When to make moves

MFDub

Registered
Reaction score
So, to keep things short, I could really use some advice. I'm already on the path to being a screenwriter - went to school, made some connections, got a few awards and have three solid scripts.

So my question is, when should I start making the push towards sending my work out to production companies/managers/agencies/anyone who'll read them? I know that it's important to have a strong amount of scripts ready to go. I guess I'm wondering what that number should be?

Sadly, this is the aspect of the job I need to work on the most.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
If you feel they are solid and ready to sell, send them out while working on your next one. Target agents/managers/prodcos anyone you can.

padnar

Registered
Reaction score
When you are got a script and the connections it is easy to sell. Sorry I cannot understand the problem.
padma

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
I know that it's important to have a strong amount of scripts ready to go.
I think this idea is breaking you up. You shouldn't send your first work, because unless you've done extensive revision, it's usually not that good.

That said, if you've done all you can do to make a script the best it can be, there's no reason to wait for yourself to write X more of them. Just send it out.

WMcQuaig

insert something original or whitty
Registered
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, where did you go? I used to live on the east coast (Georgia). Now I live in Alabama, I know not the right place to be.

To answer the question though, If you have a good stable (3-ish) of scripts to sell, by all means go for it. Don't hold back. If you're not satisfied with the amount you have, you may need to re-think a few things. It's not simply quantity, but quality.

You could have a dozen scripts you think are "Solid" and not be able to sell a single one of them because they lack good storytelling.

Or you could have three very, very good scripts and not be able to sell them because the market could turn. They may not be wanting these type of scripts anymore.

The point is, why wait? I can personally say I waited. I have three great scripts, I know this cause I start reading it to see if I need to work on it; next thing I know, I'm done reading the whole script and I still can't think of any reason to work on it.

I waited and now have a connection that I am working on massaging to my advantage. The pay out, probably my biggest script (story-wise) could be sold. The market is there, no one has successfully achieved it yet, but I feel me (and my associates) have and the script (and various documents) shows that.

Either way, it's just a personal barrier. You have to decide when you finally take it down.

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
There comes a time when you're going to have to test the water in one way or another. If you've had some of your creative peers (having gone to film school) read the scripts and say they're ready to go out, take your best shot.

I would suggest that you not market all three scripts at once but pick the one you feel has the best chances of selling. And start your campaign around that script. Put the majority of the effort into managers with agents and production companies second and third.

Good luck!

MFDub

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, folks. I have one script that I feel really good about, so I'll probably give it one more look, make a list of folks to contact and try my best.

BeeG

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I had a couple of scripts done and so i sent them off to a number of prodcos but looking back on it now i think that they were nowhere near strong enough. I think I was lacking good readers who could have pointed out some of the glaring errors and so my advice to you would be to have them read (by someone who has an idea what they are doing) and then when people have read them and you are happy, then send them off into the world!