• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dreamspinner Press

TamMac

Potato-eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tamthewriter.blogspot.ca
Oh, shoot, sorry Captcha. I totally misunderstood. I thought you were looking for Dreamspinner (m/m romance) numbers! I swear, there's just not enough coffee in the world today.

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, shoot, sorry Captcha. I totally misunderstood. I thought you were looking for Dreamspinner (m/m romance) numbers! I swear, there's just not enough coffee in the world today.

Oh, nope. Got my own m/m romance #s. Was wondering about the new kids on the block!

Thanks anyway, though!

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
My debut book comes out in a week, and I thought I'd share my experiences so far.

Editing

Every novel is assigned a senior editor and two other editors. Thus, every novel gets read a minimum of three times. My experience was a little different, though. I was told that because my book was already very clean, I would only be getting two rounds of edits. A post upthread said that the level of editing you'll receive will depend on how much you need. That's basically what happened to me.

I got two different types of comments: big stuff and little stuff. I was given notes on how to improve world-building (big stuff) and individual comments on the prose (little stuff). There wasn't much medium stuff (no notes on pacing or tension, no boring scenes pointed out). In other words, I wasn't really asked to do any serious revisions. But again, I'd already done a lot of revising on my own and had a lot of help from alphas and betas. One out my editors outright said she didn't see "much work" for her to do. So take that how you will.

Sales & Marketing

I can't speak for sales yet. And I'm actually not 100% sure about how far they go to market things or how they compare to other publishers. I know they have a long list of review sites they work with and send arcs to. I know they do preorders as much as a month in advance. I know I've seen small ads in a couple places. I was given advice on how to do a blog tour if I wanted to do a blog tour. I was given opportunities to appear on their facebook page and twitter as well.

Other

We ran into a couple hiccups along the way. Like, for example, my name is easy to spell wrong, and it was spelled wrong on the book. I missed it twice myself. However, I was impressed with how quickly these problems were straightened out. Communication was very easy and polite.

I had cover art, like, a month before the release date. Everything was done early. Everything. No last-minute problems, no unexpected surprises.

Anyway-- I had a good experience with them. They seem solid. I won't give them a resounding recommendation, because I'm a skeptic and my book hasn't actually come out yet. But I definitely enjoyed it, and I'm very pleased with the work they did. The book I signed a contract for is the first in a series, and I plan to submit the rest of the series to them.

Last edited:

S.C. Wynne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sc-wynne.com
My experience with them has been very much the same as yours, Viridian.

I love my Senior Editor. She is super approachable and easy to work with. I had a story in an anthology a few years ago and there was hardly any editing at all. But after selling them three stand alone books this year, I can say the editing was way more intensive. Nothing too difficult, just way more than for the anthology. Not sure about sales yet since they pay quarterly. :)

My debut book comes out in a week, and I thought I'd share my experiences so far.

Editing

Every novel is assigned a senior editor and two other editors. Thus, every novel gets read a minimum of three times. My experience was a little different, though. I was told that because my book was already very clean, I would only be getting two rounds of edits. A post upthread said that the level of editing you'll receive will depend on how much you need. That's basically what happened to me.

I got two different types of comments: big stuff and little stuff. I was given notes on how to improve world-building (big stuff) and individual comments on the prose (little stuff). There wasn't much medium stuff (no notes on pacing or tension, no boring scenes pointed out). In other words, I wasn't really asked to do any serious revisions. But again, I'd already done a lot of revising on my own and had a lot of help from alphas and betas. One out my editors outright said she didn't see "much work" for her to do. So take that how you will.

Sales & Marketing

I can't speak for sales yet. And I'm actually not 100% sure about how far they go to market things or how they compare to other publishers. I know they have a long list of review sites they work with and send arcs to. I know they do preorders as much as a month in advance. I know I've seen small ads in a couple places. I was given advice on how to do a blog tour if I wanted to do a blog tour. I was given opportunities to appear on their facebook page and twitter as well.

Other

We ran into a couple hiccups along the way. Like, for example, my name is easy to spell wrong, and it was spelled wrong on the book. I missed it twice myself. However, I was impressed with how quickly these problems were straightened out. Communication was very easy and polite.

I had cover art, like, a month before the release date. Everything was done early. Everything. No last-minute problems, no unexpected surprises.

