Web Site Says Justice Department Demanded It Secretly Turn Over Readers' Information

POPASMOKE

Keep your turns up
Registered
Reaction score
An independent news Web site says the Department of Justice ordered it to release detailed information on its readers -- then directed the site to keep quiet about the demand.
Kristina Clair, systems administrator for Indymedia.us, said she was shocked when she received a subpoena from U.S. Attorney Tim Morrison in Indianapolis in January demanding the IP address of every person who visited the site on June 25, 2008. She said she was also instructed "not to disclose the existence of this request unless authorized by the Assistant U.S. Attorney."
(Bolding mine)
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/200...tly-turn-readers-information/?test=latestnews

Ultimately they didn't comply and the feds dropped the subpoena.

Scary!

Makes you wonder how many sites we all visit may have received the same demands that we're unaware of.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
They have been doing this for many years now. No one should be surprised.

But certain corporations and groups of corporations, christened under our capitalist economic system, have been doing worse with the DMCA. Subpoenas galore.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
WIth the proliferation of the Internet I'm sure this (government entities getting court orders for website and other log files) happens a lot.
Anyone know what might be so important about that date??

June 25, 2008??
I'll guess that someone did something online on that date that got the attention of the Justice Department. Maybe they found a computer that was apparently used for some nefarious purposes, it has that site in the cache or a cookie from that site on that date, and they're looking for more clues on who used that computer and from where. It could be lots of things along those lines.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I'm thinking that, since the request did not have the proper authorization, and that the AG's office says they didn't even see the request, that somebody may have been doing some personal business on Uncle Sam's stationary, and may or may not have gotten caught.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score