Agent name in subject line?

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
Hi,

When sending an e-query to a specific agent using an agency's general submissions address (queries@suchandsuch), do you include the agent's name in the subject line? It just dawned on me that I never have. I always write my genre and the name of the manuscript. What's everybody's take on this?

Thanks in advance.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard from agents at conferences that "Query:BOOK TITLE - Genre/Concept" works the best. For example:

"Query: TWILIGHT - YA Romance with vampires"

The agent said that the reasoning behind the mini-description is that sometimes the concept will catch their eye or trigger interest, and it might get read faster than just a generic query heading.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

When sending an e-query to a specific agent using an agency's general submissions address (queries@suchandsuch), do you include the agent's name in the subject line?

I generally do that, but in most cases it won't make much difference if you have the name in the letter. I also put the genre in the subject line, along with the word query, and the title in all caps.

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
The agent said that the reasoning behind the mini-description is that sometimes the concept will catch their eye or trigger interest, and it might get read faster than just a generic query heading.

This is also why it's important to have a good, eye-catching title, instead of something that's been on six other books and two band albums before you. :)

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
Thanks for the responses. I never thought of putting the agent's name in the subject line until I read this article:

http://www.writersdigest.com/article/24-agents-who-want-your-work-2009

Michelle Brower and Jessica Sinsheimer both say to put their names in the subject line. Maybe it saves the intern who is forwarding the queries to the correct agents the trouble of opening them first?