AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agency] Graybill & English

practical experience, FTW

[Agency] Graybill & English

Does anyone have any info on agents Graybill and English? Good or bad? Thanks!

Ruled by Dachshunds smallthunder's Avatar

Talking Graybill & English

The agency is listed in the 2005 Guide to Literary Agents, and is recognized as legit on P&E. There is a photograph of the agents, with bios, and background information on the agency available at http://www.fictionaddiction.net/

Everything I have read about this agency is positive -- as for my own experience, I received a very flattering response to my query letter. They've had my partial manuscript for three months now ... frustrating ... but their entry in the Guide says 3 - 6 months turn-around time, so ...

Hope this helps!
    "'Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied; 'and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.'

Ruled by Dachshunds smallthunder's Avatar

Thumbs down Update

Well, I finally heard back from Graybill & English -- the agent Lynn Whittaker, to be more precise. Besides taking more than four months to get back to me regarding the partial she requested ... she declined to represent my novel because, she said, of the difficulty in getting mysteries published these days ...

My book is an historical novel, and in no way resembles a mystery!

Grrr.
    Last edited by smallthunder; 08-23-2005 at 09:31 AM.
    "'Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied; 'and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.'

Always a writer Daughter of Faulkner's Avatar

Lightbulb Good agency

Sorry for your long wait.
    I know that this is indeed a fine agency, though.

Always a writer,
    Eileen St. Lauren
    Author

http://mysite.verizon.net/eileenstlauren

Dave Diamantes

Lynn Whittaker

Graybill and English is legit. Ms. Whittaker declined to represent my novel after reading five chapters, but wrote me a personal letter. It took several months, which is what I expected. I consider it a positive experience.

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar

News about Graybill and English

Graybill & English is no longer accepting clients.

After eight wonderful, successful years the principals of Graybill & English, LLC and The Graybill & English Literary Agency, LLC have decided to embark on new and separate endeavors. Graybill & English, LLC will cease active operations effective February 28, 2006.

We want to assure all clients and authors that Graybill & English, LLC will continue to fulfill all financial and escrow obligations until such expire under all current agreements. We also want to assure all current and past clients of the law firm and all authors and submitters to the literary agency that the individual attorney or agent with whom they have been working (or to whom they submitted materials) has custody of all relevant files, manuscripts, and other documents. That individual agent or attorney should be contacted directly with any questions or for any needed follow-up.

I wondered what happened after Elaine requested the first three chapters, I never heard back.
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar
    Scott Hoffman of Folio also worked for Graybill and English. He and Jeff Kleinman founded Folio in late 2005, I believe. I don't know exactly why Graybill and English folded.

Print release:Sept.1,'09 Branwyn's Avatar
    Perhaps that's why they embarked on their own.

Curiouser...and curiouser
    The Hanging Tree-WIP
    Harvest Moon-WIP
    myspace.com/elladonna
    The Upside of Karma

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I just wanted to update this thread, because according to their Web site, Graybill and English are no more. See www.graybillandenglish.com/ for info and links.

Just an update. As of the date of my posting their site is down.

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar
    Elaine English is on her own now. Her website is: www.elaineenglish.com. She's also a lawyer and provides legal services.
    DRAGONFLY NIGHTMARE: YA Romantic Suspense - Available Now!
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Suspense - (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

Hi Erin. Thank you. I'll query her today. Will keep you posted on the outcome. :-)