Orlando Legions Place Shooting

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I used to work either in that building or the one in which the shooting occurred. I can't tell from the footage yet which one it was.

Hate to say it, but mass shootings are not so rare that I'm sure this is a copycat. Tragic, but perhaps not related in any way.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Caution, please. So far we don't know "copycat", other than a mass shooting. "Copycat" would carry some additional issues with it, (religious, military, etc.)

Anybody found anything that says what business/orgs were in this building yet?

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if my company is still there, or if it's the exact building (they keep showing it, but I can't tell if it's just adjacent), but it was an insurance company. And, though this means nothing, while I worked there, we were threatened with violence more than once.

Thanks, Williebee. The reddish building on the left is my old building. The address was 1000 Legions Place.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Caution, please. So far we don't know "copycat", other than a mass shooting. "Copycat" would carry some additional issues with it, (religious, military, etc.)

Anybody found anything that says what business/orgs were in this building yet?

I believe there is a significant historical precedent for 'copycat' crimes after widely publicized mass-shootings. Look at what happened after Columbine--a rash of incidents at schools, including shootings and instances where kids were prevented from carrying out similiar plans. Copycat for me has very little to do with religious or military issues and everything to do with emboldening other discontents from carrying out the plans that heretofore they were too afraid to follow through on.

http://www.xomba.com/2_boys_arrested_plotting_columbine_copy_cat_shooting

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08/21/north.carolina.castillo.trial/index.html

Just a couple of the first few hits off of roughly 261,000 for "columbine copycat shooting"...if that helps.

Last edited:

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Fox (newsdesk) is reporting bodies found on the 8th and 10th floor, and eight people taken to the hospital. I couldn't tell from the reporting if bodies = patients.

An Orlando reporter on Fox just made what I thought was an excellent statement, to the effect of:

It's important that, as we know, as this goes along some of what we are reporting may turn out not to be true. It's like listening to a police scanner. You have to be careful...

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Copycat for me has very little to do with religious or military issues and everything to do with emboldening other discontents from carrying out the plans that heretofore they were too afraid to follow through on.

Certainly no argument from me there, ma'am.

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
In Orlando, Local police spokesperson says they are looking for a lone shooter in a silver Nissan SUV.

MOD ALERT: Hold on folks, I'm gonna shift all the Orlando stuff to a new thread.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Willie.

They've identified the shooter, even to showing his photo, but apparently, he is still at large. A police spokesperson said he is a former employee of the business.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
In this instance, the quick and comprehensive identification of the suspect is extremely helpful, IMO. Unfortunately, it looks like he's out and on the loose and having a psycho with a gun fleeing from a massacre endangers a hell of a lot of people. But wow--shootings on three different floors and not even adjacent floors? That looks a lot like specific targeting to me. I could be wrong, but wow.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Willie.

They've identified the shooter, even to showing his photo, but apparently, he is still at large. A police spokesperson said he is a former employee of the business.

Ah, a classic Postal shooter.

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
That looks a lot like specific targeting to me. I could be wrong, but wow.

Does to me, too. Although, depending on the building layout, it could be people that were in his path either to or from his main target.

Ah, a classic Postal shooter.

Was there something that put this guy working for the post office? If not, that's not fair, or funny.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
The spokesperson for the shooter's ex-employer (Reynolds, Smith and Hill, an architectural and engineering firm) says the man was fired 2 years ago. (On CNN)

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Was there something that put this guy working for the post office? If not, that's not fair, or funny.

You think I was trying to be funny? Hm. Anyways, I was trying to imply that the worker went berserk. Not that this had anything to do with the post office.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know what you don't hear about as often? Mass stabbings. And even less often, a random choking spree. I'm not really anti-gun, but I do acknowledge that they make pulling these sorts of things off much, much easier. As is their purpose...

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
You know what you don't hear about as often? Mass stabbings. And even less often, a random choking spree. I'm not really anti-gun, but I do acknowledge that they make pulling these sorts of things off much, much easier. As is their purpose...
In anticipation of the reinsitution of the Fairness Doctrine, I'd also like to point out that once again a victim disarmament zone was selected as the killing ground.

Now that we've got all the gun arguments out of the way, let's go back to figuring out WHO to blame. :)

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
When they perp-walked him, he answered questions of "why did you do this" with, "They left me to rot."

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now that we've got all the gun arguments out of the way, let's go back to figuring out WHO to blame. :)

Uh... the guy who shot everybody?

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
The former mother-in-law of the suspect is saying on FOX right now (shut up--I like Shepherd Smith) that he was in a mental health facility or in some sort of treatment within the last six months.