• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Some Bewares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobel318

Beta Readers!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm new around here, and I needed to make sure that I wasn't being scammed. I've done a little bit of researcher, but I need a second opinion. Has anyone ever heard of Black Rose Writing (with Reagan Rothe) or Dorrance Publishing?
I know Dorrance is a subsidiary but I'm a first time author and I need to get my foot in the door. Now these two seem ligit, but I'd definitely like someone to confirm this for me. Dorrance's website is a little iffy (I googled them and looked at the first two sites that came up). I got them both out of the Literary Marketplace, but I've seen others with scams on there, so I just thought I'd ask.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sobel, and welcome to AW.

Both these publishers already have threads here in the Bewares and Background Check. To find one you're interested in looking up, either plug their name into the Search box at the top menu, or in the Google search bar at the bottom of the forums and make sure you select the www.absolutewrite.com radio button instead of the Web button. If the publisher or agent you're looking for has a thread here, a search will help you find it. I can't recall about Dorrance Publishing, but Black Rose Writing is definitely one to avoid if I recall correctly.

Literary Marketplace is not a very reliable source. I think all it takes to be listed there is to fill out a sheet. The places you want to check for legit folks are here, Preditors and Editors, AgentQuery and Publisher's Marketplace. Research thoroughly before you start sending your work anywhere, because being unpublished is far better than being published badly. Do lots of research, and don't rush it. Always remember, if they can't get your book on a shelf (or in the case of an epublisher, in front of a wide readership) then they can't get your foot in the door.

Sobel318

Beta Readers!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you guys so much for the help! MRJ Le Blanc, that reminds me of the actor Matt LeBlanc (who played Joey from Friends). Anyways.
Is there a database or a thread on here somewhere that recommends publishers instead of warning about poor ones? I've been through almost the whole Marketplace book, and still I didn't find anything that was too helpful (most of the publishers either need an agent, or want you to be all ready published, or have restrictions on what they publish).
Any help for a newbie?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Go to AgentQuery and QueryTracker and find agents that rep your genre, then check Preditors and Editors and look for agents with $ by their name to indicate actual sales. You can also check here for more information about them from others who have submitted to them.

Always check on Google by putting [agent's name] and SCAM in the search box to see if anything pops that way.

Deleted member 42

A good agent has actual sales of books by authors you can find in your local bookstores and libraries--and genuine agents love to talk about their authors' books.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a database or a thread on here somewhere that recommends publishers instead of warning about poor ones?
As James Macdonald often says: the bookstore is your best database.

Go to your local bookstore. Go to the section with the type/genre of book you write. Make a list of the names of the publishers whose books are there on the shelf. That's your recommended list.

If you have to pay your publisher for anything, ever, you're putting your foot in the wrong door.

Status
Not open for further replies.