• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Pill Hill Press

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
As one of their former authors, I was included in a mass email forward (last week, I believe) which clearly stated they were shutting down but gave no concrete reason why the action was required. It also implied the decision was made rather quickly and they were still trying to get in touch with all the authors whose contracts had not expired, or who had an upcoming release that will now, obviously, never happen.

After receiving this email I looked up my most recent antho publication from them (on Amazon) and the print edition is still showing as "in stock" with more on the way. (The Kindle version is also still available for purchase.) I'm not sure what this means if they have shut down their press. Perhaps they still have some floating around, but that antho was pubbed 2 years ago so it isn't likely. I'm also wondering how they are able to continue selling the Kindle version if they are technically no longer in business. But maybe it's all still "in process", I don't know.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
FYI: Amazon can take upwards of a week to remove titles from their site.

Thanks. :)

It makes no difference to me either way, though. I don't get royalties on their anthologies.

I am never happy to see a press go under, especially one that published my work, but I have to say this doesn't surprise me. After they accepted my last story with them, just over 2 years ago, they drastically reduced their author payment standard and drastically increased their book release schedule. At that time I decided it wasn't worth it to sub my work to them anymore, and didn't see them lasting much longer. The only thing that does surprise me here is that they didn't go under sooner.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
It's funny because I just noticed they were gone from the internet a few days ago. Every so often I look over at what they're up to and what anthos they are putting together. I always loved their themes.

Thanks. :)

It makes no difference to me either way, though. I don't get royalties on their anthologies.

I am never happy to see a press go under, especially one that published my work, but I have to say this doesn't surprise me. After they accepted my last story with them, just over 2 years ago, they drastically reduced their author payment standard and drastically increased their book release schedule. At that time I decided it wasn't worth it to sub my work to them anymore, and didn't see them lasting much longer. The only thing that does surprise me here is that they didn't go under sooner.
I also am sad to see someone who's published my stuff go under. :( Especially because I found them very easy to work with. I had noticed the pay dropping and, to be honest, that's what stopped me from subbing to them again, too. But I always thought I might again if the theme of the antho was JUST right.

Anyway, nice peeps there, I really hope they go on to do other projects or find homes as editors at other publications. I'd like to work with them again.

EricK

Registered
Reaction score
I emailed to ask why they closed, the owner/main editor, a woman named Jessy, had twins and decided to close down the press and be a mom. If anyone else is curious [email protected] still works.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I emailed to ask why they closed, the owner/main editor, a woman named Jessy, had twins and decided to close down the press and be a mom. If anyone else is curious [email protected] still works.
Aww, that's admirable. I can relate to that. Jessy was who I worked with.

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I'm sad to hear about this. They accepted one of my short stories for one of their anthologies and now it's not going to be published. Wish they had included me on their mass email. Oh well...