• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Unter Agency (Jennifer Unter)

Dawnny Baby

Getting back up again
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All! First off, I did a search and can't find anything here, and very little other info on the Web, in general. So here goes:

Does anyone have any experience working with either The Unter Agency (which, as far as I am able to tell, has been around since 2007), or with Jennifer Unter, who was previously with RLR (and who still shows up as being with them, when I Google her name)?

Thanks for any info; I'm thinking of querying her.

Dawnny Baby

Getting back up again
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I took a chance a few days ago and queried Jennifer. A few HOURS later she requested my partial! :)

I'm cautiously optimistic, though. You see, my former agent recommended that I give her a try, so it's possible that Jennifer is just being nice and polite, out of respect to her friendship with my former agent. We'll see if she likes my partial and wants the full....

dotsoec1

Registered
Reaction score
I queried on 10/29, and received a request for a partial on 11/9. Good luck, Dawnny! Reading her interview, she sounds very well connected!

Dawnny Baby

Getting back up again
Registered
Reaction score
I queried on 10/29, and received a request for a partial on 11/9. Good luck, Dawnny! Reading her interview, she sounds very well connected!
Yes, she is! She used to be with RLR--one of their higher-ups, I think. Thanks, dotsoec, and good luck to you, too! :)

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
Sent equery 11/12 and got a request for 50 pages 11/13. Does anyone happen to know her general response times on submissions? And congrats Dawnny and Dotsoec1! Good luck!

Dawnny Baby

Getting back up again
Registered
Reaction score
Sent equery 11/12 and got a request for 50 pages 11/13. Does anyone happen to know her general response times on submissions? And congrats Dawnny and Dotsoec1! Good luck!
Thanks, bclement! Sorry, I don't know what her times are like...?

dotsoec1

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, bclement! Good luck to you as well! I don't know her timeframes either. BTW--Your stats look really good! 12 partials and 5 fulls! I believe you're well on your way to signing with an agent!

Dawnny Baby

Getting back up again
Registered
Reaction score
Got a short, clean e-rejection from Jennifer today.
Sorry to hear that, Greg. Keep trying!

I haven't heard anything back on my partial, so maybe she didn't like it, either. (Though it's only been 12 days--too early to nudge. Wait-wait-wait. Maybe I should go work on my WIP...?)

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Greg. Keep trying!

I haven't heard anything back on my partial, so maybe she didn't like it, either. (Though it's only been 12 days--too early to nudge. Wait-wait-wait. Maybe I should go work on my WIP...?)

Thanks, I replied to her rejection email, thanking her for the prompt response, and asking if she were open to another query from me. I got a quick response-- maybe a couple hours later-- saying she was, so I zapped her another query, this one for a novel in a different genre.

dotsoec1

Registered
Reaction score
That's the spirit! Persistence is the key! Good luck! I'm still waiting myself.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
Greg, I thought you were mystery/noir...?

BTW, have you tried the Spectrum Literary Agency? (http://www.spectrumliteraryagency.com/) They're all about the sci-fi. (You probably already knew that, though, huh?)
'
Dawn,

I have completed novels in both genres. I'm trying, therefore, to find an agency that handles both, but that's proving to be a bit of a trick.

Thanks for the tip.

Greg

yeswecan

Registered
Reaction score
MAASS

Have you tried Donald Maass? Good luck--he's great @ both mystery & sci-fi, but busy!

ShrinkTalk.Net

Registered
Reaction score
Unter Agency

I sent her a query on 11/22/09, and she requested my proposal the next day. I hadn't heard from her by 1/5/10, and had obtained representation from another agency, so I emailed her to thank her for her time. She sent me a polite email response saying thank you and wishing me the best. She struck me as very polite and professional although I have no idea what her turn-around time is.

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
Last edited:

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
UPPERDATE:

Had a really nice correspondence with Ms. Unter this morning. She's been inundated with a crap pile of queries as a result of the blog post, so she's putting the brakes on accepting any more queries for a couple of months.

Dawnny Baby

Getting back up again
Registered
Reaction score
Update

So a few days ago I nudged Jennifer on my partial. She hadn't gotten to it yet, but proceeded to do so, and I got an R from her a day or two later. She was very personable about it, though, with nice comments about what she liked/didn't like, and though I'm bummed, I'd still put her in the "class act" column of agents. Anyone would be lucky to get her.

Good luck to the rest of you who are still waiting! :)

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
So no queries for two months, huh? Man this business can be brutal for everyone. Anyway naturally someone will let us know once she's reopened :)