I'm doing research for an article on author mills...

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Hi, everyone,

I'm doing research for an article on author mills (such as PublishAmerica--for a more detailed explanation of the term "author mill", see this post at Writer Beware's blog), and I want to talk about authors' actual experiences with these kinds of publishers.

I'm interested in hearing not just from authors who had problems with an author mill, or who felt their expectations weren't met, but from authors who chose an author mill specifically for what they felt it could do for them, and were happy with the result.

If you'd like to help, please post a message here, or contact me at [email protected]. (You'll get an immediate reply from my autoresponder, because I'm out of town at the moment, but I'll contact you early next week on my return.) In accordance with Writer Beware's policies, all information you share with me via email will be held in confidence, and won't be quoted unless you give me permission.

Thanks so much!

- Victoria

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I'm still looking to hear from authors who've had experience with PA or any other author mill (this is not a PA article, by the way)...I'd also love to hear from agents or editors who'd be willing to share their opinion of the author mill business model and the hazards it poses for writers.

PM me, or contact me at [email protected].

Thanks!

- Victoria

wanda45451964

Registered
Reaction score
I have, and its awful, no pay. no royalty checks, or at least small one. I have learned to say nothing at all about that book to anyone because it doesnt help you it just hurts. I am just stuck with them for 7 years and I am guessing that means 7 years worth of ploys to get to me to buy my own book and stick in the closet. But I don't buy them and neither does anyone else here.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Victoria, I've tweeted a link to this appeal but let me know if there's anything else you think I could do--are you interested in hearing from UK publishers, etc?