• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Living Word Literary Agency (Kimberly Shumate)

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Okay, just got an offer here, which depends upon my willingness to clean up the manuscript a bit for the Christian market (It's a female-centric thriller). Which is kind of refreshing actually. Taking out the "fu..king JC's" and God-dms is quite all right with me. I'll also be on the lookout for gratuitous or hardcore sex, which I'm sure is lacking in the pages anyway

Now, it bothers me slightly that Kim's new. I just let an agent go that had an abysmal track record after five years--about four fiction sales for 29 clients. Stunningly bad. And I do believe only two of those sales were to a major.

I'm really going to have a discussion with her about SF and Fantasy, since they are my strong suit. Not to say that I can't continue on with mainstream and thrillers, but I do have some talent in world-building.

She does have loads of experience for a starter. I like that. It really comes out in her correspondence. I'll ask some questions. But I'm assuming she will first target the large Christian publishers, including her own old outfit

We'll see. I still have a ton of fulls and partials out there. But this has been a very nice contact so far. Nice ego stroke, knowing that someone fell head over heels for my voice.

Tri
Congratulations! I'll be looking forward to further news.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, just got an offer here, which depends upon my willingness to clean up the manuscript a bit for the Christian market (It's a female-centric thriller). Which is kind of refreshing actually. Taking out the "fu..king JC's" and God-dms is quite all right with me. I'll also be on the lookout for gratuitous or hardcore sex, which I'm sure is lacking in the pages anyway

Take a look at some of the CBA-focused publishers' guidelines, because there are likely to be things you haven't thought of (no card-playing, for instance, at some of the publishers, and there's at least one who doesn't want dancing).

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
I was told as a child by one relative that card playing lead to gambling. sin.

Dancing meant that men and women, who were not married and were not engaged were touching each other. Temptation leading to sin

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Different denominations caution their congregants against card-playing, dancing, and/or drinking--many CBA-facing publishers want to reach the broadest range possible of readers who self-identify as Christian, including members of those denominations.

Mia Moore

Brand spanking
Registered
Reaction score
After a few semi-strange e-mails with this agent, it was a mutual pass. Although she seems polite, the correspondence ran very hot and cold. I don't think she was the right fit for my manuscript to begin with. Lesson? Fully research the agency prior to the query.
On the plus side, I got a request for a full from an agent I'd queried and written off back in early September. So hope still floats. And just when I was ready to quit for the hundreth time now!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Same here. She seemed a bit rushed with me. When I told her that I had other agents considering me, she seemed happy, but very T-ied off, and chose to pass, withdrawing her offer. I didn't mean to offend her at all, but she brought up the "no multiple submissions" rule that appears on her website. I didn't see that and must have glossed over it. Just be careful here--she's offering contracts on partials and I'm wondering how any editor/publisher can fully evaluate a book without reading the entire manuscript. It's obvious she can spot talent, but a book CAN fall completely to pieces mid-line or at the end.

Tri

Mia Moore

Brand spanking
Registered
Reaction score
Same here. She seemed a bit rushed with me. When I told her that I had other agents considering me, she seemed happy, but very T-ied off, and chose to pass, withdrawing her offer. I didn't mean to offend her at all, but she brought up the "no multiple submissions" rule that appears on her website. I didn't see that and must have glossed over it. Just be careful here--she's offering contracts on partials and I'm wondering how any editor/publisher can fully evaluate a book without reading the entire manuscript. It's obvious she can spot talent, but a book CAN fall completely to pieces mid-line or at the end.

Tri

Re - the "no multiple submissions rule"...IMHO any agent worth her salt would presume that most writers with a freshly finished manuscript in hand will be riding the query-go-round until they get dizzy.
I agree with the offers on partials, too. This sent little alarm bells off for me, yet I ignored them.
I think, Tri, that there was no great loss here on the offer withdrawl. Best to you with the other agent.

LateNightLady

Yield to the beauty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
latenightlady.deviantart.com
Believe it or not- there are quite a few agents that require exclusive submissions. With Kimberly being an editor for 12 years, I am pretty sure she knows what she's doing.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I've never heard of an agent who /requires/ exclusives, unless you mean agents who ask for the exclusive when they request a full. In which case just putting a note on your website isn't enough; you need to state, when you request the full ms, that you're asking for an exclusive and for a specific time period, and it has to be agreed to by the writer. My agent wanted an exclusive on the full but read it anyway when I said I couldn't give him one.

Most don't ask anymore, though. It's nowhere near as common as it used to be. I had seven fulls out when my agent requested it and he was the only one who asked for an exclusive, and it was only for a week.

LateNightLady

Yield to the beauty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
latenightlady.deviantart.com
Sending out an update: Signed with Ms. Shumate in 2009 and after a year, I ended the contract. In the end, it bothered me that she never read the entire MS nor edited it. In fact, she suggest I get it edited elsewhere.

Lesson learned (which i was warned about on this site). Wrote a new book - not querying her again.

Aside from that, she is very polite and professional. The split was not due to anything other than my desire for a more in depth agent.

Last edited:

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this up looking for an update. I am getting ready to query her. I have had zero interest in my latest work, so if she shows great interest off a partial, I want to be cautious. LateNightLady's last post worried me at the part where she mentioned getting it edited elsewhere.

Any updates are appreciated. Not having any interest so far, I would be very excited to get an offer, but if the behavior I read in the previous posts is still going on, I may want to tone down my excitement.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
Bumping this up looking for an update. I am getting ready to query her. I have had zero interest in my latest work, so if she shows great interest off a partial, I want to be cautious. LateNightLady's last post worried me at the part where she mentioned getting it edited elsewhere.

Any updates are appreciated. Not having any interest so far, I would be very excited to get an offer, but if the behavior I read in the previous posts is still going on, I may want to tone down my excitement.

It's always worth toning down the excitement. As Uncle Jim reminds us, the only thing worse than not being published is being badly published.

Are the stats in your sig accurate? If so, you are a long way from worrying yet, but even so, run your query past the squirrels, run your opening through SYW. There are folks here who've sent out 250 queries before getting an agent/publisher.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Closed agency May '16 to go into editing full time.