Anyway-- I had a good experience with them. They seem solid. I won't give them a resounding recommendation, because I'm a skeptic and my book hasn't actually come out yet. But I definitely enjoyed it, and I'm very pleased with the work they did. The book I signed a contract for is the first in a series, and I plan to submit the rest of the series to them.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I have a few contracts with their Young Adult imprint, Harmony Ink. They have been a total dream to work with and I sincerely hope they continue. I know that Harmony Ink is making a lot of changes to their marketing for young adult titles and all of those changes seem to be steering the company in the right direction.

Only time will tell on the Sales front, but I'm glad that Dreamspinner has an active plan in light of what is happening with so many other smaller publishers.

Rebekkamaria

Pixie with dust, beware
Registered
Reaction score
What a respectful and responsible response from them. :) (and this sentence is weird)

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I've been nothing but happy with Dreamspinner and their Harmony Ink and DSP Publications imprints. I missed the post from Elizabeth yesterday; thanks for the link, Captcha!

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know! I didn't even realise they were closed to them until I saw your message. I submitted the Tiger's Watch to them in January when they were still accepting them.

I can ask my editor if by "general" they are including previously published authors or authors with agents.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know! I didn't even realise they were closed to them until I saw your message. I submitted the Tiger's Watch to them in January when they were still accepting them.

I can ask my editor if by "general" they are including previously published authors or authors with agents.

Thanks, Julia! I have a YA novella I'd like to submit to them.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
I asked, and they're closed to new submissions because they're filled up until the end of 2017 at present, and the volume of submissions has been huge. They will still consider work from authors who are already published with them, but we have to send a proposal first.
(I'm partly responsible - I have a new YA with them scheduled for late fall 2017!)

KimJo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Yeah, I'm scheduled through June 2017 with Harmony Ink. I think it's smart of them to close to external submissions and change the process for in-house authors right now, rather than trying to increase their production the way other publishers have done. The latter way might have become problematic in terms of resources, both pre-publication and marketing; this way, although some people now won't be able to submit, they at least aren't biting off more than they can chew.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's very smart of them. They're not going to end up a grayed-out name on the index, with business decisions like that :)

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
Change in DSP's advance policy?

Comment dated 25 May 2015:
And unlike a couple of other publishers I've worked with, DSP/Harmony Ink take the advances out of royalties only on the book the advance is for. (I have another publisher that takes the advance out of royalties on *all* books you have with them...)

Has this policy changed? I happened to stumble upon an anonymous comment on a blog this morning (comment dated 8 days ago) that says DSP is now pulling money from all your books' royalties for any advance not satisfied within a year of any given book's publication date. The implication here is that, for example, you can have three well-performing titles and three not so well-performing titles, and you won't see any royalty money for the ones selling well until such time as the non-performers' advances have been satisfied by royalties from the better-selling titles.

Can someone please verify if this change in Dreamspinner's policy is true?

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Comment dated 25 May 2015:

Has this policy changed? I happened to stumbled upon an anonymous comment on a blog this morning (comment dated 8 days ago) that says DSP is now pulling money from all your books' royalties for any advance not satisfied within a year of any given book's publication date. The implication here is that, for example, you can have three well-performing titles and three not so well-performing titles, and you won't see any royalty money for the ones selling well until such time as the non-performers' advances have been satisfied by royalties from the better-selling titles.

Can someone please verify if this change in Dreamspinner's policy is true?

Yikes. It certainly isn't true for any of my contracts with them, but it's been a while since I've signed one, to be honest. (Not because I don't still like DSP, just because I'm diversifying).

I know there was talk from them at one point of offering a no-advance model - apparently a significant number of authors found the advance too small to bother with. I can't remember if there was a sweetener to go with the no-advance model or not...

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your response, Captcha.

I'm nearing completion of a novel that I think would be a good fit for DSP, but after some moderate success self-publishing coupled with having been burnt by not one but two small (relatively speaking) presses prior to that, I want to be absolutely convinced that I will benefit from transitioning back to a commercial publisher and not get unpleasantly screwed again.

The recent blog comment I discovered could simply be a rumor; I don't know as there's no way to follow up with the poster. I'm just having a flashback moment remembering what happened the last two times a small publisher of mine went from a fair and generous royalty schema to a less fair and generous one midstream. Frankly, I'm not keen on submitting a novel-length work to any publisher that won't unequivocally demonstrate a vested interest in my work up front—meaning, for the specific work submitted—in the form of an advance reasonable for a publisher of its size, reach, and intended demographic.

