The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: New Pulp Press

practical experience, FTW jeseymour's Avatar

New Pulp Press

http://www.newpulppress.com/

Anybody ever dealt with this press? I tried a search of this forum and got nothing.

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    No distribution or owner info on the site, but Whois names Christoph Wiese. Google results in an apparently abandoned twitter account, old blog, and some kind of conference about Flash, none of which mention any kind of editorial or publishing experience. They also don't mention him as an author so at least he's not a vanity press.

Covers are worse than most romance ebook covers imo.
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

Eat This.

Banned
    Their About Us page says:
    New Pulp Press was founded in 2008 as an alternative to the often generic world of conglomerate corporate publishing.[bolding mine] Dedicated to giving voice to some of today’s most talented and neglected writers, New Pulp Press focuses...
    This is POD-speak for "we can't compete," so we're going to offer up the only thing we have going for us - your fervent desire to be published. We can't get your books on shelves because we have no distribution. Few will know your book exists because we have no marketing or promotion. But, hey,we're giving you the "chance you deserve." Same sad story, umpteenth verse.

practical experience, FTW MickRooney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jennontheisland View Post
    No distribution or owner info on the site, but Whois names Christoph Wiese...They also don't mention him as an author so at least he's not a vanity press.
    I'm not quite sure how the lack of mention of Chris Wiese being an author on the site ensures his indie press is not a vanity outfit!

Having said that, this looks like a genuine underground small urban indie press, styled on publishers like Soho, but as has been said, without any real paper distribution channels outside of Barnes & Noble and amazon.
    Last edited by MickRooney; 11-06-2009 at 04:38 AM.

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MickRooney View Post
    I'm not quite sure how the lack of mention of Chris Wiese being an author on the site ensures his indie press is not a vanity outfit!
    True. All of the books up there could be his under pen names.
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

Eat This.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    I'm not sure I agree, Lynn. It looks like it specializes in niche fiction for an identified market. As such, it could be a real market--if that's the niche you're writing for.

We'll see how it's going a year from now.

Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the University, and the first Borders
    I liked the covers. Maybe not everyone's taste, but I thought they were effectively impressionistic. Also, according to their site they've already been around a year, so presumably they're doing all right. Still would be nice to know who distributes them though.

They're definitely a matter of taste, but I'm with Christine. I quite like the covers. The pitches seem competently crafted as well.

And I'm curious about the forthcoming Rabid Child by the title alone.
    Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

Banned
    Hope you're right, Jim. I suppose I get a bit jaded because I see so many PODs using the same verbiage. Their lack of distribution makes it tough on their authors. But as you say, we'll see.

The editor/publisher is Jon Bassoff.

Here's a link to an interview. http://spaceythompson.blogspot.com/2...-bastards.html

It is POD, not vanity.

Thanks!

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by priceless1 View Post
    Hope you're right, Jim. I suppose I get a bit jaded because I see so many PODs using the same verbiage. Their lack of distribution makes it tough on their authors. But as you say, we'll see.

The places where non-standard distribution isn't as much of a drawback are:

1) Specialized non-fiction
    2) Niche fiction
    3) Poetry
    4) Drama

They all have ways to reach readers, and readers who are reachable, outside of normal bookstore channels.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeseymour View Post
    The editor/publisher is Jon Bassoff.

Here's a link to an interview. http://spaceythompson.blogspot.com/2...-bastards.html

It is POD, not vanity.

Thanks!
    Interesting article, thanks so much for putting up the link.

They've asked for my manuscript. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

Just rejected. Quote - "I think you are a very compelling writer and I enjoyed the book. Unfortunately I'm going to have to pass on publishing it at this time." Small press, few titles, blah, blah, blah. Oh well. At least I don't have to decide if I really want to be published by pod people.

Back to the drawing board.
    http://jeseymour.com
    Out now from Barking Rain Press:
    Lead Poisoning (2nd ed.) - Things go wrong when a fugitive mob troubleshooter retires to New Hampshire to live with his family.
    Stress Fractures - Kevin Markinson, injured escaping from prison, taken hostage with a teenage boy and surrounded by law enforcement, discovers that everybody has a breaking point.
    Frostbite - a bumbling gang of Rhode Island mobsters get more than they bargained for when they kidnap an aging assassin.

smart enough to know better

New Pulp Press

I keep seeing this publisher on PM, but can't seem to find a website for them. Does anyone know anything about them?

The Last of the Smoking Bartenders by C.J. Howell, their most recent, has been getting great press and reviews.
    I was in their Crime Factory anthology, as were Scott Wolven and Frank Bill and many other talented folks.
    If you're writing gritty noir -- hard-boiled, etc -- they'd make a great home. Always good to read a few titles from a press before deciding whether they're right for you, of course.

figuring it all out
    Any updates on this publisher?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    As of Jan '15, is sister company to Absolute Amazing eBooks (http://www.absolutelyamazingebooks.com/index.html). (New parent company: Whiz Bang, LLC.)
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: