What can I expect from an agent?

stargurl128

Stargirl128
Registered
Reaction score
Okay I know this is way too early to think about but I have a question. Let's say I query an american agency and I live in Canada. If they wanted to meet face to face how would that work? Would I have to go there? Would the agency pay for my plane tickets? And if they do request to see you in person to discuss my book what should I know? What exactly would they say and would I need to bring a lawyer or a parent to discuss of things would go buisness wise? (Considering I'm still 15 I'm pretty sure I would have to bring a parent.)

RBSHoo

One of those quiet-but-smart guys...
Registered
Reaction score
1. They don't have to meet you face to face. Some agents never meet their clients in person, or do so only by chance, when they both end up at a conference at the same time or something. That doesn't mean you won't ever meet them.

2. Agents will NOT pay for you to fly anywhere.

3. All discussion about your book will happen by email and phone.

4. You will not need to bring a lawyer, because you will not need to bring yourself.

5. Yes, if you are a minor, you will need a parent to sign any contracts on your behalf, whether it's with the agency or with the publisher.

Hope that helps. Keep at it!

Last edited:

stargurl128

Stargirl128
Registered
Reaction score
That's kind of sad. I'd like to actually meet the person who tries to help me publish my work. But if you have to sign contracts and you never meet in person...how does that work?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... get a bestseller on the shelves and you'll be sure to get paid-for airfare from some quarter or other. Bet Oprah would spring for tickets, along with room and board for you and yours ;-)

Good Luck!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
That's kind of sad. I'd like to actually meet the person who tries to help me publish my work.

Air fares are expensive and unnecessary. At the time that you sign with an agent, you have made precisely $0 money for the agency, and may never make them a single cent. They have no incentive to spend money on you. Your publisher will give you an advance, but there won't be enough money splashing around that they'll casually blow it on plane tickets.

(I snickered watching the TV show Bones, where the writer protagonist is showered with fast cars and expensive watches by her publisher.)

But if you have to sign contracts and you never meet in person...how does that work?

They mail you the contract, you sign it and send it back.

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
That's kind of sad. I'd like to actually meet the person who tries to help me publish my work. But if you have to sign contracts and you never meet in person...how does that work?

Or email. Mine emailed the contract, I printed and signed and sent it back.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If you live in the same city as an agent, or can afford to get there, the agent may well ask to meet you. Some good agents like to know the writers they represent, just to see how they stack up, which is one reason many agents like finding clients at conferences.

But unless a publisher offers you a really huge advance, which does occasionally happen, you won't be doing much travelling.

Reaction score
If you live in the same city as an agent, or can afford to get there, the agent may well ask to meet you. Some good agents like to know the writers they represent, just to see how they stack up, which is one reason many agents like finding clients at conferences.

But unless a publisher offers you a really huge advance, which does occasionally happen, you won't be doing much travelling.
That's good to know. I'm a hermit who just wants to keep writing. :D

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
I recently met my agent in person...her idea...we live in the same area (kind of) I had my doubts about it but am glad I did. Actually seeing how enthusiatic she was did wonderful things for my self-confidence. It doesn't convey the same way via email.

RBSHoo

One of those quiet-but-smart guys...
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I should have said that agents don't HAVE to meet you to represent you. It's not that they don't WANT to meet you. But they can certainly represent you via the wonders of modern technology. But I think the other things I wrote still apply.

stargurl128

Stargirl128
Registered
Reaction score
I guess that makes sense. Still, to me, it seems very impersonal. It's like hello, I'd like to represent your book but I don't care to meet you because I don't have the time for it. As blunt and clear as that statement may be it's still kind of rude. But that may be because of my upbringing. :) It's all the work of my masterminded parents. :D

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I guess that makes sense. Still, to me, it seems very impersonal. It's like hello, I'd like to represent your book but I don't care to meet you because I don't have the time for it. As blunt and clear as that statement may be it's still kind of rude. But that may be because of my upbringing. :) It's all the work of my masterminded parents. :D

If you're really that desperate to meet a hypothetical agent who's offered representation, then I'm sure you'd be welcome to somehow find the money for the plane ticket and then fly over there and pay for accommodation and eating-out costs and everything else. I'm sure the agent would find time to meet a client if you were in the city. Just be aware that it's a huge amount of money and inconvenience and it's totally unnecessary, and you can't expect the agent to put themselves out for your personal quirks. :)

Reaction score
Pfft. If not meeting me means an agent has more time to work on selling my book, then I can deal with that!

I'd prefer it that way to be honest. Travelling down to London would take up so much writing time, and that's all I want to do.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
I meet my agent a couple of times a year, usually when I go to Toronto (though she flew out here a couple of weeks ago). She buys lunch, we gossip and break down our plan for world domination over martinis, and all is well with the world.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I operate in a resort area, so I have had the chance to meet a few of my clients. I actually met three of them at the Daytona airport, spaced just right so they had a chance to chat with me and with each other, then split for the resorts.

Only had one client that flew in specifically to see me--twice.