High school student told to stop dressing in "disruptive" clothes

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I'm torn about this. I'm all for freedom of expression. But my general sense is the kid is a drama queen (no pun intended) and an attention junkie. And the worst part is that he strikes me as the absolute worst kind of attention junkie: the kind who always says "Who? ME???" and who pretends he isn't at all interested in attention when the truth (my sense of the truth about him) is he'd go into convulsions if he went more than two hours without being the center of attention.

If I were still teaching, this kid would NOT be allowed in my class with the wigs and hats. And IIRC, my school where I taught had a rule that hats and hoods and ALL head coverings were not allowed because kids could disguise their identities that way. So full exposure of the head was mandatory. (Only kids with actual medical problems like kids undergoing cancer treatment would be allowed to wear scarfs or hats or wigs.)

http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/cobb-teen-told-he-156500.html

Cobb teen told he can't dress like a female at school

Cobb County News 10:36 p.m. Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Jonathan Escobar says he chooses to wear clothes that express himself. Skinny jeans, wigs, "vintage" clothing and makeup are the staples of his wardrobe.

"I don't consider myself a cross-dresser," he said. "This is just who I am."

But the 16-year-old says an assistant principal at North Cobb High School told him last week he needed to dress more "manly" for school, or consider being home-schooled. He had only been a student at the school for three days.

"I told myself I can't accept this," said Escobar, who wore a pink wig to school last Wednesday.

Escobar said the assistant principal told him his style of dress had caused a fight between students at the school. Two days later, he withdrew himself from the Kennesaw school.

"You can't wear clothing that causes a disruption," said Jay Dillon, spokesman for Cobb County schools.

And another article from two weeks ago sheds some light on the boy's behavior.

http://www.sovo.com/2009/10-23/news/localnews/10759.cfm

(BTW, I searched under "escobar" and "skinny" and found nothing anywhere in the forums. So if this has already been posted in another thread ... well ... I tried)

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
As much as this kid has a right to express himself (and I soooo want to be there in 20 years, when he looks at old photos of himself and realizes how dopey he really looked) the other students in that school have just as much of a right to get the education they are there to get, the one that this kid's denying them with his "look at me! I'm different!" nonsense.

Maybe school uniforms aren't such a bad thing.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I think the school should enforce the head-covering regulation they've got and, beyond that, leave him be.

As far as I can tell he looks ridiculous, but apparently, that's who he is. The other students need to be able to get what they need out of their day despite the monumental effort it takes to ignore one goofball. The sooner they learn the world doesn't stop for their discomfort or distraction, the better.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with SF here. This is a parental problem, not a school or government problem. Basic socialization is the parent's responsibility, and this guy obviously hasn't been house trained. :D

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Although I'm with you here, Max, in principle, we don't protect legit aka concentrated education this way, thus this kid has every right to be "himself." And as such, I think his defining wardrobe is none of the school's business. . . .

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I think the school should enforce the head-covering regulation they've got and, beyond that, leave him be.

As far as I can tell he looks ridiculous, but apparently, that's who he is. The other students need to be able to get what they need out of their day despite the monumental effort it takes to ignore one goofball. The sooner they learn the world doesn't stop for their discomfort or distraction, the better.

And, yet again. What she said.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole article, but I don't see how the parents are called into question here. He dresses in womens clothes and says that that's who he is. I seriously doubt it's who he aint. Whatever, the parents support him. How are they bad parents? There are worse things this kid could be.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Like Perks said, if they have a headdress regulation (although what would they say to a Muslim student?) then they should enforce that code. But beyond that, telling the kid he should dress more "manly"? That's inappropriate.

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Where I went to high school, we had incredibly strict rules. I can still remember most of them: no piercings on men, only ear-piercings allowed on women, no shorts allowed, no skirts shorter than knee-length, no spaghetti-strap shirts on women, no facial hair allowed, no head coverings of any sort, men's hair couldn't be long enough to touch the shoulders, no tattoos whatsoever, and more. I can't remember the rest.

And it was ridiculous.

I'm on the student's side on this one. The school needs to remove the pine cone.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Meh. He does sound like an attention whore, but so are lots of other teens. And honestly, I don't buy the school's whining that his clothing is "disruptive." You're telling me nobody else at his school wears weird crap? Nobody else tries to get attention? It's basic rebellious teenage behavior.

When I was in high school a decade ago, we had a guy who wore a dog collar with a chain... which his girlfriend would use to lead him around. Another dude started wearing skirts. Both initially caused a stir, but after about a week it just became normal. Skirt dude wore skirts. And no, he wasn't even homosexual as far as I know, he was just kind of a jerk.

Even further back in junior high, our class president became obsessed with Anne Rice and decided to turn herself into a vampire. She painted her face white, dyed her (bright red) hair black, and wore fake fangs. Again, it was initially a little weird... and then just the norm.

Teenagers do this crap precisely because they know it will get a rise out of people, particularly adults. The adults are encouraging him by making this a big deal.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
You know, there's an issue here that hasn't been addressed. Is this boy having gender identify issues? If so, then I'd have a different opinion on what's going on.

However, if he's just being a jackass and trying to draw attention to himself, that's where as the parent I say, "you're not leaving the house dressed like that."

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Like Perks said, if they have a headdress regulation (although what would they say to a Muslim student?)
This is a sticky wicket for many schools. They say it's a safety issue and also used to control gang posturing in some places, but many take it as an attack on Islam.

We were not allowed to wear hats in school, but we had an international student body, so there were some students who wore religious headgear and, as far as I could tell, nobody really cared.

But times, they are a-changin'.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Lots of men who wear womens clothes are straight. I've met a few.

One got a sex change to become a woman so that she could get in a relationship with a lesbian.

She, I would say had gender identity issues, but I'm not one to judge. She was a nice guy.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
We were not allowed to wear hats in school, but we had an international student body, so there were some students who wore religious headgear and, as far as I could tell, nobody really cared.
This mirrors my experience. We had a few Muslims and (I think) a Sikh. But I must stress I graduated a few months before the 11 Sept terrorist attacks.

But times, they are a-changin'.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
You know, there's an issue here that hasn't been addressed. Is this boy having gender identify issues? If so, then I'd have a different opinion on what's going on.

However, if he's just being a jackass and trying to draw attention to himself, that's where as the parent I say, "you're not leaving the house dressed like that."

The second article suggests he's homosexual, if not bisexual, but despite what I just said I don't really see the need to label the kid. Straight men wear women's clothes. Transvestites. (Look, more labels.)

Like Jo said, lots of high school kids dress differently than what adults would call the "norm."

But even when I was younger I hated the idea of school uniforms. Luckily I never had to wear them, but it seemed unfair to me that every representation of school uniform I saw meant the girls had to wear skirts and the boys, pants. Nobody should be forced into gender norms. I can understand the school wanting to downplay "disruptiveness," whatever they mean exactly by this, but I take real issue with the fact the kid was told to dress more manly.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Um... the article said he moved in with his sister, who didn't have a problem with his dress (I'm assuming). His parents, however, did have a problem with it.

Escobar said he moved to Cobb County from Miami to live with his older sister. His Florida school didn't have an issue with the way he dressed, but his parents did.

Maybe they aren't to blame after all?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Like Jo said, lots of high school kids dress differently than what adults would call the "norm."

And that's on the parents. They're kids. Far as I'm concerned they aren't old enough to make decisions on how to dress, and generally make the wrong decisions.

Its like the parents who let their girls go dresses like Madonna during the "Like a Virgin" phase. I have no idea how you let your daughter out of the house looking like a slut.

Call me old fashioned, but the parents dictate fashion choices.