AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Never-Ending Religion Thread (NERT)

Moderator In Name Only AW Moderator Roger J Carlson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aruna View Post
    But, I think that Gandhi was probably speaking not in a general sense, as in "all Christians", but of those whom he had personally experienced; and certainly, Christians in British India were a pretty obnoxious lot, on the whole! Going arund telling the native heathens they'd burn in hell.... not nice.
    Probably. Almost certainly. Of course, I didn't know the man, so I can't say what was going through his head. And of course, in order to be quotable, a statement has to be pithy without a lot of qualifiers.

But if we're going to give Gandhi the benefit of the doubt, why not extend that to Christians?
    Last edited by Roger J Carlson; 10-30-2009 at 10:50 PM.
    --Roger J. Carlson

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac ad_lucem's Avatar
    It is a pretty glib statement, but as you rightly pointed out...that's a quote for you!

Not everything Christian leaders say is automatically wrong. There are many times I find myself in agreement with the Pope. Although, there are times when I just hang my head and ask, "Dear God, did he really just say that?"

We should all be giving each other the benefit of the doubt Christian or non-Christian. No more of this shoot first, ask questions later garbage. Hear what people have to say.

As I said to my husband's friend, people don't come to their belief's lightly. So it is important to respect them and hear them out. If you want to share your Christian beliefs, the best time is in an open atmosphere, in a moderate tone, and when the conversation is ripe for such a discussion.

I would say the same to an atheist or Buddhist if they asked me about all the great, grand good some seminar of theirs was going to do.

You know, it's just the whole "you catch more flies with honey" thing. That's all. No one is going to hear you if you're screaming at them or calling them names.

Quote Originally Posted by ad_lucem View Post
    You know, it's just the whole "you catch more flies with honey" thing. That's all. No one is going to hear you if you're screaming at them or calling them names.
    I'm sorry. This is way off topic, but that expression really annoys me. Flies are not especially attracted to honey.

Do you know what really attracts them? Think about it.
    --Roger J. Carlson

Hey, maybe he was on the right track after all! Sorry, there goes my inner chimp, again.

*sigh*

You know, what I've always wondered about that saying? Why the heck you'd WANT to catch flies? I can understand wanting to squish flies, but catch them?

Ah, idioms. Those wonderful nonsensical things.

Reminds me of this NPR story about the book I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=105928918

I still need to get that book.

Banned
    I like turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne K View Post
    I like turtles.
    In a soup or in a zoo?

Okay, everybody. I'm movin' on. It's been great chatting, though. Good reminder that it's just a human problem not a religion one. Gotta drop the "XYZ" people are nuts and just say people are nuts. That covers it better anyway.

In a soup or in a zoo?

Okay, everybody. I'm movin' on. It's been great chatting, though. Good reminder that it's just a human problem not a religion one. Gotta drop the "XYZ" people are nuts and just say people are nuts. That covers it better anyway.
    I'm glad you don't hate Letter People. That would be really sad.

(Although Mr. X *is* "different than all the other letter people")
    --Roger J. Carlson

Banned
    I'll tell you the truth outside of AW I can't think of anyplace where I give a damn who I offend. But when it comes to religion threads. My answer is : I like turtles.

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    Gotta drop the "XYZ" people are nuts and just say people are nuts. That covers it better anyway.

oh no she dident. snap!
    **My 6th novel, PRIDE MUST BE A PLACE, releases February 6th, 2018! (LGBTQ Young Adult)
    Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    I'll tell you the truth outside of AW I can't think of anyplace where I give a damn who I offend. So when it comes to religion threads. My answer is : I like turtles.
    yeah, yeah, yeah.
    **My 6th novel, PRIDE MUST BE A PLACE, releases February 6th, 2018! (LGBTQ Young Adult)
    Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page

Okay, was gone, but saw this and had to post it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbMAsjvLDrg

The Pixar letter people...gone bad.

practical experience, FTW TabithaTodd's Avatar
    I've learned over the years to play the game of "pass the bean dip" with people like that. I don't talk theology with a person I know is like that. They are not going to listen no matter how long you speak, they shut down the moment you have something to bring to the table that, to them, negates their beliefs.

People like that will never change because they don't want to.

Author Blog http://tabithatodd.wordpress.com

Silent Invasion

Night & Day

Banned
    I do you know?

I'll tell you the truth outside of AW I can't think of anyplace where I give a damn who I offend. But when it comes to religion threads. My answer is : I like turtles.
    You're dodging the deeper question here Wayne K:

In a soup or in a zoo? Or, dare I suggest...both?

Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    oh no she dident. snap!
    Oh yeah, girlfriend, I did.

*word*

Or something...

Okay, now I'm really gone, or I'm going to miss my window of opportunity to get this stupid paper done.

It's a doggy dog world benbradley's Avatar
    Ello.
    NaNoWriMo 2014: Unknown.
    Tweets daily or so.

Not new, not old, just me. Clifton Hill's Avatar
    Interesting story, sorry it touched on a raw nerve at the time. Try to use it in your own stories though if you can.

I find it fascinating how vastly different people's viewpoints can be. I can't help but think that my own personal viewpoint is right, but I always try to listen to others, and even if I don't want to consider their viewpoint I will anyways. However there are many people out there that could not be convinced that the sky was falling even if it was right on their head if they believed different. Why that is, is all tied up in who they are and why they believe in what they believe. Funny thing though is that it points to me that they think they know everything, or at least what they know is absolute truth. But that seems kind of silly to think considering that we are only human and discovering new things every day of our lives. Or at least you should be. I figure that the day you stop learning is the day you die - figuratively at least, if not literally.

In answer to your question (of sorts) I think you will run into problems in any state, blue, red, purple, or clear. Though perhaps the frequency may vary... Just find some ground of sanity amongst some friends you can rely on to feel like the world isn't falling apart all around you, and call it a day.
    Regards,
    Clifton Hill

-Short Story (9k); Submitting- "Child of Iron" Dark-themed fantasy
    -Novel (95/110k); 3rd draft- "Hestea Hammerblood" Battle-heavy epic fantasy
    -Novel (20k/100k); Outline done- "City of Dogs" Near future sci-fi thriller
    -Novel (???k); WIP- Epic fantasy piece
    Art Portfolio | Blog | Linked In |Twitter | Facebook

I like Wayne.
    "I never said, 'I could write.' I said, 'I could, right?'."

Hushpuppy: "When it all goes quiet behind my eyes, I see everything that made me flying around in invisible pieces. When I look too hard it goes away. And when it all goes quiet, I see they are right here. I see that I'm a little piece of a big, big universe and that makes things right. When I die, the scientists of the future, they're gonna find it all. They're gonna know, once there was a Hushpuppy and she lived with her daddy in the bathtub." ~ Beasts of the Southern Wild

Banned
    i liek sereel!

I'm afraid this thread is getting far too cheerful for TIO. Someone burst the bubble quick!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger J Carlson View Post
    But if we're going to give Gandhi the benefit of the doubt, why not extend that to Christians?
    Oh but I do! In my youth, I did meet a few "you are going to hell" folk who called themselves Christians. But just about all the Christians I;ve met in the last 30-40 years or so are the genuine kind, aka followers of Christ. So THAT is my definition of a Christian now, and my definition of Christians is 100% positive. I've never been one to point fingers and say "look at the atrocities committed by Christians"! In my book if they have committed atrocities they are not Christians - full stop.
    OUT NOW!
    The Lost Daughter of India
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Sons of Gods -- the Mahabharata

Website
    Facebook

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

Bottom-right hand side of the map. Tucked away down there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger J Carlson View Post
    And ALL Buddhists EVERYWHERE are exactly like the Buddha? Methinks Gandhi was guilty of seeing the speck in someone else's eye.
    MASSIVE extrapolation of meaning there, Roger.
    Nothing was mentioned in this quote about other religions; no doubt Gandhi was just answering the question of "What do you personally think of Christians?" or similar.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry, couldn't resist chiming in with Gandhi's response when visiting England and asked by a British journalist: "And what do you think of Western civilisation?"
    He replied: "I think it would be a good idea."

Banned
    I already mentioned that. Nyar nyar nyar nyar nyar!

Banned
    Luce, I sympathise. I'm an atheist with far more theist friends than non-theist. I'm unfailingly civil to the evangelists who knock at my door every few weekends. I explain gently that I'm an atheist, refrain from complaining that they're interrupting my privacy and the peaceful enjoyment of my weekend, and most of the time either get treated like an ignorant fool or get looked at with hatred.

The issue for me isn't people with strong, different opinions. I love differences. It's not having someone see my opinions as wrong or bad. It's the idea that my opinions are so worthless that they should be dismissed before even being understood. It takes a special kind of ingrained stupid to do that. It's not a stupid confined to one particular faith, but I don't need that kind of stupid seeking me out in my home, and of course it doesn't need to be in your Facebook either.

In my opinion, a good husband should support your dignity and back you. I hope he does.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast