U.S. to Seek Death Penalty in 9/11 Cases

Woof

Outward Hound
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
From a legal standpoint, the decision was made to hold the trial in New York City since that is the jurisdiction where the crime took place--though, "crime" is a woefully inadequate word to describe the horrific acts of Sept. 11. Legal decisions aside, the glaring, inescapable trial of these terrorists will inflict an awful toll on the people of New York--and in particular, the relatives, friends and co-workers of those who perished on that dreadful day. Some people who agree with the decision to hold the trial in NYC say that the process will be cathartic for its citizens. I don't agree. New Yorkers are still in the process of healing from the trauma of 9/11 and to ask them to re-open those wounds so close to home, is callous in the extreme.

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
Moving the 9/11 trials to NYC and the remainder of detainees to Illinois has everything to do with justice and the American way and zip to do with the president’s commitment to close Gitmo by Jan 12.

Right….trust me

Illinois prison top contender to house Gitmo detainees, official says
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/14/illinois.prison.gitmo/index.html

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I'm shyly waving the Dumb Brit flag here.

According to this: http://www.deadlinethemovie.com/state/NY/ New York State hasn't executed anyone since 1976, and currently has a moratorium in place. Therefore, my Machiavellian brain is thinking they go to court in New York City, presumably get sentenced to death if found guilty and then sit on Death Row until they die of old age anyway. So the Obama administration satisfies those who want the death penalty because that's the sentence that would be passed, but also the anti-death penalty side are satisfied because unless New York State lifts their court-ordered moratorium they can't be executed. New York State may well be willing and able to do that, I don't know enough about the population's and politicians' will to do so, but to me it looks win-win for the courts and Obama. Whether it would be any justice as far as those who lost family and friends is another matter.

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm shyly waving the Dumb Brit flag here.

According to this: http://www.deadlinethemovie.com/state/NY/ New York State hasn't executed anyone since 1976, and currently has a moratorium in place. Therefore, my Machiavellian brain is thinking they go to court in New York City, presumably get sentenced to death if found guilty and then sit on Death Row until they die of old age anyway. So the Obama administration satisfies those who want the death penalty because that's the sentence that would be passed, but also the anti-death penalty side are satisfied because unless New York State lifts their court-ordered moratorium they can't be executed. New York State may well be willing and able to do that, I don't know enough about the population's and politicians' will to do so, but to me it looks win-win for the courts and Obama. Whether it would be any justice as far as those who lost family and friends is another matter.
The trial will be held in Federal court physically in NYC so Federal law will apply, therefore the death sentence if imposed would be carried out.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
The trial will be held in Federal court physically in NYC so Federal law will apply, therefore the death sentence if imposed would be carried out.

I see, thank you.

I'll go back to the corner and be quiet. :D

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
While I'd love to see the perps tortured for the rest of their miserable lives, and also want the death penalty for them, my thoughts are changing a little.

Just lock them away in a prison in the middle of nowhere and never mention them again. They'll have no publicity like a big trial and execution would bring. They can just be shut away and forgotten. No martyrdom for them.

I think them realizing they're nothing and not important enough for a media circus would punish them much more than any big trial and execution would bring.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Fair question. And a tough one. Sometimes you just have to do the best you can.

caw

Would you serve on the jury? And swear that you haven't pre-judged them ?
I couldn't.
I hope there are 12 people who can. (but I wouldn't want to live in their shoes).

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't.
I hope there are 12 people who can. (but I wouldn't want to live in their shoes).
think about it…you would be guaranteed a great book deal

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

Frankly, no. I just a week or so ago went through a local jury selection process (was never called from the panel of prospectives), and at the end of it, I admit I'd have had serious problems with pre-judgment (I think the dude was guilty as hell, just from the statement of the charges and my previous experience with such matters). I'll bet my house he gets convicted, but probably will never know, it being a nasty but regrettably mundane criminal matter involving multiple counts of domestic violence coupled with parole violation. Won't make the newspaper.

But, yeah, this is indeed a significant problem. Still, we have to deal with it, judicially. Simply confining these guys without charges indefinitely in a Kafkaesque Neverland certainly can't be an acceptable alternative. I grew up being taught that kind of thing was what the Nazis and Communists did.

Despite every evidence to the contrary, I will not cease believing we can do it better.

caw

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps they could be used to test new medications and cosmetics. Save the monkeys and dogs and bunny's from being tortured and blinded.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
From a legal standpoint, the decision was made to hold the trial in New York City since that is the jurisdiction where the crime took place--though, "crime" is a woefully inadequate word to describe the horrific acts of Sept. 11. Legal decisions aside, the glaring, inescapable trial of these terrorists will inflict an awful toll on the people of New York--and in particular, the relatives, friends and co-workers of those who perished on that dreadful day. Some people who agree with the decision to hold the trial in NYC say that the process will be cathartic for its citizens. I don't agree. New Yorkers are still in the process of healing from the trauma of 9/11 and to ask them to re-open those wounds so close to home, is callous in the extreme.

I hasten to remind you that another target was hit on the same day that was not in NYC. A federal target called the Pentagon.

Having lost three acquaintances in NYC and one in the Pentagon, I do think it's wise to recall that NYC is not the only scene of travesty.

At any rate, it's a Federal court, so it could be convened anywhere. Why they would want to hold the proceedings in NYC is not particularly wise, especially for those of us who are there. I would prefer they switched venues. And besides, the terrorists will likely find a gentler touch in, say, San Francisco. This way, we can get around the pending hoopla from Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International.