• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Drew Montgomery Literary Management / The Montgomery Literary Agency

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
Farcical entertainment at its best!

Well, from the sidelines, at least. My sympathies to those who got caught up in the scam.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Who says there's no such thing as bad publicity?

I don't think it was a scam. I think it was Literary Agent, the Role-Playing Game. Of course, from the writer's perspective, there's not much difference. At least she wasn't in business for long.

- Victoria

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Who says there's no such thing as bad publicity?

I don't think it was a scam.

Well, except for the sockpuppeteering and the steering "clients" from one fake "agent" to another--those were scammy no matter how good DrewJuliaSara's intentions might be.

Your blog on this was a beautiful thing.

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow....what a great thread...I seriously laughed out loud several times. You guys are a witty bunch! Now I'm wondering if this "agent" is in some new incarnation, since several years have passed....

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
This has been one of the most entertaining things I've read on AW in quite a while; four pages of solid-gold hilarity.

What makes it harmless fun is the agent (?) in question seems to be the literary equivalent of the old bag lady who haunts a bus stop near where I work, and claims she's actually Queen Elizabeth's long-lost younger sister.

Where this will stop getting silly, of course, is if Montgomery/Levin/Dowary actually snags some poor clueless scribe's work.

Then it's no longer funny at all.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Carl Johnson who wrote a sci fi thriller about ailens taking over the planet and killing all humans. It's called Alien Invasion. Drew sold it to HarperCollins.

I hope this helps.
Julia Levin

Necro-thread! (I looked over here because of references in Jane Dowary Agency thread.)

The quote above was from 2009. As we sit here in 2014, I thought I'd check on the publication of the referenced book.

HarperCollins did publish a book called Alien Invasion!

Alas, it was written by a gent named Michael Morpurgo, it's an illustrated children's book, and it came out a year before the quoted post was made, but by golly! A book by that name, from that publisher, exists!

Alas, I can find no record of any book by Carl Johnson being published by HarperCollins.

Perhaps it was retitled and he used a pseudonym?

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Alas, it was written by a gent named Michael Morpurgo, it's an illustrated children's book, and it came out a year before the quoted post was made, but by golly! A book by that name, from that publisher, exists!

Alas, I can find no record of any book by Carl Johnson being published by HarperCollins.

I know Michael. I don't know Carl.

EDIT: Former UK Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo, Author of War Horse.

Last edited: