• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kasma Publishing / Kasma Magazine

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
This was just posted on another message board for a publisher called Kasma Publishing. http://www.kasmapublishing.com/ Didn't find any other information on them, and their Web site looks a bit on the sparse side. Doesn't help that they're taking Google ads in a fairly prominent place and all the ads are for self-publishing!

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a coincidence that the book on their front page is titled Kasma. I smell self-pubbed author turned publisher.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Last edited:

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Canadian based. Editor/owner is Alex Korovessis.

Some of his own work here:

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2736891/1/Deaths_Angel

MySpace page. Do take a peek at the video.

http://www.myspace.com/kasmamagazine

Talks about himself here:

http://www.writers.net/writers/71020

I haven't been writing long, but I have managed to get two of my pieces published in a couple of magazines. I am not the best writer, but I enjoy it as a hobby.

Not the best writer, enjoys it as a hobby, opens publishing company? Right, then.

~brianm~

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I submitted a story to Kasma Magazine a few weeks ago. Alex Korovessis sent me a reply the next day, saying he liked it and would "pass it along to some of our staff here." (With a comment that showed he'd read the piece.)

A couple of weeks went by, and I got another e-mail (also from Korovessis) saying they'd decided not to use it.

That's the extent of my experience with Kasma; don't know what it means about their operation, but Korovessis was prompt and polite.

scifibunny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kasmamagazine.com
Harsh...

If it were a running scam, some of those comments would be deserved...

But since it's not...aren't some of you going out of your way to be mean?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nobody called it a scam. They were just pointing out a trend that's all too familiar: somebody who says they love books decides to go into publishing with absolutely no experience in the business. It never bodes well. B&BC is littered with this pattern.

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
If it were a running scam, some of those comments would be deserved...

But since it's not...aren't some of you going out of your way to be mean?

A clueless publisher will kill a book every bit as dead as a shady publisher will. You don't get bonuspoints for good intentions when the end result is just as disastrous.

scifibunny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kasmamagazine.com
Thank You

Well, I suppose no matter what you do in life there will be people who want to knock you down.

I put my heart in everything I do, and I will make this succeed.

Best wishes to you all.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Well, I suppose no matter what you do in life there will be people who want to knock you down.

I put my heart in everything I do, and I will make this succeed.
Scifi, no one here is out to stick a fork in your eye because they have nothing better to do. This is a bewares board, and this means that agents and editors come under scrutiny when there appear to be inconsistencies with normal publishing patterns. Everyone hopes you succeed, but it would be helpful if you had distribution, appeared to understand the nature of how books are sold, and how to market to your book's readership.

From what I've been able to find out, you are a brand new start-up without much working capital. you have no way of getting your books to market other than internet sales. Your website is Spartan, so there's no way of knowing what kind of editors you have. A shoe-string budget doesn't allow for quality editors, cover designers, layout designers, marketing and promotion - and print runs.

Given those realities, it gives one pause as to what makes your company stand out. What can you offer authors that's unique to other publishers ane will propel books into readers' hands?

Putting your heart and soul into an endeavor is admirable, but it doesn't sell books. You need to have the ability, and that is the question on everyone's mind.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
This has nothing to do with "knocking someone down".

As soon as I read the line that Brian posted, my thoughts went to Capri Publishing and then Heliographica Publishing and then . . .

But, I could be wrong. Prove it to us.

What's your experience in publishing?
Have you ever run a company before in any capacity?
What's your business plan?
Have you secured sufficient funding to get this business off the ground
What's your plan for getting books into bookstores?
Who's your distributuor?
Who're your editors?
How much experiece do they have editing novels or non-fiction?
How many authors do you expect to publish a year?
Who's handling publicity for your company?
Who're your sales reps? How many do you have?
Who're the artists you have lined up to do covers?
Can people see a copy of the contract to compare it against other standard publishing contracts?

And I ask these questions, not only as a member of Writer Beware, but as someone who ran a small comic publishing company in the 90s and who remembers what I went through and how much money I personally ran through to do A 32 page quarterly comic book. And this was with a lot of input and support from people who were successful small comic publishers who guided me away from many of the pitfalls I nearly plunged into.

If you've never been in publishing, it is a business like no other out there.

And the biggest worry most of the people here have is not for the publisher, who if they fail are out time and money, but for the authors who's books get tied up, may lose first print rights, may lose the rights to the book completely if the contract isn't clear should the publisher go under, etc.

We want publishers to succeed. I want places to submit my books to and to be able to make money off my work.

BUT, my primary concern is always for the authors.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Anyone know if Kasma Publishing is still up and running? All links go to Kasma Magazine only unless my laptop is playing up.

Duotrope says they're no longer in business. The magazine does still seem to be running. Maybe the owner decided to focus on the magazine?

Keffington

Kiss me, I'm a prince!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.keffy.com
There is no specific reason to warn against Kasma itself, as I have heard nothing bad about payment speed here and C.M. has published with them.

HOWEVER:

The editor of Kasma Publications, Alex Korovessis, is also involved with Astra Publications: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189989 Discussion is ongoing in that thread, and I think anybody interested in publishing here should check out the Astra thread as well.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The magazine is still up and current, though. One can hope it means he's refocused on the one project.