Thanksgiving FAQ for the whole AW Community

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a NSFAQ for you guys:

So we're doing Thanksgiving for 3 friends and 8 of my in-laws. I should say that two inlaws were invited, and the other 6 invited themselves. Yeah, I know. My partner makes only really delicious gourmet food.

Anyways, my partner called her brother to ask if he ate a certain type of sausages. He asked what she was making (lamb chops, pheasant, gumbo, plus a bunch of sides). He claimed to 'not like gumbo that much' (which is crazy, the whole family eats it like the world is ending), and when she asked if he liked lamb or pheasant, he said he would bring a sliced cooked turkey from the Honeybaked Ham store and eat that instead.

At that point her response was, I believe, something to the effect of "Hulk SMASH!!!!!" She's ragingly mad. So...the only thing to do about that is to just let it go, right? That's what I told her to do...My brother in law and his GF are going to look like dummies eating a Turkey cooked at the store when there's serious gourmet food being made and devoured. The weird thing is that all the sibs grew up eating unusual and gourmet and international food made by their dad who was a chef. How can such in-law traumas be withstood?

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He's her brother, let her deal with him. The point should be being together, not what gets eaten. I have one niece who has never eaten anything at my turkey day dinners other than black olives and mashed potatoes (with no gravy). If he wants store bought turkey, and is willing to bring it himself, don't worry about it.

And remember one of my favorite sayings for family gatherings: everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another glass of wine

MM

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And remember one of my favorite sayings for family gatherings: everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another glass of wine

MM

I'm gonna embroider than on a freakin pillow :D

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
I don't get it either, but I'd let it go. I have one relative who always brings that slimy canned green beans and fried onions thing and eats that...oh, and one year, two day old deviled eggs. What people find palatable continues to mystify me.

Dicentra P

Help!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a NSFAQ for you guys:

So we're doing Thanksgiving for 3 friends and 8 of my in-laws. I should say that two inlaws were invited, and the other 6 invited themselves. Yeah, I know. My partner makes only really delicious gourmet food.

Anyways, my partner called her brother to ask if he ate a certain type of sausages. He asked what she was making (lamb chops, pheasant, gumbo, plus a bunch of sides). He claimed to 'not like gumbo that much' (which is crazy, the whole family eats it like the world is ending), and when she asked if he liked lamb or pheasant, he said he would bring a sliced cooked turkey from the Honeybaked Ham store and eat that instead.

At that point her response was, I believe, something to the effect of "Hulk SMASH!!!!!" She's ragingly mad. So...the only thing to do about that is to just let it go, right? That's what I told her to do...My brother in law and his GF are going to look like dummies eating a Turkey cooked at the store when there's serious gourmet food being made and devoured. The weird thing is that all the sibs grew up eating unusual and gourmet and international food made by their dad who was a chef. How can such in-law traumas be withstood?

Honestly, unless said brother in law was one of the invited family members I would simply state that the table does not have room for additional guests so if he cannot eat what is served he can 1) eat before or after or 2) stay home. That is the choice of my husband who does not at any time of year eat any kind of poultry. He would never dictate to anyone else what they serve based on his preferences or traditions. If you're a bit nicer than me or if brother in law is invited I would allow him to bring a portion for himself and partner to discretely eat but not put the turkey on the table. Otherwise it is logistically to much for a formal dinner that involves a dozen people other than said brother in law. Unless you have a lot more space in your kitchen/dining room than most people do there's not room for a turkey in addition to the spread your partner is preparing.

Dawnbird

Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
You're exactly right. In the words of my (grumpy) grandmother: If you don't like my food, get the hell out of my house.

I couldn't help myself. I bought a sweet potato pie yesterday. Most of it is gone, now.

Sean Craven

VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
I have to admit that I regard Thanksgiving dinner as a penance. I had to make my first when I was in elementary school, and one year the missus had me make two of them -- on for her family, and one for her daughter's family. Thing is? I'm bored to the point of insanity by turkey. Frankly, I see the whole thing as an exercise in gravy delivery. I've been relieved the last few years when my sister took over the whole shebang, relegating me to gravy patrol and other minor chores.

But there is one dish that I'm obliged to make every year. I'm not sure what to call it -- it's basically escargot, only with mushrooms instead of snails. My sister had me make 'em for her wedding, and the caterers ate most of them while they were still in the kitchen.

Here's what I do.

