• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Black Matrix Publishing LLC

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Bumping thread.

Just wondering if anyone's submitted a novel-length work to these folks (Seun? Any news?) Just curious. Thanks!

Doesn't look like they're too keen on me even though I had an email back in March to say they wanted to publish one of my books. Since then (and despite my emails to them), I've heard precisely fuck all.

Make of that what you will.

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I li
I also note with disapprobation that Black Matrix is offering $50.00 for full-color book or magazine cover art, and $10.00 for black-and-white interior illustrations. That's pathetically low. As a rule of thumb, art you can get that cheaply is art you don't want.

No distribution plus bad covers plus high cover prices means the audience for Black Matrix publications is going to consist of the authors, the author' friends and relatives, and writers who are trying to sell their own work to Black Matrix.

Don't do it.

Hold on a second. I could only see one book cover, and I didn't think it was too bad. Not the best cover, but it's not that far off from some of the covers I've seen on other books for kids, which is what their book is classified as. Also, some of the covers of their magazines are awesome! so they're obviously dealing with solid artists. (Encounters 1 and 2, for example, are very nice magazine covers, imo).

Second, they say that they're utilizing several points of sale for their books, which I bet is all the same ones that e publishers and POD outfits use. Also, that they started with a magazine that published fantasy, si/fi and horror, I'd say they're in a better position than most POD's to understand what good writing is, and identify it for the market.

That they're offering 50/50 split for author earnings is also a good thing, though I'd want a detailed list of what they're costs are so that they're not pushing the envelope--which is the same advice we'd give to anyone who was going to accept a contract for royalties based on net, rather than cover. Also, that they're asking for a 3 year contract seems appropriate, too.

Finally, they've identified a market, started out with a magazine tested a business model, and are now taking another step and going for books. Slow and steady, that's what I like to see. They're not the first publisher to do this, either (Mags to books). I'd say, if you're thinking of going for a POD/E press, this one should get a spot on your list, or at least be on your radar.

As always, though, I'd want to know what kind of sales they managed to generate for their magazines. Sales, that's what matters here, so authors thinking of submitting should broach that subject sometime before signing the contract.

I really think we need to start comparing apples to apples on BR&BC. Comparing any POD outfit to any off-set publisher is not appropriate. I think most everyone knows that they should start at the top of the list and work their way down, when subbing to publishers. I also think most people know that the top of the list, without an agent, is still of the ACE/ROC/TOR/DAW etc variety. However, offering a reminder when asked about a publisher would be appropriate.

But if someone is considering POD or E presses, I think it's safe to say that they've burned out of the more traditional commercial publishers, wouldn't you? As such, let's compare Epresses/POD's with Epresses/POD's, which, as far as I can tell, this one seems a safer bet than most.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Actually I would say that many people who come here actually do not appreciate, or refuse to accept the difference between mass market paperback publishers and e/POD publishers, so comparisons need to be made to other apples and to golden apples as well.

I would also note that I went e/POD without querying a single large commercial publisher. It is a business model suitable for certain types or material that suits certain types of author, not just a back-up option for authors who can't do better.

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
with all due respect, the comparison offered by Hapisofi was "Don't do it." She had her reasons, but those reasons would apply to virtually all pod/e presses out there. I don't see anything inherently wrong with this publisher and actually see some very positive things. Also, with the exception of novels with erotic overtones, I think it's safe to say that far more often than not, an author would be better served by a major trade or MM commercial publisher, wouldn't you? I've never heard people on this board say to someone who just got an offer from DAW, "Hold on there, are you sure you don't want to go with a POD/E publisher?"

Commercial pubs are (typically) better suited to help the author establish themselves in the industry. I'm not saying that starting small isn't a valid option, I know it is. I also know that there are several authors who make a very good, even lucrative, living publishing with small presses (even the pod/epress variety). But those authors are in the minority. So for a VAST majority of the authors out there, e/pod publishers are not, and should not, be a first choice. They are, instead, a back up. . . albeit an entirely valid and respectable one.

