The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Black & White Publishing

practical experience, FTW

Black & White Publishing

Does anyone know about these Scottish publishers?

http://www.blackandwhitepublishing.com/index.php

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Website looks good in that it is focused on selling their books to readers rather than their publishing services to authors

practical experience, FTW
    Yeah I thought they look legit. I have queried on their form. will see how it goes

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin aphroditemf's Avatar
    Hello, I'm new to this site (and to the world of writing and publishing) and wondered if you could help me?

I submitted a partial to Black & White a week or so ago and just received a request for a full manuscript and chapter breakdown. Has anybody had any recent experience in dealing with them, and should I be wary for any reason? My concern is whether they are a more worthwhile prospect than self-publishing, as of course I'm reticent to pay a proportion of any royalties to a small press that offers limited (or no) editing and promotion.

Thanks!

I just took a look at their website, which looks lovely. I liked most of their covers, too. I checked the sales ranking on Amazon UK of the first book I saw on their headline crawl (which one would think would be one of their big sellers) and it was almost 87,000, which isn't great by any means. On Amazon.com it was almost 1,500,000. That doesn't translate into more than a handful of sales on Amazon.com*. So, for the UK it probably has better sales than most self-publishing, but for the US it doesn't appear to.

Just some data points, not a judgment or recommendation, either way.

(*Amazon keeps their algorithms a dark secret, but we do know they score like golf: the lower, the better.)
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin aphroditemf's Avatar
    Thank you, that's very useful!

practical experience, FTW Pisco Sour's Avatar
    Has anybody had recent experience with this press? I'm considering submitting to them in due course.As far as I know they are a small press with book store distribution in Scotland--I've seen one of their books in my local Waterstones.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    A friend of mine who lives in Scotland has a book coming out with them and is quite happy with them. I don't have any specific information, however.

practical experience, FTW Pisco Sour's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tsrosenberg View Post
    A friend of mine who lives in Scotland has a book coming out with them and is quite happy with them. I don't have any specific information, however.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.