AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.


 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 194

Thread: The MacAllister is a tyrant and Hapisofi was mean to me thread

  1. #76
    Around and About SuperModerator Birol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    That's a good question right now.
    Posts
    14,755
    Fine. You want me to read your about page. I will read it, but when I get back, you will engage me and respond to my questions with more than 'Did you read my About Page?' or 'Read my About Page.'

    Just remember, Mr. Ferguson, I am reading your About Page at your insistence.

  2. #77
    banned as an incurable tosspot
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Izz View Post
    Y'know, Mat, in that last thread of yours you asked me to look back through all your posts and find where you'd backtracked or changed your tune. So i did. I had a whole long post written up with links to previous posts of yours where you'd said something and then posts further on down the track where you'd changed your tune (all from the first half of the thread, mind you), as well as a bit of running commentary.

    Then RT locked the thread and i couldn't post. Just as well, i thought, there's really no point me doing this, it'll just look like a slap. Now i wish i had.

    Here's an interesting thing. The first use of liar in that thread (without a shred of evidence to back it up, as well), was made by you. Post 28, in point of fact. And you get upset when you're called on it. And when someone says they think you're a liar also, you get all upset and starting yelling 'libel.' How interesting.

    In Post 106 you state that you don't mind a bit of online fire from time to time and that you always stand by what you say. Obviously you only like the fire when you're the one firing. Not so happy when the fire's directed back at you, are you?

    Actually, what the hell? Why let a perfectly good post go to waste? Especially when you're so adamant you've never changed a word you've said (and i don't even touch on the whole would've/would of thing).



    Seriously, what are you hoping to achieve here, Mat? By starting a childish thread like this, you've lost any credibility you might've had. Why couldn't you just listen to people who said 'go away for 6 months to a year, make some sales and come back and discuss this further?'
    How about you quit making summaries that cut and paste and remove all context and meaning? This is why people like Mac and others start saying bullshit to me about lying, misrepresentation and so on. Simply because someone else says it.

    No one is going to go back and read through that entire thread now. It's 500+ posts. So now it becomes cherry-picking and summaries and then summaries of summaries.

    And no one dares write back to people like HapiSofi. I've got a challenge for you. HapiSofi stated that I had not worked for a trade publisher. This is not true. I worked for Pearson.

    Why don't you highlight where she said it and then write to her asking how she made such a factual error?

  3. #78
    It is that kind of equivocation that leads to someone three posts later saying "YOU CHANGED YOUR PAGE AND YOU LIED ABOUT IT!"

    Then a couple of posts later it is now an established FACT.

    Then a couple of days later the Editor in Chief launches a tirade where she calls me a lying sack of shit without the slightest bit of evidence.
    You're not giving your asshatery behavior enough credit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchestra View Post
    But seriously, never ask permission to write something. Don't be a wimp.

  4. #79
    Doing the Space Operatic Izz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    6,623
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewferguson View Post
    How about you quit making summaries that cut and paste and remove all context and meaning? This is why people like Mac and others start saying bullshit to me about lying, misrepresentation and so on. Simply because someone else says it.

    No one is going to go back and read through that entire thread now. It's 500+ posts. So now it becomes cherry-picking and summaries and then summaries of summaries.

    And no one dares write back to people like HapiSofi. I've got a challenge for you. HapiSofi stated that I had not worked for a trade publisher. This is not true. I worked for Pearson.

    Why don't you highlight where she said it and then write to her asking how she made such a factual error?
    You asked me to go back and find where you'd backtracked, if at all. So i did. *You* asked.

    And if you hadn't started this ridiculous rant that post wouldn't have seen the light of day.

    If you assume that people won't click on links provided to see that what i'm quoting is correct, then you're sadly misinformed and giving little credit to those you would seek to represent. All the links i posted (bar one) are in the first half of the thread, too. That makes it even easier for people to go have a read of the surrounding posts.