DSP's website currently states (via a link to a PDF document under Publish With Us ---> Submission Guidelines, under the heading ADVANCES AND CONTRACT TERMS):

"All novels are contracted in print and digital formats, which are released simultaneously. A $500 - $1,000 advance is paid in a single payment upon receipt of the signed contract. Once the advance is satisfied, novels earn 40% royalties for digital sales and 30% royalties for paperback sales."

In my opinion, that's a fair advance and royalty structure for this particular publisher. Nowhere does the document specify that advances are satisfied by the pooling of all an author's titles. I could write to them directly, but I would rather hear an author experience on this topic rather than from the publisher at this time. PMs are welcome with discretion assured. I just don't want to dip my feet back into the small-publisher waters after so many years away and have them bite my toes off.

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you for your response, Captcha.

I'm nearing completion of a novel that I think would be a good fit for DSP, but after some moderate success self-publishing coupled with having been burnt by not one but two small (relatively speaking) presses prior to that, I want to be absolutely convinced that I will benefit from transitioning back to a commercial publisher and not get unpleasantly screwed again.

The recent blog comment I discovered could simply be a rumor; I don't know as there's no way to follow up with the poster. I'm just having a flashback moment remembering what happened the last two times a small publisher of mine went from a fair and generous royalty schema to a less fair and generous one midstream. Frankly, I'm not keen on submitting a novel-length work to any publisher that won't unequivocally demonstrate a vested interest in my work up front—meaning, for the specific work submitted—in the form of an advance reasonable for a publisher of its size, reach, and intended demographic.

DSP's website currently states (via a link to a PDF document under Publish With Us ---> Submission Guidelines, under the heading ADVANCES AND CONTRACT TERMS):

"All novels are contracted in print and digital formats, which are released simultaneously. A $500 - $1,000 advance is paid in a single payment upon receipt of the signed contract. Once the advance is satisfied, novels earn 40% royalties for digital sales and 30% royalties for paperback sales."

In my opinion, that's a fair advance and royalty structure for this particular publisher. Nowhere does the document specify that advances are satisfied by the pooling of all an author's titles. I could write to them directly, but I would rather hear an author experience on this topic rather than from the publisher at this time. PMs are welcome with discretion assured. I just don't want to dip my feet back into the small-publisher waters after so many years away and have them bite my toes off.

I understand your caution.

At the same time, if you only have one book with them (while you wait to see if you like them) it won't really matter if they apply royalties to one advance or two, right?

Not trying to pressure you, but it would suck if you walked away from a good deal when you didn't have to.

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
I understand your caution.

At the same time, if you only have one book with them (while you wait to see if you like them) it won't really matter if they apply royalties to one advance or two, right?

No, it won't.

But what if I am happy with the financial results of that first novel and decide to send them another? If I'm interpreting this process correctly (and I may not be, which is totally why I'm asking this question in a place where I know smart, publishing-savvy people hang out), it means that the following scenario could possibly occur:

1. I submit Novel #1 to Publisher ABC. They accept it, I get that nice one-grand advance, and all is right with my world.
  2. I'm so happy with Publisher ABC after several royalty-payment periods that I decide to submit another book to them, Novel #2.
  3. For the sake of argument, Novel #2 is a stand-alone not related in any way to Novel #1.
  4. Novel #1 is a hit. I'm thrilled with those royalty payments that keep rolling in.
  5. Publisher ABC is also happy with what they've been earning from my Novel #1.
  6. Whee! Publisher ABC accepts my Novel #2 and pays me another sweet $1000 advance.
  7. ​Novel #2 tanks, big time. *sad trombone* Unfortunately, there's no crystal ball that can predict which books will perform well, and which ones will go belly-up-splat.
  8. Instead of receiving my now-accustomed Novel-#1-is-Awesome royalty payment the following month, I get . . . zip. Publisher ABC is taking my royalties still being earned by Novel #1 (whom I shall call Peter), to pay off the advance that's not earning out for them at all from Novel #2 (whom I shall name Paul).

That's not on me. I wrote a novel the publisher took a chance on that did well, and wrote another book the publisher took a chance on that didn't do well. I don't think my first book should be penalized because neither I nor the publisher possesses a crystal ball.

Publishing is a risky business, for both the publisher and the author. I don't want to shake hands with a publisher who isn't willing to share the risk.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
No, it won't.

