Not open for further replies.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Some men aren't looking for anything logical. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn ~ Michael Caine; The Dark Knight

The person with the quote about the Joker is interesting. The quote sounds like he's just evil for the hell of it, but truth is he was one of the most complex villains I've ever seen. Actually, they did an awesome job with Harvey Dent, too. I wanna go watch Dark Knight again now haha.
I don't think that quote does suggest that he's evil just for the hell of it. It suggests that he doesn't expect to gain anything from his evil acts, but there's still a reason why he does them. We don't know what it is, but it's there. I would assume he's suffered some sort of trauma in his life - see those scars? They came from somewhere, right?

Damn, now I want to watch TDK again...:tongue

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I can't recall if I saw it here or not but one thing that stuck with me regarding villians is (to paraphrase) that a villian may be a psycho nutjob but s/he is the hero of his/her own story. The villian's backstory or reasons for doing things may not be written into the story but the writer should know why the villians are doing the things they're doing.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
You can play with the whole notion of "evil for evil's sake" as well. In BIW, the "villain" is, at first (by all appearances) the very epitome of wholesale evil for evil's sake - textbook, in fact. By the end of the book, though, his motivations have been revealed. And yes, he IS the hero of his own story. More than that, though, he becomes a sympathetic, understandable character and not just an amorphous threat.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
You can play with the whole notion of "evil for evil's sake" as well. In BIW, the "villain" is, at first (by all appearances) the very epitome of wholesale evil for evil's sake - textbook, in fact. By the end of the book, though, his motivations have been revealed. And yes, he IS the hero of his own story. More than that, though, he becomes a sympathetic, understandable character and not just an amorphous threat.

I think it really depends on the villian and the story though. There are several examples in fiction where you don't feel one bit sorry for the villian. Sauron and Sauroman for example in LOTR. Make that all the bad guys for that matter. And it still works.

In Die Hard. You don't feel sorry when Hans falls out of the building and you certainly don't sympathize with him but he makes for an excellent bad guy.

Selah March

Registered
Reaction score
"Evil for the sake of evil" -- with no depth of motivation, no supporting back story, and no shades of gray -- makes, for me, a boring read.

"Good for the sake of good" -- "I'm the protagonist, and therefore the good guy and have no weaknesses except those that arise from being too good (overly trusting, generous to a fault)" -- is an equally boring read for me.

To me, these characters are especially odious in fantasy, where they're also especially prevalent. Give me some meat in your characterization, please. I've had enough milk to last a lifetime.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
The best villains - and I think the Joker is in this category - are the ones who are mirror images of the hero, just spun 180 degrees. That's practically the whole point of Dark Knight: Joker wants to push Batman past that one line he refuses to cross so there's no longer any difference between the two.

One of the best villain lines I ever heard/saw was:

I'm not a psychopath, I know the difference between good and evil, right and wrong... I just don't care.

Last edited:

Strange Days

who cares, anyway?..
Registered
Reaction score
Evil for Evil's sake? Hmmm... Anton Chigurh, for example. More like "evil for no sake at all", though. The man's just evil. Period. No backstory. No motives. No realization that he's evil. (At least in the movie)...

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
The best villains - and I think the Joker is in this category - are the ones who are mirror images of the hero, just spun 180 degrees. That's practically the whole point of Dark Knight: Joker wants to push Batman past that one line he refuses to cross so there's no longer any difference between the two.

I agree. I like these matchups because it makes the hero the best person (or the only person) able to take down the villain ... if he even takes him down at all. If you have a villain, your hero can't just be okay at fighting him, he's got to fit. That doesn't mean your hero has to be a powerhouse; it very well may just come down to the fact he has the best motivation.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to use Dexter as an example, because he's one of the biggest "good" villains out there - so good, he's the "hero" of his own show.

Dexter is a cold blooded killer. He murders people with a smile, and does so brutally, graphically, and with a big ewww factor. It's his life's work and he loves it.

Now, in most cases, a serial killer who has a family by day and dismembers by night would be reviled. The audience would be cheering on the police/CSI/BAU, whatever acronym the show relies on to find the guy and get him off the streets, but Dexter manages to be the "good guy". Why? Because he's killing the bad guys.

In real life, a man like that would still be hunted and put in jail/executed if he was caught, but in his world, he's doing the right thing. He's not murdering people, he's helping people by making society safe and killer-free.

He does evil things, but not for evil's sake.

Not to mention that Dexter is shown to have been so traumatized as a very young child that no one could blame him for having some odd twists in his brain. Also he's not actually a psychopath -- however much he tells himself he doesn't feel human emotion, his actions prove him wrong.

Last edited:

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it really depends on the villian and the story though. There are several examples in fiction where you don't feel one bit sorry for the villian. Sauron and Sauroman for example in LOTR. Make that all the bad guys for that matter. And it still works.

In Die Hard. You don't feel sorry when Hans falls out of the building and you certainly don't sympathize with him but he makes for an excellent bad guy.

You did notice the "can" in my post, right? Second word?

mamaesme

Registered
Reaction score
I, personally, love the sympathetic devil character. It just adds another layer to the character that I hate when their gone.

(So says the girl who is making Heaven the villains in her story.)

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
The person with the quote about the Joker is interesting. The quote sounds like he's just evil for the hell of it, but truth is he was one of the most complex villains I've ever seen. Actually, they did an awesome job with Harvey Dent, too. I wanna go watch Dark Knight again now haha.

Precisely. The Joker has a backstory. He just doesn't want you to know what it is.

I need to watch it again, too. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.