Northwest Airlines pilots miss airport

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Indeed these guys are getting a fair amount. Your typical pilot in early mid-career today gets about as much as an entry level civil servant for a job with horrendous hours and stresses.

10 years is considered mid-career, and it lands in the six figures in the majors. Where are you getting your information?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
For a start the co-pilot who crashed in the icing incident was getting $17,000. An aquaintance of mine has been a pilot for about 10 years and gets $30,000 -- half the starting pay for a teacher.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Try this on for size: Pilot salary scales for American Airlines (a comparable carrier in most ways to Northwest, for which data were not available):

http://www.willflyforfood.com/airline-pilot-salary/87/American-Airlines.html

The airline in the Buffalo ice crash was a cut-rate cheapskate outfit, and their pilot compensation practices quite probably contributed to the crash by forcing pilots to log too many hours.

Pilots at major commercial airlines make a hell of a lot more money than your average mid-career civil servant can ever hope to.

caw

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
For a start the co-pilot who crashed in the icing incident was getting $17,000. An aquaintance of mine has been a pilot for about 10 years and gets $30,000 -- half the starting pay for a teacher.

Where do starting teachers get paid that? They certainly don't here.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, Colgan Air is not one of the majors. That's a commuter line, also known as a regional carrier. Do you know the difference between NWA and Colgan Air or American Airlines and American Eagle?

These guys were senior flight members serving on a national carrier, on a published cardinal route--not low-hour crew in a regional carrier trying to build up enough hours to make the transition.

If you acquaintance has ten years of service and he's still only making 30K, ask him if he (or she) has an ATP, or just a commercial ticket. In ten years with jets, he could make the move from a regional carrier to a fractional outfit like NetJets and fly Gulfstreams or BBJs for six figures. This is presuming he or she has over 5,000 hours time.

Don't mean to be snooty, but I think your information is suspect.

Last edited: