The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: ENC Press / New Standards Publishing Group

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Vincenzo's Avatar

ENC Press / New Standards Publishing Group

Hi, Does anyone have any experience with ENC Press? http://www.encpress.com/

This seems to be an independent, boutique press and pretty much a one-person -- Olga Gardner Glavin -- operation. I've heard her speak (on-line) about her philosophy. She dismisses brick & mortar bookstores and big, impersonal publishing houses. That's okay, but is she successful in getting an unknown author's (that's me) book out there?

Thanks!
    Vvvv

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I searched ENC's website (which was hard for me, because of all the eye-rolling I was doing), and couldn't find any distribution information or ordering info for booksellers. I found some ENC books on Amazon, but all the listings seem to have been posted by used book sellers. My guess is that this publisher has neither a distributor nor a wholesaler.

Disparage brick-and-mortar bookstores as you will, you need them if you want volume sales. A lot of books are sold online, but even more are sold offline. Authors with a publisher that does not attempt to get physical bookstore distribution can probably count on small sales. Authors with a publisher that doesn't even list its books with online vendors can probably expect miniscule sales, beyond those they make themselves.

- Victoria

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    A lot of books are sold online, but even more are sold offline.
    And the ones that are sold on-line are generally the exact same titles that are selling off-line.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    I searched ENC's website (which was hard for me, because of all the eye-rolling I was doing), and couldn't find any distribution information or ordering info for booksellers.

- Victoria
    My bold.

Sorry, I know I'm not adding anything to the conversation but I had to highlight that delicious little plum from Victoria, which made me splurt my morning cup of tea all over my monitor.

As you were.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Vincenzo's Avatar
    I sense that more and more of the marketing is being left up to authors, no matter the publisher.
    Vvvv

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I sense that more and more of the marketing is being left up to authors, no matter the publisher.
    I haven't seen anything to make me think that's true.

I agree, but I'm getting a sense that more writers feel that they have to participate in promotion.

However, I'll still stick by what I've always said: All that promotion effort isn't likely to do a bit of good if people can't conveniently buy your book. If your publisher isn't backing you up, you're just spinning your wheels.

Publishers ought to be passionate about the books they produce. They should want to share that passion by working to get their books into the hands of as many readers as possible. Not coincidentally, that's how books get sold and they - and you - make money.

From ENC's About page.
    ENC Press is the intelligent alternative to the crassness of mainstream distribution and remaindering.
    Translation: We don't have distribution.

We use 21st-century, cutting-edge production technology
    Translation: POD

nor do we pay mainstream online booksellers a king’s ransom to add our titles to their vast databases,
    Translation: We can't afford ISBNs so don't look for your book on Amazon, or anywhere else. Your local bookstore probably can't even special-order them.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    I'm not finding anything published after '09. Facebook and Twitter are active, tho'.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Publishing has resumed and, indeed, none of their recent books are on Amazon. Is currently closed to submissions, but happily offers consultation to self-publishers.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Culminating in "sister company" New Standards Publishing Group: http://www.nspubgroup.com/index.html
    ICAO
    ---------