    The context has not been removed. It's right there and plain to see. If you don't like what that context says, then that's your problem, not mine.

    And you're still employing diversionary tactics, Mat.

  5. #80
    Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,093
    Oh Mat, if I were trying to put something over on you, I'd start by looking at you with all the limpid honesty of your favorite old childhood dog, and say "Yes, Mat, I can tell you're being honest. You're a good guy."
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

  6. #81
    Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    An meodoheall monig dreama full
    Posts
    25,525
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewferguson View Post
    So that was back in 2003. A lot has changed since then, including me working and supporting myself entirely with freelance writing and editing since the end of 2005.
    Technical Editor. Barrie Sosinsky. MacWorld Guide to Microsoft Works 3. San Mateo, CA: IDG Books, 1992.

    http://www.amazon.com/Macworld-Guide...6182897&sr=8-1

    If you check Google books, with "Barrie A. Sosinksy" and Spangenberg, you'll find the Google page.

    I'm just the Technical Editor, by the way; not even the editor; my name is listed inside with the book designer, and production editors, etc.

    But in 2003, I worked on this books as Technical Editor:

    Bove, Tony and Cheryl Rhodes. iLife All-in-One Desk Reference For Dummies. John Wiley and Sons, 2003.

    It was pretty easy to find them. I could have just searched for my name in Amazon, even. And again, I'm not the primary editor or the author.

    Heck, a book I worked on in 1991 even comes up on Amazon.

    So yeah, this "2003 was a long time ago?"

    Cough.

    AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

  7. #82
    Mah tale iz draggin. CatSlave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Paradise Found: Bradenton, FL
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by escritora View Post
    You're not giving your asshatery behavior enough credit.
    Amen.

    How PA treats its authors: Oh, stop the whining and contact support@publishamerica.com like everyone else.

    PA authors CAN fight back. File a complaint with your credit card company.

    Have a question? Who can you trust? Absolute Write, Writer Beware and Preditors & Editors

  8. #83
    banned as an incurable tosspot
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by som1luvsmi View Post
    Um...Mr. Ferguson....it's been pointed out that Mac didn't lock the thread, Mr. MacDonald did, and Birol moved it. If you're going to rant about being misrepresented, it would be good to get that straight.
    Mac was listed as the final person on the thread (before James made another comment) before it was locked. And she just wrote that the post deletion was hers.

    Quote Originally Posted by som1luvsmi View Post
    The fact that you lit into escritora when she was trying to be polite and say that your About page now read smoother
    It can't read smoother if I didn't change it. That was what it was about - addressing the idea that I changed it.

    Quote Originally Posted by som1luvsmi View Post
    If you would have clearly stated those companies for which you had done work and the titles you worked on and tried to be an adult about this instead of playing the 'too little, too late' card, I think it might have gone a long way in showing the people on this board your sincerity and your ability to get along maturely, even with those who disagree with you.
    Did you read the thread before on me? It was up in high 400 to low 500 posts before people who had been flaming on previously suddenly decided to pretend to be calm little souls simply seeking information on me. No one bothered to ask me any of those questions at the start. It was too little too late. I thought the background check was you know, about background checks.

    Quote Originally Posted by som1luvsmi View Post
    But all I've seen you do is be on the defensive instead of offering concrete evidence to the contrary.
    What concrete evidence would you like to see? What concrete evidence would satisfy you? Further to that - what concrete evidence do you think actually exists?

    If you Google "adapted by Mathew Ferguson" or "written by Mathew Ferguson" then you'll find about twenty titles or so where the information is connected with the book. That is a tiny amount of the projects I did at Funtastic. At one stage there I had my name down next to about 130 simultaneous books going through.

    There is a non-fiction title called A Golfer's View for which I was the editor. The only proof? I'm thanked in the acknowledgments.

    People on here are asking for proof of a level that no person would ever be able to provide. Prove that I worked at Pearson. How? Get a letter from HR?

