's a computer that does the categorizing, though they were supposed to start using some new sort of method. If I come across a title like Ape soldering tips...after a giggle, I go off to Google and try to figure out how that title could even work out. (I do title editing, where I just fix up the title as best I can. It's really hard sometimes to do something with the titles we are given since we can't mess around with it much)

I just edited :

How to Put Someone to Sleep Using the Nerve Pinch

If only I could add in Vulcan...I suppose I could, but we're told to not add in words if possible. Besides, anyone who is a Trekkie will know that's what was meant :)

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen some weird ones, but this tops 'em all:

Complications With ROM & Root Canals

Well you see doctor, I stuck a ROM chip onto my tooth and that's why it needs a root canal. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.