Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Fun with Lithium

Fun with Lithium

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...r-planets.html

Interesting. It's amazing the thing you can potentially learn about a star system simply from the star's composition.
    --Eric
    VPXIII
    Taos Toolbox 2010
    The Obligatory Facebook Link

Banned
    That's pretty cool. So we'll be able to determine if a star had planets in its orbit just by its lithium levels - I wonder why that is though.

It explains that in the article. Our sun has a low lithium content because the lithium is in the planets.
    --Eric
    VPXIII
    Taos Toolbox 2010

Quote Originally Posted by efkelley View Post
    It explains that in the article. Our sun has a low lithium content because the lithium is in the planets.
    It doesn't say that. It says the planets create more convection currents within the sun that move the Lithium towards the hotter core.
    I try to write novels and poetry but it would appear that making music is a more fruitful endeavour for me.

Ah, true. I should probably fix my lithium-based eyes.
    --Eric
    VPXIII
    Taos Toolbox 2010

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
    It doesn't say that. It says the planets create more convection currents within the sun that move the Lithium towards the hotter core.
    It says that, but also that this is the current idea, and it still hasn't been tested. The low levels of lithium has been confirmed, but this part is still an idea.

This is fantab. I'm writing an extra-solar colony novel.
    Facebook

My history Blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear

My Quilting Blog: A Stitch in Time

WIP: For Love or Country rough draft
    Chapter One complete 2,034

There are a number of stars that are considered very very similar to our Sun (and thus may favor planet, life, and be better targets for SETI investigation)

The best possibility is 200 light years away, and one reason the science-daddies like it is: low lithium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIP_56948

I'd read about the lithium but really didn't understand why lithium mattered so much until the above. thanks.

It's named "Intipa Awachan" in Draco.

No, seriously, that's not the alien name ... ... it's in our constellation of Draco, and they gave it an Inca name that means "Sun's twin" in their mythology.

"Intipa Awachan"

As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world - that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves. -Mahatma Gandhi.
    Seven sins of life: Politics without principle. Commerce without morality. Wealth without work. Education without character. Science without humanity. Pleasure without conscience. Worship without sacrifice.

Banned
    I gotta say, for something that's supposedly science fact, the article used the phrase "burned up" to hypothesize what happened to the lithium. Burn? Like combustion? A star is a big ball of dense plasma! What they really mean is "transmute" or "fuse" or something in the nuclear realm, not the chemical.

Freaking irritating, from a website that should know better.