AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] Prometheus Books

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Thumbs up [Publisher] Prometheus Books

Do you know anything about Prometheus Books Publishing Company? They are at www.prometheusbooks.com

Are they a print on demand publisher?

Are they a large publishing house?

Do you know if they are reputable?

Thank you,

Ken

practical experience, FTW frandavea's Avatar
    The first sign they are NOT a vanity press is that the website is geared toward readers, not writers. Vanity press websites always target writers trying to publish.
    D.M. Anderson
    http://dmanderson.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/frandavea

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
    Shaken (Echelon Press)
    With the Wicked (on submission)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

Always writing AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    They're literally 3 blocks from my house, in one of those suburban business parks. They are quite reputable within their niche. I used to freelance copyedit for them, eons ago. They're geared more toward nonfic than fic. They're not large, but they're well-known. Good luck if you choose to sub to them!

It's a doggy dog world benbradley's Avatar
    I don't think it's large overall compared to the usual big-name publishers, but Prometheus is large for the types of books it publishes (while it publishes a range of books, it's known for science-oriented titles, especially those skeptical of parapsychology and religion, and Prometheus did it before it was "cool"). and it has been around for decades. Its titles aren't THAT common in the big-box bookstores, but there are surely some there. I have several books published by Prometheus, as well as a couple of its catalogs from about ten years ago.

Prometheus is absolutely a legitimate, reputable (at least as far as this reader knows) "real" commercial publisher.

It's NOT a POD or vanity publisher/printer, or anything of that ilk.
    Ello.
    NaNoWriMo 2014: Unknown.
    Tweets daily or so.

haz own threads Little Red Barn's Avatar
    Great publisher, deals with super agents too.

practical experience, FTW

SF/F imprint Pyr accepting unagented submissions

I'm not sure if this forum is the right place to post this (I also posted in the Sci Fi/Fantasy forum), but for those SF/F writers who want to bypass the agent, this is for you (posted on GalleyCat today):

The science fiction and fantasy imprint Pyr is now accepting unagented submissions in a few select subgenres: epic fantasy, sword & sorcery, and contemporary/urban fantasy. They will not be accepting unagented manuscripts in the genres of horror, science fiction, or slipstream, nor do they seek short story collections, anthologies, novellas or nonfiction.
    Pyr is an imprint at Prometheus Books, and announced the news on their blog yesterday. According to the post, the imprint seeks manuscripts that are between 100,000 and 130,000-words. The site notes that they will not accept science fiction work that is less than 85,000-words, nor fantasy work under 95,000-words.

ChaosTitan already posted this yesterday in Sci-Fi/F. We were discussing it there.
    Twitter | Pinterest | WordPress | Tumblr

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION

A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    Looks interesting, will have to do some background research as their guidelines do not tell about formating, pay, or anything else other than how to submitt to Renee...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
    ChaosTitan already posted this yesterday in Sci-Fi/F. We were discussing it there.
    Sorry about the double post. Though I'm not writing in the genre, I got excited for those who are, as this may be another avenue for publication. Good luck to you all who submit!

In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasis of Austin.
    They seem to be growing even more:

Prometheus Books has announced the launch of Seventh Street Books, a new mystery and thriller imprint, with titles expected in fall/winter 2012–2013.

Story here.

Their submissions email address keeps being kicked back with a "there is no such server" type error. Any good email address for submissions?

Prometheus prefers submissions by mail, per their guidelines, but are you getting bounces from sending to editorial@prometheusbooks.com? If so, do you have any attachments? Because that address won't accept attachments.

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    for a book review a day, every day!
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,
    where you'll find reviews of
    free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!

Quote Originally Posted by IceCreamEmpress View Post
    Prometheus prefers submissions by mail, per their guidelines, but are you getting bounces from sending to editorial@prometheusbooks.com? If so, do you have any attachments? Because that address won't accept attachments.
    Mr Sears said he was accepting email queries on his website and asked them to be sent to him at prometheusbooks.com. I think it a computer issue. I shall try again.

coffee and pistols at dawn KateJJ's Avatar
    I just read that chief editor Lou Anders is leaving Pyr:

http://www.staffersbookreview.com/20...try-again.html

From what I understand, Anders was the chief face and driving engine behind Pyr. I'd definitely hesitate to submit there until things shake out.
    Published: "The Golden Knight", B@en Fantasy @dventure winner

Ouch. Pyr was on my query list, too. < Scratch that off until further notice. >

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

tenured at Mammon U nealraisman's Avatar
    Thanks for the information on Seventh Street Press. i have a msyteru I am looking to place.

Quote Originally Posted by KateJJ View Post

From what I understand, Anders was the chief face and driving engine behind Pyr. I'd definitely hesitate to submit there until things shake out.
    Gah! Thanks Kate. My bad luck: I just sent a query package to them in August.

practical experience, FTW polleekin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KateJJ View Post

I can confirm the author payment issues mentioned in the article and in the comments. A year behind, not good. I agree -- I recommend not submitting until we see what happens now that Lou Anders is gone and until their financial, er, backlog is fully resolved.

practical experience, FTW kelliewallace's Avatar

Seventh Street Books

I remember submitting to these guys a while back, but only came across them again when I spotted one of their titles on Amazon. Has anyone dealt with them? They only do crime by the looks of it.

http://www.seventhstreetbooks.com/submissions.html
    Last edited by kelliewallace; 06-03-2017 at 06:05 AM.
    http://kelliewallacebooks.com
    When our Worlds Collide - Limitless Publishing 2017

the original blond bombshell MaryMumsy's Avatar
    Mark Pryor is published by them. MarkEsq here on AW. I don't know how they are to work with, but as a purchaser of Mark's books I can say that the production values are outstanding. I think there might be another thread specific to SSB in here somewhere.

MM
    When I'm good, I'm very good; but when I'm bad, I'm better.

That is Mae West, not me.

practical experience, FTW Adelle's Avatar
    Anyone know the response times for Pyr? My agent sent my WWI fantasy novel to them in January, but we haven't heard since. I know publishers can take a while (and I got a reject from a different publisher yesterday [submitted at the same time as Pyr]) but I'm still wondering if they'll ever get back.

Debut Novel - Vice City - Underworld Crime Thriller

Or chat with me on twitter, goodreads, or my personal website! :3