• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Drew Montgomery Literary Management / The Montgomery Literary Agency

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I'm not sure that I'd call it trollery. More like sock-puppetry.

What is this, National I Just Woke Up This Morning And Decided To Be An Agent Week?

Remember, guys, there is no such thing as a stealth agent. Any real agent, you can't turn around without finding folks talking about them.

jewelssarah

Registered
Reaction score
Dear Julia Levin,

Did you not read my post (above)? Do you not realize that we already know that before Drew Montgomery began calling herself Drew Montgomery, she was, well, you?

(On the other hand, why let a perfectly good alias go to waste? Recycling is good.)

Here's something you may not realize: I can see your IP address. And guess what? It's the same as Drew Montgomery's!

We have had some interesting trollery around here, but this really takes the cake.

- Victoria

Dear Victoria,

I have no idea what is going on here. I have never been, nor have I ever claimed to be a literary agent. I AM NOT A LITERARY AGENT AND WOULD NEVER IN MY LIFE SAY THAT I AM A LITERARY AGENT. I AM A WRITER. I WRITE BOOKS AND THAT'S ALL I DO AND DREW MONTGOMERY IS MY LITERARY AGENT. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY OUR IP ADDRESSES MATCH OR WHY PEOPLE SEEM TO THINK DREW IS ME OR THAT DREW IS THIS OTHER JULIA. IT'S A MYSTERY TO ME. ALL I KNOW IS THAT DREW IS AN HONEST, HARD WORKING, DEDICATED, AND PROFESSIONAL AGENT WHO IS TRYING TO DO HER JOB DESPITE ALL THIS IDIOCY ABOUT HER NOT BEING WHO SHE SAYS SHE IS. BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER. DREW MONTGOMERY IS A GOOD AGENT AND I AM HAPPY TO BE HER CLIENT. PEOPLE SHOULD CARE MORE ABOUT FINDING THE REAL SCAMMERS AND LEAVE GOOD AGENTS LIKE DREW TO THEIR JOB. JULIA LEVIN

jewelssarah

Registered
Reaction score
But who are her clients? Doesn't it seem odd that every agent under the sun who is selling books to publishers lists their clients but her?

Hi M.R.J,

Drew does list her clients. They are on her facebook, myspace, and linkedin pages. A lot of them are new and unpublished authors I guess.

Julia Levin

romi41

Where have you been all my life?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Dear Victoria,

I have no idea what is going on here. I have never been, nor have I ever claimed to be a literary agent. I AM NOT A LITERARY AGENT AND WOULD NEVER IN MY LIFE SAY THAT I AM A LITERARY AGENT. I AM A WRITER. I WRITE BOOKS AND THAT'S ALL I DO AND DREW MONTGOMERY IS MY LITERARY AGENT. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY OUR IP ADDRESSES MATCH OR WHY PEOPLE SEEM TO THINK DREW IS ME OR THAT DREW IS THIS OTHER JULIA. IT'S A MYSTERY TO ME. ALL I KNOW IS THAT DREW IS AN HONEST, HARD WORKING, DEDICATED, AND PROFESSIONAL AGENT WHO IS TRYING TO DO HER JOB DESPITE ALL THIS IDIOCY ABOUT HER NOT BEING WHO SHE SAYS SHE IS. BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER. DREW MONTGOMERY IS A GOOD AGENT AND I AM HAPPY TO BE HER CLIENT. PEOPLE SHOULD CARE MORE ABOUT FINDING THE REAL SCAMMERS AND LEAVE GOOD AGENTS LIKE DREW TO THEIR JOB. JULIA LEVIN

Oh dear, I hope none of the writers here fall for this. I mean really, it's just a CRAZY coincidence that your IP address is the same??? Like the Internet is such a weird and mysterious and ambiguous place that the same IP address could exist for a writer and her literary agent on any given day??? Aww shucks Internet, you are so confusing! :Huh:

COME ON...it's hard enough trying to find a legitimate agent, please leave writers alone.

jewelssarah

Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear, I hope none of the writers here fall for this. I mean really, it's just a CRAZY coincidence that your IP address is the same??? Like the Internet is such a weird and mysterious and ambiguous place that the same IP address could exist for a writer and her literary agent on any given day??? Aww shucks Internet, you are so confusing! :Huh:

COME ON...it's hard enough trying to find a legitimate agent, please leave writers alone.

Neither Drew nor I can control what happens on the Internet. Neither of us know why our ip addresses match. But Drew is not a scam agent. She is legit and I am myself, not her. I am just a writer like all the other writers and Drew is an agent like all the other agents.

Julia Levin

Bushdoctor

Registered
Reaction score
Neither Drew nor I can control what happens on the Internet. Neither of us know why our ip addresses match. But Drew is not a scam agent. She is legit and I am myself, not her. I am just a writer like all the other writers and Drew is an agent like all the other agents.

Julia Levin

From the sublime to the ridiculous

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Dear Julia Levin,

Please quit while you are only somewhat far behind.