But what if I am happy with the financial results of that first novel and decide to send them another? If I'm interpreting this process correctly (and I may not be, which is totally why I'm asking this question in a place where I know smart, publishing-savvy people hang out), it means that the following scenario could possibly occur:

1. I submit Novel #1 to Publisher ABC. They accept it, I get that nice one-grand advance, and all is right with my world.
  2. I'm so happy with Publisher ABC after several royalty-payment periods that I decide to submit another book to them, Novel #2.
  3. For the sake of argument, Novel #2 is a stand-alone not related in any way to Novel #1.
  4. Novel #1 is a hit. I'm thrilled with those royalty payments that keep rolling in.
  5. Publisher ABC is also happy with what they've been earning from my Novel #1.
  6. Whee! Publisher ABC accepts my Novel #2 and pays me another sweet $1000 advance.
  7. ​Novel #2 tanks, big time. *sad trombone* Unfortunately, there's no crystal ball that can predict which books will perform well, and which ones will go belly-up-splat.
  8. Instead of receiving my now-accustomed Novel-#1-is-Awesome royalty payment the following month, I get . . . zip. Publisher ABC is taking my royalties still being earned by Novel #1 (whom I shall call Peter), to pay off the advance that's not earning out for them at all from Novel #2 (whom I shall name Paul).

That's not on me. I wrote a novel the publisher took a chance on that did well, and wrote another book the publisher took a chance on that didn't do well. I don't think my first book should be penalized because neither I nor the publisher possesses a crystal ball.

Publishing is a risky business, for both the publisher and the author. I don't want to shake hands with a publisher who isn't willing to share the risk.

I'd contact them directly, then, rather than asking authors. It'd be good to get a firm answer rather than a lot of "I'm not sure, that's not how it was for me" or "Yes, that's how it was for me." You really need to know how it will be for you, right?

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I got an e-mail from someone who wasn't comfortable posting publicly. She sent me a copy of an e-mail that seems to show that the blending of outstanding advances wasn't a contractual term but was rather done to tidy up some small outstanding advances (less than $25) on a couple books.

There was a line in the e-mail about the author contacting DSP if this move would create "undue hardship", which I suppose means they're treating this as a suggestion rather than a fact? The author says there was no term in her contract to allow for this move but she didn't object because the amount was so negligible. She also said she wasn't impressed in general with her experiences at DSP, especially re. sales - says they did no promo for her title.

(That hasn't been my experience with DSP, but I trust her that it was hers).

I checked my most recent contract and it did say that "In the event that additional works by the same author are currently being marketed by the publisher, royalty accounts from all such titles shall be combined with that for this work." Assuming that means joint accounts, then I guess maybe this has been a term of the contract for a while but they haven't been enforcing it?

I'm going to go back to my suggestion to contact the publisher directly with this sort of question. It's not all that important what the terms of someone else's contract are, it's important what the terms of your contract are. Of course, I'd probably wait until I had an MS accepted by them before asking the question - no point putting the cart before the horse?

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
It's not all that important what the terms of someone else's contract are, it's important what the terms of your contract are.

QFT.

Of course, I'd probably wait until I had an MS accepted by them before asking the question - no point putting the cart before the horse?

Also true, to a point. If I had confirmation that DSP was pooling titles for advance earn-out purposes, I wouldn't waste my time putting together a submission according to their specifications.

Your acquaintance's implication that no promo was done for her title is also worrying, especially since you didn't have that same experience. That's a whole other can of worms, the selective promotion of some authors over others. I have a lot to think about, at any rate.

Captcha, I sincerely thank you for the time you spent on my inquiry. You've been most helpful.

KimJo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I can confirm that, in order to facilitate accounting, DSP (including all imprints) is in fact pooling royalties from all titles in order to satisfy unfulfilled advances. Or at least I can confirm that they're doing so with one of my books, which was published two years ago and has yet to earn out the advance. I also received the message to let them know if their doing this created a hardship. I've not had any difficulties with DSP promoting/marketing my books; they've done an excellent job. The book that hasn't earned out has suffered from poor reviews, and from being categorized as adult romance when it probably should have been New Adult (which wasn't a category DSP had until recently).

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
I can confirm that, in order to facilitate accounting, DSP (including all imprints) is in fact pooling royalties from all titles in order to satisfy unfulfilled advances. Or at least I can confirm that they're doing so with one of my books, which was published two years ago and has yet to earn out the advance. I also received the message to let them know if their doing this created a hardship.

Was the possibility of this process specified in your original contract?