Let a pound of butter soften until it can be easily stirred. I use a wooden spoon, because silverware tends to bend. (Unfortunately for the household, I'm a regular Uri Geller when it comes to table- and cookware.) Add two nice big bunches of chopped parsley, salt and pepper to taste, about six to eight cloves of finely minced garlic, and a bit less than half a lemon's worth of zest. Stir until everything is thoroughly incorporated. Then add as much lemon juice as the butter will hold -- I usually go for two or three lemons worth. There will be a puddle of garlicky lemon juice at the bottom of the bowl. The end result should be a sort of solid vinaigrette.

Then take a couple-three pounds of mushrooms (for purposes of economy I usually use cremini mushrooms), remove the stems (if they ain't woody, reserve them for use in gravy and stuffing), and fill the hollows with the seasoned butter. Put them butter-side up (think of them as little cups) into baking dishes and slide them into a 350 degree oven and bake them until the tops are browned and the seasoned butter is bubbling.

Note to the observant. After serving you will notice that there are nice brown mushroom juices on the bottom of the baking dishes. Only a fool would avoid sopping them up with a piece of bread. And I've been thinking that a nice sprinkling of breadcrumbs on top might not represent a serious tragedy.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
If you're sick of turkey try something new! Try ham, or turducken (hehe) or any number of things. Just because it's thanksgiving doesn't mean you HAVE to serve turkey. Do what some other members and doing and serve gumbo. Have some fun with it though.

Justin91

Registered
Reaction score
If you're sick of turkey try something new! Try ham, or turducken (hehe) or any number of things. Just because it's thanksgiving doesn't mean you HAVE to serve turkey. Do what some other members and doing and serve gumbo. Have some fun with it though.

We always have a spiral cut ham for Thanksgiving as well as a turkey. We have a really large crowd of folks over for the dinner.

Gumbo does sound good though...

Dawnbird

Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
My sister had a birthday party last weekend for her littlest and it was all fall themed. Since I helped put everything together, I knew the funny looking pie on the dessert table was actually a pumpkin chiffon with graham cracker crust and home-made whipped cream topping. I stuck it in between the dutch apple and the pecans and everybody assumed it was something odd and went for the plain pumpkin. :D It was so good it was like committing sin.

Those mushrooms sound just as good. I'll see if I can get my sisters interested in making those. They sound great.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
My sister had a birthday party last weekend for her littlest and it was all fall themed. Since I helped put everything together, I knew the funny looking pie on the dessert table was actually a pumpkin chiffon with graham cracker crust and home-made whipped cream topping. I stuck it in between the dutch apple and the pecans and everybody assumed it was something odd and went for the plain pumpkin. :D It was so good it was like committing sin.

Those mushrooms sound just as good. I'll see if I can get my sisters interested in making those. They sound great.

Oooh! Share recipe please.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Ah...the old misshapen delicious dessert ruse. A classic, elegant but sinister :)

Justin91

Registered
Reaction score
earlier, I was making broccoli caserole, just the cheese and broccoli to put in a casserole dish overnight, add the ritz cracker topping tomorow and bake just priot to the meal....

I just made broccoli soup!!!!!!!

I wasted 4 bags of broccoli and a whole block of velveeta...

I looked at the package of broccoli...it was just florets, no stems. I boiled them too long and it all turned into a pretty good broccoli cheese dip for chips.

Off to the store again...and I was trying to stay away from the crowd!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
crap, that reminds me, I still have rolls and a chocolate pie to make on top of the donuts I just made.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
So far, I've got the pies done (and hidden) the cake done (and hidden) the bread dough rising and the cornbread in the oven for the dressing. I'll do the dressing tonight, and that's it. Everything else is tomorrow.

Except for trying to find something large enough to put this ridiculously huge turkey in so I can brine it. *sigh* Note to self--never let the husband buy the turkey in the future. Never.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Going to go for a walk, then come home and make a pumpkin pie while I puzzle through some plot problems, I think. :)

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Except for trying to find something large enough to put this ridiculously huge turkey in so I can brine it. *sigh* Note to self--never let the husband buy the turkey in the future. Never.

Bathtub!

I'm in charge of baking this year. So far I made the cornbread (for stuffin) and the frosting. Still have to make 5 pie crusts, double layer cake, and rolls when I get home tonight. Sleep is for the weak. Baked goods are for winners.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Get a new 40 gallon galvanized garbage can. Insert 40 gallon black plastic garbage bag. Pour in brining stuff. Drop in turkey. Voila!

MM

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since mashed potatoes are a given, I have to say cornbread dressing is the must-side. (Dressing, because we don't cook any in the turkey, which would make it stuffing ;o) My Gran made a killer dressing, but no one in the family seems able to make it like hers.