If you could only write for one site

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXBeerGeek

Registered
Reaction score
So the thread on diversifying your web content writing got me thinking about my situation.

I'm working only three days a week at my day job until the end of the year (this is our slow season) and would like to do some content producing for fun and extra $$.

I've been researching all the different options via threads here, and my head is reeling from all the possibilities. I'm having trouble deciding which venue to approach first.

So, if you only had the option of writing for one content site, which one would you keep producing for, and why?

Words Are My Life

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say Demand. I know they don't always have the most trendy topics, but at this time it's the site where I make the most $$.

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
Definitely Demand. There's lots of work, they pay fairly well, they pay twice a week, and they will be offering some type of health insurance.

ETA: There might be better sites for rev share, but personally I like the guaranteed upfront payments at Demand. I've yet to do any of their rev share assignments and don't really plan to.

Last edited:

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Honestly, there's no way I'd write for Demand as a sole content provider or for anything long term. From what I understand, their rev share expires after a time, which puts a big dent into building up a steady income even in months where you don't put in as much work.

If I had to choose one, I'd stick with About.

Words Are My Life

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely Demand. There's lots of work, they pay fairly well, they pay twice a week, and they will be offering some type of health insurance.

ETA: There might be better sites for rev share, but personally I like the guaranteed upfront payments at Demand. I've yet to do any of their rev share assignments and don't really plan to.

I agree, I like upfront payment.

FreelanceKen

Registered
Reaction score
MMMMMM...only one site to write for, who would it be?? :Shrug:MMMMMMMMM So basically if I had to choose one site to write for who would I choose????MMMMM

:roll:lol...It would be Demand Studios hands down.....:partyguy:

havefaith22

Registered
Reaction score
I just applied for a writer position with Demand Studios. I'm just looking for some extra income to help pay the bills (already have a full-time job). I think this is the absolute perfect solution. I only wish I had known about it sooner. I can't wait for my first assignment!

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
About might be good if you can get in the door. But Demand Studios is easier to get into and is pretty straight forward with their requirements, and they pay a flat free up with just a few days wait. The writing may get boring, but its usually pretty steady. They had one scarey season last winter where all the titles dried up while they were switching to a new system, but it's been good since then.

The other plus is that they don't make you sign a contract saying you will commit to X amount of work. You take what you want, when you want. You can drop off the face of the Earth for months, then stroll right back in.

I'm even liking the new photo thingambobber -- saves me time having to find the perfect photo on my own. And if the photos are a little odd, well that's not MY fault!

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
Demand.

I like the fact they're offering health insurance to their writers. Sure, you need to have an average article amount, but that isn't any worse than going to a job outside of the home and working 8-12 hours a day.

OT- Dreamer, you scare me. My name, same state, only you're 2 kids and 3 girls off from being me. ;-) If your birthday is 11/1 - I might fall out of my chair.

*edit to add- I don't just write for content sites. Most others here do not, either. We use them for extra income and to fill in our gaps! (Because we all know what happened when a troll cruised by and saw one of our discussions! )

Last edited:

havefaith22

Registered
Reaction score
Demand.

I like the fact they're offering health insurance to their writers. Sure, you need to have an average article amount, but that isn't any worse than going to a job outside of the home and working 8-12 hours a day.

OT- Dreamer, you scare me. My name, same state, only you're 2 kids and 3 girls off from being me. ;-) If your birthday is 11/1 - I might fall out of my chair.

*edit to add- I don't just write for content sites. Most others here do not, either. We use them for extra income and to fill in our gaps! (Because we all know what happened when a troll cruised by and saw one of our discussions! )

Haha southernfried... my birthday's not on the 1st but the 26th of Nov.! :D Is that close enough for ya? Are we the same age? 1976? And do you mean Julie Loden is your name? Because that's my birth name, not my married name.

Last edited:

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
Haha southernfried... my birthday's not on the 1st but the 26th of Nov.! :D Is that close enough for ya? Are we the same age? 1976? And do you mean Julie Loden is your name? Because that's my birth name, not my married name.

1975 model here. But, uh, Loden is close enough for me- Linder. If your married name is close to Fletcher, that's just creepy.

TXBeerGeek

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! What a response.

Thanks so much for all the feedback folks!

I guess I'm definitely going to put in an application with Demand. I certainly didn't expect this thread to be so in favor of one site.

Any tips as to what they look for in a writing sample, or what type of sample worked for you?

havefaith22

Registered
Reaction score
Ha, no Fletcher isn't even close. I've got one of those nice Polish last names!

TXBeerGeek: I was given the advice to pre-post a couple of how-to articles on ehow then include links to them in your application. This shows DS you can write in the style they need you to. One quick tip I learned (a bit too late) was that each "step" should start with a verb. Mine started with "If." Oh well.

htrent

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.holleytrent.com
Thanks so much for all the feedback folks!

I guess I'm definitely going to put in an application with Demand. I certainly didn't expect this thread to be so in favor of one site.

Any tips as to what they look for in a writing sample, or what type of sample worked for you?

Just make sure whatever you use as a sample isn't written in first person. Articles that describe how to do something are good. I think I submitted a health-related article.

FreelanceKen

Registered
Reaction score
Just make sure whatever you use as a sample isn't written in first person. Articles that describe how to do something are good. I think I submitted a health-related article.

If you have any articles on eHow, use them for your samples as well.

lisake

Sometimes I feel like a Dwarf
Registered
Reaction score
I'm new at this and writing mostly for Demand. I'm hoping to get into a routine of three articles a day for Demand and one or two somewhere else. That way I'll have sure $$$ coming in every day while also working for something more long-term at Suite101, Examiner or somewhere like that. It also allows me to write something I want to write each day, as composing How To's about lead paint and allergies gets old quickly. I'd love to get on at About but have yet to find my topic, so I haven't applied.

My youngest starts kindergarten next year, at which point I'll try to get back into print publications. But for now, Demand is helping pay some bills around here, and it works great with my schedule and limited writing time.

notwriting4free

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to start utilizing Demand more. I've been with them for over a year but I don't write much because some of the topics are just waaay out there for me. On the off chance I do find stuff that I think I can write, I snatch it up though!

I'm going to start submitting to them on a more regular basis since they pay pretty quick and I can always use extra cash!

April

Registered
Reaction score
I'm very suprised that no one here seems to be on Constant-Content. I joined the end of last month and have had an incredible experience there. I like the fact that you can set your own prices and take best offer, if you choose. Every article I've written has been approved. I've had two sales already. It seems with a steady output of articles, one could make a living at this. Has anyone else here had any experience with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.