• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Barrie James Literary Agency / New Authors Showcase / BJ E-books Publishing

Bushdoctor

Registered
Reaction score
This is another one to steer well clear of. Not recommended on P & E. Charges fees. No sales what-so-ever. They even mention one of their authors was published by PA.

http://www.newauthors.org.uk/

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't realise until now that you can tell clueless agents just by their website address. :tongue

Bushdoctor

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah but check out how many people have fallen for it and are listed on the site.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah but check out how many people have fallen for it and are listed on the site.

I know - it's sad. :( I dived into one and found a typo in the first line and a ton of exposition in the first paragraph. Not surprised that they couldn't find a publisher and resorted to YADS (yet another display site) bundled with a fee-charging agent.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Has added BJ E-books Publishing to his services. From the "Application" form:
Before you fill in the following form, please remember that if your work is accepted we make a charge of £35.00 for six months display or £50.00 for twelve.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
By mid-'11, dropped pretense of agenting (via Wayback, reformatted for legibility):
Hello and thank you for your recent enquiry.

New Authors Showcase was created in 1997 when we decided to open a web site for new unpublished writers to advertise their work. The site has proved to have been very popular.

After much consideration we have decided to cease the services of one part of our agency.

We will no longer represent writers in the traditional way ie. reading submissions and where applicable forwarding work to suitable publishers.

We believe that e-publishing will continue to gain in popularity and to this end we are concentrating our resources in the development of this form of media.

Please note, we are not a charity, we are a business and make charges for our services, however, our fees are almost certainly the best you will find for the standard of service offered.

£35.00. Six months display of a 1500 words sample of your work.
£50.00. Twelve months display of a 1500 words sample of your work.
£100.00. Full on-line publication of your entire story which includes a book cover design.

Should you decide to publish your work with us then please go to 'Submit etc.' on our home page.

FAQ. Why should I publish with you when it is so easy to publish my own work to the web?
Answer. That is an easy one. There are thousands, probably millions of well-designed and interesting websites languishing in lonely isolation and being very little visited. Our web site is visited by hundreds of viewers each week and this may be confirmed by the comments on our feedback page. Remember, we have been around since 1997.
on any subsequent. [sic]

As we receive no money for any subsequent publication or broadcast of your work and as you are free to add your contact details to your web page and deal with enquiries yourself you are not tied to a contract with us. Before you sign any contract with publishers or agents read their small print very carefully and seek the services of a solicitor.
Refiling under YADS.