    Provide concrete evidence that you negotiated a contract. How? I'm sorry but I don't keep copies of confidential documents. I can talk about contract clauses if you want to see if I know what I'm talking about.

    But no one bothered with any of that.

    Quote Originally Posted by som1luvsmi View Post
    And if you find that you were in the wrong about something, humbly say so and apologize and do what you can to make it right.
    I'm very open to being convinced. I just have this little thing about evidence. Evidence is what can convince me. If someone says that agents work horrendous hours then, silly me, I don't automatically believe it to be true. There are a lot of people who talk up how hard they work. My evidence on agents was gained through being their direct target for nearly two years and then subsequent dealings.

  9. #84
    banned as an incurable tosspot
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by HapiSofi View Post
    Oh Mat, if I were trying to put something over on you, I'd start by looking at you with all the limpid honesty of your favorite old childhood dog, and say "Yes, Mat, I can tell you're being honest. You're a good guy."
    HapiSofi who doesn't respond to direct questions that show she is wrong.

    How many times can I ask you the same thing before you'll actually answer it?

    You did state I hadn't worked at a trade publisher and you were wrong. Completely wrong! Utterly wrong!

    Why don't you just admit it?

  10. #85
    Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    An meodoheall monig dreama full
    Posts
    25,525
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewferguson View Post
    How about you quit making summaries that cut and paste and remove all context and meaning? This is why people like Mac and others start saying bullshit to me about lying, misrepresentation and so on. Simply because someone else says it.
    Dude, get a grip. Those are called hypertext links. They are the digital equivalent of a full citation in context footnote. They've been around since 1991.

    Quote Originally Posted by mathewferguson View Post
    No one is going to go back and read through that entire thread now. It's 500+ posts. So now it becomes cherry-picking and summaries and then summaries of summaries.
    Yeah, I can see you're qualified to advise about SEO.

    Quote Originally Posted by mathewferguson View Post
    And no one dares write back to people like HapiSofi. I've got a challenge for you. HapiSofi stated that I had not worked for a trade publisher. This is not true. I worked for Pearson.
    Oh please, I've argued with HapiSofi. I argue with Mac all the time. (I was right, all the time, too. Well. Maybe not.)

    Seriously, dude you need to walk away from the computer. I think the packager job was a good idea. I also think you're your own worst enemy.

    Do you realize how many Web sites and forums you've performed on? Do you realize that the same issues keep coming up, over an over?

    If you weren't clearly thinking you were above yourself, I'd suggest looking into the nifty two year editing program at Melbourne university--it's a decent program, or even the APA Internships REP program, which I've heard really good things about.

    AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

  11. #86
    Reads more than she writes. AW Moderator Smish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in the Bouncy Castle
    Posts
    8,630
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewferguson View Post

    And no one dares write back to people like HapiSofi. I've got a challenge for you. HapiSofi stated that I had not worked for a trade publisher. This is not true. I worked for Pearson.

    Why don't you highlight where she said it and then write to her asking how she made such a factual error?
    Oh, come on, Mat. Seriously. Stop asking us to cite HapiSofi's comments to you. HapiSofi is not on AW soliciting clients. You are. You are the focus of the Mathew Ferguson Bewares and Backgrounds thread. Not HapiSofi.

    The only thing anyone wanted to know was a) are you qualified to act as an agent for authors?

    You have no clients or sales, few contacts, no actual agenting experience, and no agency backing you. So, what is it, exactly, that qualifies you to serve as an agent? Why should an author sign with you, instead of just acting on her own behalf?

    That is the entire purpose of the Bewares and Backgrounds section of AW.
    Revision is where you earn your money - and if you haven't made any money yet, revision is where you pay your dues. Sara Zarr

  12. #87
    banned as an incurable tosspot
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
    Technical Editor. Barrie Sosinsky. MacWorld Guide to Microsoft Works 3. San Mateo, CA: IDG Books, 1992.

    http://www.amazon.com/Macworld-Guide...6182897&sr=8-1

    If you check Google books, with "Barrie A. Sosinksy" and Spangenberg, you'll find the Google page.

    I'm just the Technical Editor, by the way; not even the editor; my name is listed inside with the book designer, and production editors, etc.

    But in 2003, I worked on this books as Technical Editor:

    Bove, Tony and Cheryl Rhodes. iLife All-in-One Desk Reference For Dummies. John Wiley and Sons, 2003.

    It was pretty easy to find them. I could have just searched for my name in Amazon, even. And again, I'm not the primary editor or the author.

    Heck, a book I worked on in 1991 even comes up on Amazon.

    So yeah, this "2003 was a long time ago?"

    Cough.
    Oh, you are trying so very hard to get attention aren't you? I love how you took a quote from an answer on why I did writing for free back in 2003 for Penguin and someone twisted it into ... what? Something about there not being links to books I've been involved with because "2003 was a long time ago?"

    How full of shit do you want to be?

    How about we put the quote in within context?

    *
    So that was back in 2003. A lot has changed since then, including me working and supporting myself entirely with freelance writing and editing since the end of 2005.

    Now do you understand why I worked for free back then? And do you understand it has absolutely nothing to do with my ability to make a paying deal today?
    *

    Your response now is nonsensical. Hmm ... Mat writes why he wrote for free back in 2003 and this other person responds with links to titles they have worked on for some reason not connected with working for free.

    Nice try though.

  13. #88
    Around and About SuperModerator Birol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    That's a good question right now.
    Posts
    14,755
    Mathew made his first professional sale in 2003, selling himself as a writer to Penguin to adapt the much-beloved Disney film Pinocchio to a 32-page storybook.

    By stating that you “[sold yourself] as a writer,” it implies that you were not really a writer, but were merely pretending to be one to get a job for which you were not otherwise qualified. This leads to some questions 1) what was your profession before you landed this job, 2) do you habitually misrepresent yourself, 3) if you misrepresented yourself then, how can a writer seeking an agent be assured you are not misrepresenting yourself as an agent now, 4) as an agent, are you going to misrepresent the writers in your stable to editors and publishers?
    For this sale he earned a whopping $0 and a promise of future paying work. He followed this up with two further jobs for Penguin earning himself $0 and more promises of future paying work.

    As recently as 2003, then you did not have enough experience or industry information to be able to negotiate a paying contract for yourself? As a writer, how can I expect you to be able to do better for me?
    Sensing that selling writing for nothing was not a fiscally advantageous strategy, Mathew took a job at Funtastic Publishing as a writer and editor.

    Okay, less than six years ago, you switch from giving away your work to working for pay. Congratulations. Still, the flippant “sensing that selling writing for nothing was not a fiscally advantageous strategy” does little to reassure writers that you are a skilled contract negotiator.
    In his time there he wrote and edited hundreds of licensed titles, including children's activity books, storybooks, joke books and far too many titles involving princesses. He also edited non-fiction titles, copy-edited a recipe-travel book, acquired a children's fiction series and other books,

    Some specific titles would be nice. What publishers have you worked with? Which authors? What do you mean by “acquired a children’s fiction series”? From whom? For which publisher? Did you represent the author(s) and negotiate their contract?
    This rather generic list tells me nothing, other than you can string lists together.
    bought in work from overseas publishers, herded authors, illustrators and licensors,

    Again, if you want to have the authority you’re claiming and if you want me to respect that authority, I need names and titles. Which publishers? Which authors and illustrators?
    wrote marketing and sales material,

    What type of marking and sales material? Fliers? Ad copy? White papers? Blurbs? For which companies?
    negotiated contracts, dealt with royalty payments, constructed sales plans

