Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Obama election changed voter testosterone
Oct. 22, 2009
Courtesy Duke University
and World Science staff
Young men who voted for the main losing candidates in the 2008 presidential election suffered a rapid drop in testosterone levels when results came out, a new study indicates. At the same time, men who voted for the winner, Barack Obama, had unusually stable testosterone levels. . . .

http://www.world-science.net/othernews/091022_testosterone.htm

Wow.

Talk about taking it personally. . . .

Last edited:

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Lord, don't you think this is a little OTT?

As if there isn't enough sour grapes going around about the election. One more thing we can blame Obama for. <g>

EM,
who thinks there are better things for scientists to study

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
That's just weird. Not the results, of course. Nobody likes to lose and it could stand to reason that our body chemistry could temporarily reflect that chagrin. I'm just baffled that anyone cared to prick (ahem) voters to check the state of their gonads after results on election night.

People are so weird.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
That's just weird. Not the results, of course. Nobody likes to lose and it could stand to reason that our body chemistry could temporarily reflect that chagrin. I'm just baffled that anyone cared to prick (ahem) voters to check the state of their gonads after results on election night.

People are so weird.

My thoughts exactly.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Wow.

Talk about taking it personally. . . .
Yeah, but I bet the results would be the same after the Superbowl. Men invested in competition, even by proxy, will respond to the result on a physical level. If the test were sensitive enough, I imagine they'd find a correlative analysis in women's testosterone levels after pinning their hopes and favor, as a spectator, on a competitor as well.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but I bet the results would be the same after the Superbowl. Men invested in competition, even by proxy, will respond to the result on a physical level. If the test were sensitive enough, I imagine they'd find a correlative analysis in women's testosterone levels after pinning their hopes and favor, as a spectator, on a competitor as well.

There was no difference in women's testosterone levels. Frankly, I think it speaks volumes. . . LOL. . . .

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
There was no difference in women's testosterone levels. Frankly, I think it speaks volumes. . . LOL. . . .
For this 'event', maybe and this tiny sampling. Chemically speaking, I don't find it surprising that men are more organically competitive.

I would be very surprised if women's testosterone were unaffected by the result of competition across the board.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Who funded that study? I want to develop some Texas swampland, I'm sure they'd be interested in investing.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just curious. Has anybody read the article??

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah. I did. I just think it has a reasonably high duh-factor.

“This is a pretty powerful result,” said Duke neuroscientist Kevin LaBar. “Voters are physiologically affected by having their candidate win or lose an election.” In a post-election questionnaire, the McCain and Barr backers described feeling significantly more unhappy, submissive, unpleasant and controlled than the Obama voters.

Powerful result? How many civilians couldn't have predicted that one? It's kind of silly.

Do you see any deeper applications for their conclusions?

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I did. I just think it has a reasonably high duh-factor.

Powerful result? How many civilians couldn't have predicted that one? It's kind of silly.

Do you see any deeper applications for their conclusions?

Well, I actually posted this because I thought it was humorous, but to honest, yes, I do see perhaps not immediate applications but definitely implications that have significant impact on the state of politics and war on the planet. Yup. I think it's pretty potent stuff. . .no pun intended. . . .

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
It lasted two and a half years. That's the problem. The testosterone got all wore out and ran away from the abuse after the results.
Yeah, I know. Too bad we can't give them all a pill to make it go away.

(I'm Canadian and was sick of watching / hearing about it after a month. I can't imagine what Americans had to go through. You have my deepest sympathies.)

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I actually agree with the point I think BoP's making in this thread. Politics basically boils down to dudes trash-talkin' who's gonna whip whose ass, throwing punches in the form of negative ads, and doin' the Rocky Dance when your team of good guys beats the other team of bad guys, 'cause you had eternal truth on your side. It's emotional, not reasoned.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I actually agree with the point I think BoP's making in this thread. Politics basically boils down to dudes trash-talkin' who's gonna whip whose ass, throwing punches in the form of negative ads, and doin' the Rocky Dance when your team of good guys beats the other team of bad guys, 'cause you had eternal truth on your side. It's emotional, not reasoned.

I think there is an element of this in the political circus, but if it were that simple, even guys - thick-headed, useless, and ruled by their testes as they are - would have figured that out. Without an expensive study.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I think there is an element of this in the political circus, but if it were that simple, even guys - thick-headed, useless, and ruled by their testes as they are - would have figured that out. Without an expensive study.
A lot of people have figured it out. Don't a third or more of eligible voters skip the whole charade? Some cynically assume that no matter who they vote for, one wing of the Republicrat party is going to win, and by the next election they will be giving more to the government and making fewer of their own decisions regardless of who wins. Some are so principled that they don't vote because they feel that would be legitimizing theft.

But for the most part, you can't watch the election coverage, or go to a local hangout and discuss politics, and still pretend that politics is about reasoned discourse and people making the most intelligent choice.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
(I'm Canadian and was sick of watching / hearing about it after a month. I can't imagine what Americans had to go through. You have my deepest sympathies.)

Thanks Jenn! I am a frequent visitor here at P&CE, however those ads, especially the attack ones Don referenced in his post 23, give me bad reactions.

Especially when you take into account that if the ad says, "so-and-so voted against X." They may have done so because Y was in the bill. The Congressional way of pork and pork with extra pork sauce results in an overabundance of ammo for attack ads.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I think this happens because people, guys especially, view elections as sports events. The same thing might happen if their favorite baseball team loses the World Series.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
The article was an utter joke. From the medical standpoint it had no clinical relevance. The half life of testosterone in the human blood is about twenty minutes. It fluctuates, and about the worst time you could measure it and expect to have useful information is the evening to night time period for a person who sleeps at night. If you want to measure testosterone, and make any kind of population statistical claims, you need blood, not spit. You need to measure it against diurnal variation within the individual controlled against their sleep cycle, which they didn't. To make a claim like the author claims, you would also need to control against a variety of other things, like seeing what happens to their levels when they get the wrong food from a carrry-out order. THAT would provide more useful information.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I, a conservative with depleted testosterone, somehow manged to impregnate my wife.

It must be a conspiracy - ACORN agents did it!