Last edited:

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I think any publisher, great or small, should only ever be on one's list or radar if they meet the following:
-have reasonable distribution for a press of their size, or at the least are very very clear about what their distribution is
-sales figures compare with other successful presses of their size-have experienced staff-have reasonable compensation to the author compared with other successful presses of their size
-have a fair contract

However HapiSoft is right; those pays for art are dismal. I know a few artists who wouldn't even consider those rates, and rightly so. I disagree that 'art you can get that cheaply is art you don't want, and this is why. Just as there are many authors out there desperate to get published they'll accept almost anything, there are just as many artists equally as desperate to get out there they'll accept pittance pay (like that) or even no pay at all. All in the hopes that their name will get out there. The problem tends to be that a person or company that can't pay a fair amount to an artist generally doesn't have the cash to move the product to a wide audience - or they're trying to save money by taking advantage of artists who don't know better. Either way, that's not a business I would feel comfortable dealing with. YMMV.

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
I think any publisher, great or small, should only ever be on one's list or radar if they meet the following:
-have reasonable distribution for a press of their size, or at the least are very very clear about what their distribution is
-sales figures compare with other successful presses of their size-have experienced staff-have reasonable compensation to the author compared with other successful presses of their size
-have a fair contract

I agree.

I was trying to point out that a lack of distribution to Bricks and Mortar stores does not make a press a bad choice. zero sales, on the other hand, does. But since pod and e publishers have mostly the same online points of sale, to disparage this press for no distribution on shelves, is to disparage all POD and e publishers.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
I was trying to point out that a lack of distribution to Bricks and Mortar stores does not make a press a bad choice. zero sales, on the other hand, does. But since pod and e publishers have mostly the same online points of sale, to disparage this press for no distribution on shelves, is to disparage all POD and e publishers.
The problem here is if a publisher has zero distribution, be it online or in the stores, then how does that publisher create demand? Distribution, promotion, marketing, and sales go hand in hand. Does Black Matrix meet that criteria? If so, then I agree there's no reason to look any further.

However, we have all seen many, many PODs and e-publishers go out of business because they had no idea how hard it is to sell books/e-books, and they run out of money way before they collect enough practical experience to make it in this tough biz.

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
The problem here is if a publisher has zero distribution, be it online or in the stores, then how does that publisher create demand? Distribution, promotion, marketing, and sales go hand in hand. Does Black Matrix meet that criteria? If so, then I agree there's no reason to look any further.

However, we have all seen many, many PODs and e-publishers go out of business because they had no idea how hard it is to sell books/e-books, and they run out of money way before they collect enough practical experience to make it in this tough biz.

I agree. Which is why I thought this press, in particular, was noteworthy. Their experience with magazines and with the genre they're seeking demonstrates a controlled step-by-step approach that seems to be the recipe for success. I'd like to see them seek out talented writers with an established following, and contract them for a title or two, as well. I think building a list with people who win awards and have a following is another way to build a pubs credibility and to demonstrate a commitment to success. Perhaps they're trying to entice some established writers their way with the 50/50 split on net. That seems better than industry standard.

I've mentioned it in other threads, but as online sales increase, publishers with a solid grasp of internet-based marketing, promotion, and internet based distribution (as well as business skills), can do well by their authors. An increase in online sales, does not necessarily translate to a decrease in bricks and mortar sales, though, so publishers with both points of sale (online and in store) are, imo, more desirable.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I've mentioned it in other threads, but as online sales increase, publishers with a solid grasp of internet-based marketing, promotion, and internet based distribution (as well as business skills), can do well by their authors.

Though I'm all for the fact a small press could make a decent turnover using the internet alone, that means marketing successfully on the internet. I commented before that their online following was very small. A year later, it's still small: 39 blog followers, 78 Twitter followers and 85 Facebook likes. It's clear they don't have a solid grasp of internet marketing and promotion. If they did, they'd know how to use social networking to promote their products.

It looks like Black Matrix is hoping if they keep putting stuff out, it'll promote itself just by existing. In a crowded marketplace, you simply can't rely on that.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Of the original four mags, only Encounters survives, and went free back in '12.

ETA: Blog is gone. Only three books published, in '11.

ETA2: Site & TW gone. Last pub '15.

Last edited: