Agency process

stargurl128

Stargirl128
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so let's say I'm lucky enough to have a agent really like my manusricpt. Then what? What do you have to do, what does the agent do, what kind of contracts do you sign? What happens? I have tried researching this but so far I have just found some really complicated stuff. What goes on with your writing after you get signed? What kind of stuff do you have to sign and what exactly happens with your book?

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
It is complicated stuff but only if your book is sold. My agency was fairly phlegmatic about me signing anything until my project was under submission (and it's William Morris probably the largest talent agency around)
After your book sells you are helped quite a bit by your agent as far as contracts...I talked with authors at my level AFTER my book sold. My agent gave me names and had some of her authors talk to me on the phone to answer questions...The real complexity IMHO is the foreign rights deals...

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
When I was offered representation there was a contract to sign and then a face to face meeting (which was more about getting to know one another a little better). It's taken about a month and we are now working on edits so that my book can go on submission in the next couple of weeks. Beyond that...I really don't know.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Some agents will ask you to sign an agency agreement right away. Some agents will wait.

Some agents will work with you on manuscript revisions before editorial submissions. Some will submit as-is.

Some agents will keep you in the process on submissions every step of the way, sending you all rejections and comments as they come in, etc... Some agents will give brief updates, some won't send you rejections at all unless you ask.

Your agent's job is to know which editors are the best fit for your project. They will put together the submission packet, they'll pitch it to editors, they'll field rejections, and hopefully, they'll also field and negotiate offers. They'll negotiate the contract, advise you on the rights you want to try and keep and the ones you want to sign over. They will explain contract clauses that you don't understand. They are your advocate in this process.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I think out of all the business relationships you will enter into in this business the agent/author one is the most straightforward. I had a contract to sign which stipulated amoungst other things what percentage they took of my advances as well as how to end the relationship should the need arise on either side. Some agents however don't even have contracts, work more off of a handshake method which is perfectly acceptable in the industry.

Often what happens is an agent will read your MS, like it, and offer editing suggestions. Usually this is important two fold, one to help make the MS as strong as possible before sending it out and two to see if you as an author are capable of making editorial changes, and to see how easy you are to work with. Often there can be several months of such back and forth before an offer is made. Once an offer is made, sometimes the agent and author meet in person or they chat over the phone to discuss plans - where they each see the author's career going.

Then possibly a contract is signed (or not). And then, once the MS is perfect, the agent takes over and sends off your work to publishers. Sometimes they might request your help in creating an interesting pitch, or writing up a bio for them. Again it all depends. They then negotiate all contracts for you, and attempt to explain said contracts to you in turn. When you get paid, the publisher pays the agent, who then takes her cut and then passes it onto you.

It's interesting to be sure to know what will be, but have no fear that when the time comes you will be walked through it in a way that you won't feel overwhelmed.