• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dreamspinner Press

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Just sold a short story for a flat fee (probably to the same anthology as Becky Black), and received payment within two days of returning the signed contract. I'd also note that I was notified that the story had been accepted within a few days of the anthology closing to submissions.

That's how it worked for me too. The payment popped into my PayPal account very soon after returning the contract.

There was a choice of cheque or Paypal. Obviously not being in the US, Paypal is more convenient for me.

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
Received my email about the editing process yesterday, and am impressed. As Becky Black said, even for an experienced author it's a useful guide to how *this* publisher does things, and I think it would be very helpful for inexperienced authors.

Now I just have to go and tear my hair out filling in the blurb worksheet. They are a necessary evil, but I hate doing worksheets, although not as much as I hate writing a synopsis.

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
For those of you who track these things... I submitted Hawks & Rams to DSP on March 3rd, was offered a contract late April 3rd. How's that for precision? :)

Needless to say, I signed!

I have no words for how stoked I am! I've been a self-publisher up until now, so this will be very interesting.

TheDancingWriter

To dance and write is divine.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
amberskyeforbes.wordpress.com
I actually plan on submitting to Harmony Ink Press when I get my book done. They follow me on Tumblr and are pretty fond of my writing advice, so I'm rather excited. Just got to let the stress of school not tear me apart so that way when I try to revise my brain isn't being annihilated by a black hole.

wordsmithy

M/M Erotica Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
manuscript turnaround

To the folks here who've submitted to them, what is their turnaround for unsolicited manuscripts? More or less their stated eight weeks?

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with their YA imprint Harmony Ink - took six weeks for me.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Now I'm waiting to hear back on that anthology call. It closed in mid-April. Has anyone else here dealt with their anthologies, and have their own timeline to share? I ask because I'm thinking of self-publishing the short if the Dreamspinner editor doesn't want it, and I need to start rolling on cover art.

wordsmithy

M/M Erotica Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's coming up to seven weeks for me, but then I'm guessing that their main press gets more submissions.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
It's usually 6-8 weeks for me to hear back from either imprint (I'm with both Dreamspinner and Harmony Ink).

Filigree, I'd give it another couple weeks or so before you nudge. If they closed the call at the stated time, they may need a while to get through all the submissions.

I submitted back in December to a Harmony Ink antho call that was originally slated to close March 1, and I never heard, nor did I nudge... and then I found out on Tumblr a couple of weeks ago that they'd moved the deadline to May 1.

The Harmony Ink side of things doesn't get as many submissions at this point as Dreamspinner, so they seem to move a bit faster, at least from acceptance to release. I submitted a novel to DSP proper at the beginning of November and got an acceptance about a month later; I submitted a novel to Harmony Ink at the beginning of January and got an acceptance at the end of February. But the Harmony title is slated to release a month or two before the DSP title. (In fact, I have final galleys of the Harmony title sitting in my inbox, whereas I just did second-round edits on the DSP title last weekend.)

Last edited:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Two years ago I waited eight weeks to the day if I remember correctly on a sub with them.

Aquarius

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I know Harmony Ink is Dreamspinner's YA line, but I was curious as whether DS is working with New Adult? Technically, both of my heroes in Ying and Yang fall in the age range of New Adult (19-24), even if the story itself leans more toward the adult aspect (they have jobs, aren't thinking about college, more romantic in nature, etc).

Last edited:

KimJo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I don't know whether they're officially terming it New Adult, but my contracted Dreamspinner novel that's coming out this summer has main characters who are 22, dealing with trying to make it as a band, living on their own, dealing with a crappy landlord, etc., so it definitely would fit the new adult category.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Forgot to check back in: got my rejection from the Taste of Honey anthology around May 8. I'm fine with it, since I'm expanding the 7K story to a novella, and I've already pitched it somewhere else.

Still would love to sell something to Dreamspinner someday.

meg_b

One step closer.
Registered
Reaction score
Stupid question (Okay, quite honestly, I hope it's not a stupid question). This is the first time I will be sending anything to a publisher and I'm quite nervous, so please forgive me. Dreamspinner asks for your legal name, story summary etc, etc in an email. Is it done in the structure of a formal email?

