Unicorns and Pegasi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevvy

Spec Fic Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Unisus! Pegacorn? Any combination sounds kinda ridiculous, but I think that if it has a horn you call it a unicorn no matter what, or a winged unicorn if there is more than one kind in your setting (one with and one without wings). At least, that's how I've seen it done elsewhere.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Pegapotamus.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah combining the names is a bit meh :S

I'm still not sure if these will feature in my novel. I was also considering a winged white tiger :)

You could make it a winged white liger, bred for it's skills in magic. ;)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
There is a name. It's something like alicorn. I will look it up.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so alicorn appears to be the name of the unicorn's horn. But also has been applied to winged unicorn in some fiction.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
I would call it "too cutesy to live." In Latin.

But seriously, folks...
"Unicorn" is the name of a type of creature. "Pegasus" is the proper name of a particular beast. Your best bet would be to create a Latin term for "flying one-horn."

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Why do people think unicorns are cute? Hardly cute when that 20" long horn explodes out of someone's chest in a spray of blood and gore. ...Or are my killer unicorns rare?
Well, there's a new book out about killer unicorns in the YA section: Rampant.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Why do people think unicorns are cute? Hardly cute when that 20" long horn explodes out of someone's chest in a spray of blood and gore. ...Or are my killer unicorns rare?

Not "cute." "Cutesy." Like dolphins under rainbows on a poster in your little sister's room, next to the photo of the New Kids on the Block.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score

I just remember the cover of "The Last Battle" in my set of the Chronicles of Narnia. A very pretty unicorn, with its horn dripping blood...

Yeah, I think they're all killers, too. Although that doesn't mean they can't frolic under rainbows in their spare time, or rinse the blood from their horns in showers of Liquid Sparkles & Happiness.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
You would think the horn is there because unicorns evolved a way to defend themselves (they're not cowards who'll run away :tongue).

Could call them 'wings of death'.

Rebekah7

Unofficial Jester
Registered
Reaction score
How about a unicorn that has skeletal bat wings, venomous fangs and a serrated horn that it uses to disembowel virgins? It's would smell of death and waste and it would have organs embedded in the long mats of its blood stained fur? - There...I think that takes care of the "cutesy" quotient.

You should call them Kannuz's. That's a mixture of the Turkish words for wing and horn. At least I think it is. Google may have lied.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Unicorn power!

pbf.jpg

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Originally, unicorns were vicious and the only thing that could tame them, even momentarily, was a virginal (ie: pure) girl. Her purety would captivate the evil in the beast and allow the hunters to slay it and harvest the horn, which was believed to have very strong medicial qualities.

So the legend goes, of course.

Unicorns looked more like goats than horses, originally, with a beard, slittled pupils in their eyes and a long tail with little tufts of hair sticking out at odd places as well as the at the end. Somewhere along the line, they got translated into horses (probably about the same time angels all became beautiful women, probably) with horns instead of the fearsome creature it used to be.

Irishgirl

Registered
Reaction score
"Unicorn" is the name of a type of creature. "Pegasus" is the proper name of a particular beast. Your best bet would be to create a Latin term for "flying one-horn."

Thank you! Yes, Pegasus was supposedly the last one. I suppose you could say he mated with a unicorn and the resulting creature is what you have and no one really knows what to call it. :D But, I would call it a winged unicorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.