Agent research-Lists and criteria

cameohitch

No, you're Don Francisco's sister!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,
I’m querying agents in the UK for my second YA adventure now. I’ve had an agent until recently in Germany. It’s a competent agency, but the agent couldn’t find a publisher willing to take on an English-language manuscript. So now I’m on my own again.
And here’s the question: Lots of people say that there are a million agents out there. When I do my agent research, I start out with a list that shrinks along the way:

• I select only those that read YA (using writersservices.com, querytracker, litmatch and google)
  • I look at the agency’s website
-I check if they are open to subs and check out the sub process.
-I check their client list and google them.

• I google the particular agent in charge of YA to see if they’ve landed a deal these past years (Is that presumptuous of me? Do any of you do that?)

At the end of the day, I have an irritating squint and a list that’s pretty short in my opinion (about 20 agencies are left by then).

To the writers who say that they sent out a hundred queries before getting representation:
Where did you send these? Is this the point where I’ll have to start researching US agents?
Thank you :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Which lists are you using for UK agents?
litmatch.net has partial coverage of UK agents
This is the most complete list I know of on the net http://writersservices.com/agent/uk09/index.htm

100+ queries would be mostly US agents for which agentquery.com is a great resource

cameohitch

No, you're Don Francisco's sister!
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, waylander, I used that one too. The list also comprises theater and screenplay stuff and if I cross out all the agents who don't do young-adult as well as the one's who don't take on any new clients...There aren't an awful lot left.
I'll definitely use agentquery if I have to widen my search and query agents in the US.
I've worked on my query letter yet again and hope it will make a difference. Both the German agent who represented me and the successful writer who referred me to the agency loved the book. I wonder what's wrong with it then?:(

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It is tough out there. Good books are getting turned down all over the place - including mine