- Victoria

P.S. Your dedicated literary agent Drew Montgomery, a.k.a. you, doesn't have you on her client list. Goodness me, how can that be?

romi41

Where have you been all my life?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

Julia Levin

Well in that case you've dissolved my concerns. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for your novel, when it's released in the magical bookstore inside my head where I have ten bestsellers (and counting).

(I apologize and understand if a mod deletes my post...I just couldn't help myself :D )

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca

Julia Levin

Wokka wokka!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I HAVE NO IDEA WHY OUR IP ADDRESSES MATCH

Well, one explanation comes instantly to mind....

PEOPLE SHOULD CARE MORE ABOUT FINDING THE REAL SCAMMERS AND LEAVE GOOD AGENTS LIKE DREW TO THEIR JOB. JULIA LEVIN

Some of us care a great deal about finding the real scammers.

Good agents have sold books that can be found.

Drew does list her clients. They are on her facebook, myspace, and linkedin pages.

Here they are:

James C. Cooper

A common name. But nothing jumps out at me from Amazon.com; the top hit is James Fenimore Cooper, who isn't the same guy.

Douglas Wallace

Another common name. We find several Douglas Wallaces at Amazon. From the one published by CreateSpace through the one published by Wesleyan, no telling which (if any) was meant.

Howard Johnson

There's a Howard C. Johnson who co-authored a math book back in 2002, and a Howard Johnson who wrote or co-wrote some computer science books that came out from Prentice Hall. No telling which (if either) is meant, assuming they aren't the same guy.

Mark Laurie

No such person as far as Amazon is concerned, but there is a Laurie J. Marks.

Jessica Marie Dunlap

No such person listed.

Penny Baker

There was an M.E. Penny Baker, but she was writing back in 1975. Probably not the same person.

Jean P. Dustin

No such person listed.

Ashley Burkowitz

No such person listed.

Casey Kensington

No such person listed.

That's what she has? Nine years in business and that? Plus, when we do a standard search for mentions of the "thanks to my agent, [name]" or "is represented by [name]" variety, there's nothing?

Here's the rule: A real agent has sold books that you've heard of.

(Oh, and Julia? Next time you talk to Drew could you ask her to edit her MySpace page? Writers are careful of words; I would expect any agent who wanted to represent me to know the difference between alumnus, alumna, and alumni.)

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am a writer represented by Drew Montgomery and love her as my agent! She is the best and works the hardest and will do whatever it takes to make her clients a sucess! I'd love to talk to anyone about her who has doubts or questions!

Julia Levin
[email protected]
Awwwwwwwwwww!

That's so clueless it's cute.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Just curious, did anyone else get a message on their profile from Julia say something along the lines of 'I see your considering Drew Montgomery....' etc.?

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious, did anyone else get a message on their profile from Julia say something along the lines of 'I see your considering Drew Montgomery....' etc.?

Let me check.

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh gosh, Julia, is Drew Montgomery really that good?

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
Indeed. Smoked gormless spam in a sockpuppet can.

Hey leave the gorn out of it.
big.jpg

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Per her LinkedIn and Facebook profiles, Drew Montgomery charges a nonstandard domestic commission of 17%. None of the clients she mentions in these profiles appear to be published, and I can find no sales information for her other than her claims, on her MySpace page, to have sold novels to Little Brown and Houghton "Miffin" (um, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt?) and screenplays to Universal and Paramount. She doesn't mention titles or authors, however, so these claims--conveniently--can't be verified. (Agents who announce sales generally provide full info--author, title, publisher.)

As of this morning these pages no longer exist and the address she provided on those pages (10500 West Forest Hill Blvd) is a Barnes & Noble bookstore.

~brianm~

Bushdoctor

Registered
Reaction score
As of this morning these pages no longer exist and the address she provided on those pages (10500 West Forest Hill Blvd) is a Barnes & Noble bookstore.

~brianm~

are you telling me that you guys made an agent disappear?
this is the most ridiculous thing i have ever seen

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Of the Glen Cravits Literary Agency, where she says she worked before setting up on her own, I can find no trace other than her own references to it.

So, on its face, not very encouraging. But wait. There's more.

Based on a solid tip I received a little while back from the owner of an agent-tracking website, "Drew Montgomery" is very likely the same person as "Julia Levin" (they share an IP address).

Julia claimed to be a Florida-based agent supposedly in business for several years. Last August, she began soliciting writers, claiming to have inherited the client and submission list of another agent, Sara Levine, who supposedly died suddenly in August. Julia--of whose existence there is no trace whatever prior to her writer contacts--made obviously false sales claims (I saw these, courtesy of a writer who smelled a rat--I say "obviously false" because they included titles that wouldn't have been picked up by the claimed publisher and bad-research errors like attributing an imprint to the wrong publisher). After writers got suspicious, and some warnings were posted on LinkedIn and elsewhere, all the Julia Levin information vanished, and Drew Montgomery appeared.

One writer blogged about her experience with Sara Levine and then Julia Levin (the writer doesn't use names, but she wrote to me about her experience, so I know who she's talking about).

- Victoria

~brianm~
Seems to be her MO