    Now this is interesting. You negotiated contracts? With which publishers for which authors? What do you mean by “dealt with royalty payments”?
    See, you probably think you’ve given specifics, but you really haven’t. Up to this point, it’s been vague laundry lists which really don’t establish you as anything other than a freelancer. It certainly doesn’t provide any assurances that you have the industry connections to be an agent or have the knowledge to represent a writer in contract negotiations. Your laundry list of personal writing credits is rather general. You don’t have a niche at this point. You’re taking work where you can get it, which is obviously not consistent in any one industry. If I’m looking at you as an agent, I need to know who you’ve represented and where you’ve sold their work. Who are your inside contacts?
    and generally worked out how to make as much money as possible.

    Now this is very worrisome, because, oftentimes, people who want to be agents who don’t have the industry qualifications and who are only interested in making money end up charging writers. While they may have started with the best intentions, they shift from being a bad idea for writers, which is where you seem to be now, to being a scammer.
    In addition to this, he also managed the Disney publishing licence for Funtastic, focussing on maximum financial return for Disney titles.

    Between 2003 and 2005, in the span of two short years, you claim you went from working for $0 to working to managing for Disney? This is quite the leap. The type of alleged success that makes industry news. And, yet, I have never heard of you and, again, you fail to list specifics. No titles. Why is that?
    At the end of 2005, Mathew took the plunge into freelance writing and editing.

    Wait. You said you were editing before. Now, in 2005, you’re just starting to freelance? Which is it?
    Over the next three years he wrote for the Jewish News, Ibis Publishing, proofread large-print books and wrote submission reviews for Australian Scholarly Press, amongst other work.

    You’re claiming proofreading as a qualification for being an agent? Really? And writing submission reviews? Seriously? You do understand this is entry level, don’t you?
    He also wrote and edited activity books which will be handed out to 300,000+ children on Qantas flights through 2008-2009 and books for British Airways which will be given to 1,000,000+ children.
    Unlike his first forays into freelance work, he was paid for this writing.
    Again. Congrats. Glad you got paid, but again, what does this mean for any writers you’d represent?
    During this freelancer period, Mathew gave out a lot of free agent advice to writers and illustrators all around the world.

    Oh. Whoa. Stop. And what sort of “agent advice” did you give? So far, you’ve listed nothing that qualifies you to give any sort of “agent” advice, whether it be free or otherwise.
    He edited some books for free, edited screenplays for free, gave contract advice for free, rewrote contract clauses for free

    And more with the free. If you can’t manage your own career any better than this, why should a writer trust you with theirs?
    and generally did agent work for free.

    Yeah. You really don’t know what an agent does, do you?
    In early 2009 Mathew decided it was time to start earning commission for the various agent services he was providing.
    In a stunning leap of ego, he named the company after himself and went into business.

    Yeah… “stunning leap of ego” pretty much describes it, and I’m not referring to the company name.

  14. #89
    Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly. SuperModerator Williebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    youtu.be/QRruBVFXjnY
    Posts
    20,561
    HapiSofi is not on AW soliciting clients. You were.
    Fixed that for you.


    Williebee -- helping this along to it's appropriate level of silliness
    This morning the sun came up.
    Just like yesterday, and tomorrow.
    Face the day, not the darkness.

  15. #90
    banned as an incurable tosspot
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Smish View Post
    Oh, come on, Mat. Seriously. Stop asking us to cite HapiSofi's comments to you. HapiSofi is not on AW soliciting clients. You are. You are the focus of the Mathew Ferguson Bewares and Backgrounds thread. Not HapiSofi.

    The only thing anyone wanted to know was a) are you qualified to act as an agent for authors?

    You have no clients or sales, few contacts, no actual agenting experience, and no agency backing you. So, what is it, exactly, that qualifies you to serve as an agent? Why should an author sign with you, instead of just acting on her own behalf?

    That is the entire purpose of the Bewares and Backgrounds section of AW.
    I'm asking you or anyone else on here to quote her error back to her to prove you're not a bunch of piss-weak lapdogs.

