AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Friedrich Agency (Molly Friedrich)

The Friedrich Agency (Molly Friedrich)

Okay, I've never started a thread before...I did search the Index & didn't find a thread for this agency-?

Just wondering if anyone has queried Molly Friedrich lately. AQ says she accepts queries: http://agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=202 but QT says she doesn't. No PM listing & the company website is under construction. She left Aaron Priest in '06 after many years. She seems savvy, kind, & fair, and surprisingly open to new voices.

Any personal insights much appreciated.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    http://www.friedrichagency.com/ is indeed an Under Construction holding page, but one can peek through the fence to see what they're building: http://friedrichagency.com/index.htm
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    ...one can peek through the fence to see what they're building: http://friedrichagency.com/index.htm
    What a great trick, thanks! Looks very promising. I've sent my snail query & will report back with whatever news is in the cards for me..

practical experience, FTW
    I e-queried Molly a couple weeks ago. No response yet.

figuring it all out budgie_brain's Avatar
    Hi Dear Author,

I snail queried Molly in January, and she sent a reply in February. It was a rejection, but a nice and personalized one. She sounds like a great agent to work with.

Big Meanie Head "A" Is For "Agent"'s Avatar
    And the site is up.

Molly Friedrich

I sent Molly Friedrich an e-query October 30 that contained synopses for the first three novels in a mystery series. She rejected it today, but said the idea sounded "gripping and mysterious."

She sent the email to me and to an L Carson. Could that be somebody at her agency-- maybe somebody who argued for my project?

Hi Greg,

There's already a thread for the Friedrich Agency here. I'm sure this'll be ported there, but in the meantime, this is from the agency's submission guidelines: "The Friedrich Agency has two principal agents: Molly Friedrich and Paul Cirone and one associate agent, Lucy Carson."

GB
    Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

Thanks.

Does anybody know why P + E lists no $ (or anything else) beside its listing of this agency? I researched it and found that it has a fairly large stable of active writers, as well as a few very well known ones (including the mystery writer Sue Grafton and the late Frank McCourt). This would seem to indicate that they make frequent sales. Or am I reading this wrong? The reason I ask is that they are presently reading my full, and if I am fortunate enough to have them offer me rep., I want to make sure that I am signing with an active, successful agency. Any thoughts or other advice? Thanks much.
    bene vale vobis

web site- http://www.Nardopublishing.com
    Wikipedia article- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Nardo

Latest published books:

The Epics of Greek Mythology
    The Gods and Goddesses of Greek Mythology
    The Scientific Revolution
    Classical Civilization: Greece
    Classical Civilization: Rome

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    Does anybody know why P + E lists no $ (or anything else) beside its listing of this agency? I researched it and found that it has a fairly large stable of active writers, as well as a few very well known ones (including the mystery writer Sue Grafton and the late Frank McCourt). This would seem to indicate that they make frequent sales. Or am I reading this wrong? The reason I ask is that they are presently reading my full, and if I am fortunate enough to have them offer me rep., I want to make sure that I am signing with an active, successful agency. Any thoughts or other advice? Thanks much.
    Molly Friedrich is a big time agent, with an amazing reputation. I haven't subbed to them because I don't think they rep my genre, but I would in a second if they did. Google 'Molly Friedrich' and plenty of info should come up. The only reason P&E might not be updated is because the Friedrich Agency is relatively new, she used to be a senior agent with the Aaron M. Priest Agency.

Thanks Curlbe!! That was both prompt and helpful. Best, Leonidas
    bene vale vobis

web site- http://www.Nardopublishing.com
    Wikipedia article- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Nardo

Latest published books:

The Epics of Greek Mythology
    The Gods and Goddesses of Greek Mythology
    The Scientific Revolution
    Classical Civilization: Greece
    Classical Civilization: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
    Thanks Curlbe!! That was both prompt and helpful. Best, Leonidas
    No problem, good luck with the full request!

I equeried Lucy Carson today and got a full request a few hours later. She asked about exclusivity, but I have a partial out elsewhere (though it's been out over a month already) and was unfortunately unable to offer that to her. Very sweet, though, emailed back minutes after I sent my full to say she'd gotten it and would get to it soon. Crossing my fingers!

Queried Molly Friedrich via snail mail back in May 2010 after reading an interview with her. received a nicely worded rejection after two weeks. Even though she has brought on a new agent it seems that she is overextended nd doesn't have the time to nurture new writers.

Is it okay to re-query?

I queried Molly Friedrich at the beginning of December and have heard nothing back. What is the etiquette of re-querying? I think my book is perfect for her and I fear my query got lost in the holiday dead zone. I am a real newbie at this - should I mention that I am querying again or just re-send my original letter?

thanks !!

practical experience, FTW augusto's Avatar
    Tec, I queried her back in August with no response. Sent a follow-up (mentioning the first try) in mid-December. Nothing yet. She doesn't state that she's a non-responder, so I'd keep trying.
    Five novels in Americana series available here.

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    Tec, I queried her back in August with no response. Sent a follow-up (mentioning the first try) in mid-December. Nothing yet. She doesn't state that she's a non-responder, so I'd keep trying.
    Thank you! I'll give it another go.

practical experience, FTW MysteryScribe's Avatar
    I sent an EQ to Lucy Carson this afternoon and received a Full Request within ten minutes! Fingers are definitely crossed!!!

Awesome, MysteryScribe! I sent an EQ on 2/15, but no response yet...I have a sinking suspicion that a few of my queries are getting lost in cyberspace. She may just hate it enough to not reply (sad!), but people who queried a few weeks after me are getting Rs. Or maybe she's going backwards in her inbox?

Ahhh, the joy of waiting on tenterhooks.

Congrats again!

practical experience, FTW MysteryScribe's Avatar
    Thanks so much Sleigh! I think I may lucked out and caught her when she was looking through her email. I swear a few of my queries are being eaten by hungry spam filters lately as well.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get a positive response shortly too!

Three days after querying, I got this response:

Dear Author,

Well, it's finally happened: after over thirty years of answering every query letter that has ever come my way, I've been forced to finally acknowledge that a new era is upon us all. Before the arrival of e-mail submissions, I used to receive perhaps one hundred queries a week. That was a lot of queries but it wasn't frankly unmanageable. The Friedrich Agency now receives more than twice that on a daily basis and it's becoming impossible to attend to much of anything else! I'm so sorry for the impersonal response, I hate to do this. Writing a good book or a good proposal is among the hardest things in the world to do; I promise, we're not unsympathetic! You have our word that we are reading every single query letter that comes our way, but from now on, we're only responding personally if we're sufficiently curious and would like to read further. Please don't take offense at this Draconian measure-- there is undoubtedly a wonderful agent out there for whom your book might just be the perfect match. Toward that end, we wish you all the best!

Take care,

Molly
    Takes a while to get around to the rejection part. At least I think that's what it is, ha ha.

That has got to be the cutest form rejection I've ever seen in my life.
    Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

practical experience, FTW Purple Rose's Avatar
    As form rejections go, I agree that's probably the best I've seen. For myself, I prefer my rejections short, simple and polite but the one from Molly would still soften the blow.

Hope to get better news from Lucy Carson, whom i queried yesterday.

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    One day turnaround and I got the same email. Gotta give her props for quickness, though.
    Cameron Bane

PITFALL, WildBlue Press

www.cameronbanebooks.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast