Veterans Stop Poppy Money Snatcher!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yesterday in Toronto, something extremely deplorable happened. Or almost happened. An armed thief tried to steal the poppy money from a Royal Canadian Legion Hall.

Two elderly Toronto veterans chased down and tackled a man who tried to steal the proceeds from the sale of Remembrance Day poppies.
The veterans were counting the poppy money on Thursday at a Royal Canadian Legion Hall near Danforth Avenue and Robinson Avenue in Scarborough.

Just before noon, a man with a gun walked into the legion through a back door and tried to steal the money, the veterans told police.

FULL STORY AT THE CBC

Click on the video to hear story from the men who stopped him.

(there's a cute bit at the end of the video about 'layin' the smack down'.)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
What is a poppy?

And more than that, GO VETS!

IMGP1945.jpg

This is a poppy. The Vets hand them out all across the country to commemorate Remembrance Day...and they accept donations. The whole country is wearing them right now.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Oooh!

Why would anyone try and steal that? How craven...well, at least the vets got him.

They tried to steal the money (donations) that were collected. The vets were tallying up this year's donations...and the thief came in the back door to rob them.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this in the metro paper today. I admire the courage of those veterans to go after and tackle a thief (presumably) much younger than them.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for the veterans. They're a tough old bunch.

Which is why it annoys me so much that poppies are no longer allowed to be sold here with pins in them. Because fighting in a war for six years is SOOOO much safer than having a f'ing pin in your poppy. I also don't like that it's called the Haig Fund when he was the tube that sent so many to their deaths by ordering them to walk in line at the Somme. He didn't walk with them, of course, he was FAR too important for that.

I always buy one. And I always lose it within a day or so. Because they don't have pins anymore. But my contribution is there, and as little as it is, I know it's appreciated somewhere.