What do you think of modern versions of classics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Shakespeare is often switched to a different time period in performance and many classics have undergone a modernisation.

Does it dumb down classics or give a relevant insight into modern society? Is it good that the classics are more accessible or an insult to the originals?

What do you think?

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
You're lumping in a lot of things together here. There's a big difference between, say, performing Macbeth word-for-word in a Stalinist, 1940s setting and redoing Pride and Prejudice as Bridget Jones' Diary. (And I quite liked both of those.) And I think there are different discussions to be had about either.

That said, I think the only fundamental question is: Does it work?

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
No modern version of a Shakespeare text even comes close. Even Henry V, which ain't a bad film by any means, isn't a patch on watching a live performance by a professional company. Having make that point, I would also add that an amateur production is maybe the most hellish event I can think of attending depending on the quality of the performers. As for school productions... I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon that watch kids murder the words.

Lady Ice

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, schoolchildren are wont to murder the lines. However I did see one quite good rendition by one boy.

Some updatings have been quite radical. R and J is based on Romeo and Juliet- it's set in a Catholic boy's school- there's only 4 boys in the cast and they have to multi-role and play female parts (the play is basically them doing the play secretly one night). Would you scream 'outrage' or be intrigued?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
What do you think of Shakespeare's Elizabethan-modernizations of older tales? Goethe's Faust? John Gardner's Grendel?

It all depends on the quality of the new rendering. There's no way to make a blanket statement.

On the other hand, the paperback novelization of the execrable recent modernization-movie of Great Expectations probably is the only book I've ever seen that I wanted to toss in my fireplace instantly.

caw

Last edited:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Ran is an awesome cinematic experience, but I can separate it from Shakespeare quite easily. It is its' own thing because of the setting and language (and the subtitles aren't a bastardized version of Shakespeare unlike some foreign-language films).

What do you think of Shakespeare's Elizabethan-modernizations of older tales?

Far superior to Hollywood's modernizations of Shakespeare's tales. :D

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
I liked Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination, which was a retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo. I was also pleased with Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Stephen King's retelling) and Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (an anime by Studio Gonzo).

Delhomeboy

Stalking Jennifer Aniston!
Registered
Reaction score
I liked Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination, which was a retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo. I was also pleased with Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Stephen King's retelling) and Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (an anime by Studio Gonzo).

Hmmm...was The Shawshank Redemption really a retelling? I honestly don't know, but I thought it was just another prison break story.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
Hmmm...was The Shawshank Redemption really a retelling? I honestly don't know, but I thought it was just another prison break story.

Maybe not, but Andy Dufresne was wrongly accused and convicted, and has a treasure waiting for him if he can only get out. He gets his revenge on the warden by getting out. :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm all, like, OMG. The Sandra Feinstein Gamm Theatre is actually doing Romeo and Juliet in Elizabethan dress this season. This will be the first Shakespeare play I've seen in decades that's in Elizabethan dress! I won't know how to react.

Though the very best Macbeth I ever saw was also by Gamm. The dress was sort of modern guerilla, but that wasn't the important thing. The staging was incredible, with the audience in four movable tiers that were, indeed, moved all over the former garage theater as the play unfolded. They started pushed against one wall, pretty normal. Then they were pushed to within three feet of the opposite wall, creating a claustrophobic hallway for Macbeth's argument with Lady M. and the "dagger before me" speech. Pushed to face the lobby for Lady M.'s mad scene. Circled around the dueling Macbeth and Macduff. Then there were the sweet little girls playing the witches (chilling), as well as Macduff's murdered chicks. The car of murderers barreling through the convenient garage door to get the Macduffs and load them into the trunk. Lady M. wandering around and around the whole garage through the climax. The actors hung in S/Mish attitudes from the ceiling to represent the carnage of the opening battle.

Sounds weird, was gorgeous and terrifying. I went three times.

Updated classics in book form? Well, looks like Pride and Prejudice has a big lead on those, lately. Right down to P & P and Zombies. Ewww.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
West Side Story is a successful retelling of Romeo and Juliette.

ejaycee

knows nothing of your ruined garden
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's good to retell stories, and add onto what has already been told, but without losing sight of the original story. It's the same thing with music, celtic music especially.

However, it's important it's done well. The Romeo and Juliet version starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes wasn't that great... I confess I cried toward the end, though I think that was more to do with memories of better versions than the actual quality of the thing.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Just be glad it doesn't also have robots, pirates, and ninja. :)

Actually, I believe that Lizzy Bennett is supposed to be a ninja, in this book. At any rate, when Darcy insults her at the first ball, she's about to restore her honor by cutting his throat or something of the sort. Then the zombies break in and start eating the dancers' brains. Kind of a distraction, you know.

Last edited:

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Shakespeare is often switched to a different time period in performance and many classics have undergone a modernisation.

Does it dumb down classics or give a relevant insight into modern society? Is it good that the classics are more accessible or an insult to the originals?

What do you think?

It can work or it can suck.

West Side Story, IMHO, was a good modernization of Romeo and Juliet although now it too is dated.

Lady Ice

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to see it.

Because Shakespeare's pretty vague with time and place (he gives a place and sort of a time but it's never very convincing) it allows for adaptations and playing around.

Menyanthana

Moonflower
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fine with it, as long as nobody sticks zombies in.

What about sea monsters?

I absolutely hate that kind of play where the actors use Shakespeare's words but are dressed in modern clothes and use computers and such.

However, if the whole story is changed to match modern times, and they don't call it "Romeo and Juliet" or "King Lear" but just use the plot, that's okay.

"Modernisation"...I hate that. They tried to modernise "Lord of the Rings" by translating it into colloquial German. Wolfgang Krege translated "great" into "g..." (Yes, he didn't write it out. That's because what's meant is "geil" and this is "modern" i.e. colloquial for "great" but can also mean "horny".)

Lady Ice

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind if they're dressed in modern clothes if it's a bid to make a certain statement. Julius Caesar would look even more relevant done in modern clothing.

If they are drawing a parallel which is fair enough or making a statement that has some sort of justification, modernisation is fine. If it's just a bid to dilute it and dumb it down...not good.

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
Just be glad it doesn't also have robots, pirates, and ninja. :)

Actually, the women are basically trained ninjas. (Not kidding, that's an actual plotline, they have katanas.)

Status
Not open for further replies.