Moving to a new agency

ryewhiskeyjoe

Registered
Reaction score
My current literary agent did not successfully sell my first manuscript. She's willing to look at my next, but I'm thinking I'd like to move on (particularly to find a NY-based agent). What is the etiquette for searching for a new agent? Do I need to include in my new query letter anything about my old agent? Is a new agent going to want to know I've been represented in the past?

Thanks for any help and advice...

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
My agent didn't sell my manuscript either, but that doesn't mean the agent is a failure. You need to sit down and take an honest look at the situation. What publishers did she submit to? Did you get any feedback from the editors? And here's the dreaded one that's the hardest to think about. Was your novel just not quite good enough?

My novel went to some of the top editors in the genre. (How do I know? She told me who she submitted to and then I researched the hell out of them.) All came up with relatively consistent responses. Much as I don't like to admit it, the editors are right. My manuscript is just not quite up to publishing.

But my agent believes in me. And it sounds like your agent believes in you. I also believe in my agent. It sounds like you don't believe in your agent. Rather than hunting for a new agent, you might want to write your next book and make it so strong there's no way an editor can turn it down. That's what I'm doing.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

ryewhiskeyjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Hard decision ahead

Thank you to both for your replies.

Jim--These are tough questions that I've been asking myself. She submitted to all the major NY houses and several medium sized ones. Feedback was all positive, though almost unanimously editors said they didn't know how to market the book. It's a crime novel, but with quirky fabulist twists. My next novel is more straightforward, but that isn't the project I'm most concerned about. I have a graphic novel (which my agent typically usually represent). I'm working with a well-known and established artist. I feel this has more potential than my prose and my feeling is I need to get this into the hands of an agent with experience with this genre.

Been reading online about switching agents (the links in my other reply et al.) I'm still really up in the air. I'm thinking an honest phone conversation with my current agent will help...

RWJ

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It is always good to talk to your agent about such concerns. They are supposed to be on your side. If they keep avoiding having that talk then that's a different story.
Kristin Nelson has subsequently blogged about books that would have got picked up 2 years ago now getting turned down, albeit with great feedback. Sounds like yours could be an example of this.

ryewhiskeyjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Kristin Nelson has subsequently blogged about books that would have got picked up 2 years ago now getting turned down, albeit with great feedback. Sounds like yours could be an example of this.

This is almost verbatim what my agent said after we heard from the last of the major publishers. In fact, one really wanted it but the marketing aspect kept him from committing. It's a sad, sad, sad, sad world right now in publishing. We can only wish for editors with open arms and open wallets...

Scribly

I a reel good riter.. i sware.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious, ryewhiskeyjoe: what were the indicators that had you thinking about looking for a new Agent? Did you start to feel that perhaps focus had shifted away from your project? Your emails went unanswered?

ryewhiskeyjoe

Registered
Reaction score
No, none of that really. I began to suspect over the summer that possible failing health was pushing my agent to take unexpected time off. Months of expected silence. The big factor that pushed me to consider it is that my newest project is not a genre my agent typically deals with. I was beginning to wonder if a younger NY agent is the way to go. Ultimately (after a lengthy and honest phone conversation today) I've decided to stay put, for now...