KimJo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Meg, I do mine like a formal letter:

[Legal name], writing as Karenna Colcroft
[email address]
Hello,
I am writing to submit [Title, subgenre, word count]
Summary
Summary continued
My writing credentials for both pen names, in my case emphasizing my previous Dreamspinner/Harmony Ink titles
Thank you for your consideration,
Sincerely,
Legal Name.

And then I attach the 2-page-or-so story synopsis, as well as the full manuscript.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Stupid question (Okay, quite honestly, I hope it's not a stupid question). This is the first time I will be sending anything to a publisher and I'm quite nervous, so please forgive me. Dreamspinner asks for your legal name, story summary etc, etc in an email. Is it done in the structure of a formal email?

I subbed to their YA imprint, but they ask for the same info. I sent a pretty formal email, yes. After a brief and polite introduction, I wrote something in the line of "As per your submission guidelines..." and added the legal name info, the email and the story summary etc etc in the body of the email.

Fingers crossed for you!

KimJo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Oh, and for those who are curious... My second novel with Harmony Ink came out on Thursday. That's it over there in my avatar.

In addition to excellent editing, and flexibility from their editorial department as far as things they suggested changing that I felt shouldn't be, they put the book up for pre-order on their site and Omnilit/All Romance Ebooks a few weeks ago. They sent me an ad pack with various sized graphics of the cover, including a Facebook cover image (that I need to put on my Facebook page because I keep forgetting). On release day, their marketing person contacted me to ask whether I'd be willing to help "guinea pig" a promo idea they had, which resulted in additional sales of the new book and even more of the previous book to which this one is a direct sequel.

And I hadn't noticed it until today, but... When we were getting Shoulder Pads and Flannel ready for publication, they asked if I wanted to do a series title, since I had a couple more books planned for this universe. We brainstormed a title, and not only did they put it on the listings for this book, but they went back and added it to all the listings for the previous book. Which sounds like a small thing, but I've had other series with other publishers with which that kind of thing didn't happen.

meg_b

One step closer.
Registered
Reaction score
Meg, I do mine like a formal letter:

[Legal name], writing as Karenna Colcroft
[email address]
Hello,
I am writing to submit [Title, subgenre, word count]
Summary
Summary continued
My writing credentials for both pen names, in my case emphasizing my previous Dreamspinner/Harmony Ink titles
Thank you for your consideration,
Sincerely,
Legal Name.

And then I attach the 2-page-or-so story synopsis, as well as the full manuscript.

Thank you so much for your help! I really, really appreciate it!

I subbed to their YA imprint, but they ask for the same info. I sent a pretty formal email, yes. After a brief and polite introduction, I wrote something in the line of "As per your submission guidelines..." and added the legal name info, the email and the story summary etc etc in the body of the email.

Fingers crossed for you!

Thank you! I really, really appreciate the info. :D

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Oh, and for those who are curious... My second novel with Harmony Ink came out on Thursday. That's it over there in my avatar.

In addition to excellent editing, and flexibility from their editorial department as far as things they suggested changing that I felt shouldn't be, they put the book up for pre-order on their site and Omnilit/All Romance Ebooks a few weeks ago. They sent me an ad pack with various sized graphics of the cover, including a Facebook cover image (that I need to put on my Facebook page because I keep forgetting). On release day, their marketing person contacted me to ask whether I'd be willing to help "guinea pig" a promo idea they had, which resulted in additional sales of the new book and even more of the previous book to which this one is a direct sequel.

And I hadn't noticed it until today, but... When we were getting Shoulder Pads and Flannel ready for publication, they asked if I wanted to do a series title, since I had a couple more books planned for this universe. We brainstormed a title, and not only did they put it on the listings for this book, but they went back and added it to all the listings for the previous book. Which sounds like a small thing, but I've had other series with other publishers with which that kind of thing didn't happen.

That's really good to hear, Kimjo. After a break, I'm back contract editing with guys, and I've got to say, they treat the staff side just as well too. It's a pleasure working for them. And good luck with the new release. :)

Last edited:

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
I have a short story coming out in their 'Hot Off The Press' anthology and have to say I'm very impressed with their editing. I especially like that they reference and check everything.