    Her statement factually wrong yet not a single person has said ... um ... HapiSofi ... he actually worked at Pearson so what you said wasn't correct. Can you explain?

    Why hasn't anyone said this?

    I actually expected that in a group of writers there would be more people well-versed in things like evidence, claims, etc.

  16. #91
    Around and About SuperModerator Birol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    That's a good question right now.
    Posts
    14,755
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewferguson View Post
    Did you read the thread before on me? It was up in high 400 to low 500 posts before people who had been flaming on previously suddenly decided to pretend to be calm little souls simply seeking information on me. No one bothered to ask me any of those questions at the start. It was too little too late. I thought the background check was you know, about background checks.
    Um... one of my very first posts on this topic was in this thread asking questions about your qualifications. You wouldn't answer. You would only tell me to read your About Page, which you admitted wasn't accurate, but you would not tell me your qualifications if I hadn't read your About Page. I

    I've read it now, at your insistence. Will you tell me your qualifications now?


    What concrete evidence would you like to see? What concrete evidence would satisfy you? Further to that - what concrete evidence do you think actually exists?
    Titles. Authors. Publisher names.


    People on here are asking for proof of a level that no person would ever be able to provide. Prove that I worked at Pearson. How? Get a letter from HR?
    Agents provide this type of proof all the time. So do editors. And writers. Why should we not expect the same of you?


    Quote Originally Posted by mathewferguson View Post
    HapiSofi who doesn't respond to direct questions that show she is wrong.

    How many times can I ask you the same thing before you'll actually answer it?
    I'm wondering the same thing. Why don't you respond to my direct questions? How many times do I have to ask before you'll answer?

  17. #92
    Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    An meodoheall monig dreama full
    Posts
    25,525
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewferguson View Post
    If a powerful person with authority in any field made the statement "This person is a lying sack of shit" without any evidence, it would have serious repercussions for their business. They have an incredibly high level of duty of care regarding what they say because they would be expected to have evidence.
    Mac is a "powerful person of authority?"

    Yeahhhhhh. I thought we already established she's Queen Titania.

    And what farkin' business? Do you have a sale? Do you have a client? Are you a member of any of the standard professional organizations (Association of Authors' Representatives-AAR, even)?

    AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

  18. #93
    Reads more than she writes. AW Moderator Smish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in the Bouncy Castle
    Posts
    8,630
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewferguson View Post
    I'm asking you or anyone else on here to quote her error back to her to prove you're not a bunch of piss-weak lapdogs.

    Her statement factually wrong yet not a single person has said ... um ... HapiSofi ... he actually worked at Pearson so what you said wasn't correct. Can you explain?

    Why hasn't anyone said this?

    I actually expected that in a group of writers there would be more people well-versed in things like evidence, claims, etc.
    I haven't insulted you, even once (in fact, I've been very, very nice to you, even though I fear you may have misled many new children's writers in the Writing for Kids section. Since I'm an active poster in that section, and care about my fellow writers, that has been bothering me for days. Still, I've never insulted you). Most of us haven't. We've asked legitimate questions. But now we're all "a bunch of piss-weak lapdogs". Very professional, Mr. Ferguson.

    So, you've worked at Pearson. Did HapiSofi say you didn't? I don't see how it matters much, anyway.

    Before I would recommend you to any writer, I need some evidence that you are competent to serve as an agent. As we've said, many times, you need to make sales. You need to have clients who are willing to say, "Yep, Mat's a wonderful agent. He did this, this, and this for me."

    At this point, I have absolutely no reason to believe you'll make a single sale, and even if you do, that you'll make enough sales to keep your doors open.
    Last edited by Smish; 10-22-2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: stray "a"
    Revision is where you earn your money - and if you haven't made any money yet, revision is where you pay your dues. Sara Zarr

  19. #94
    Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    An meodoheall monig dreama full
    Posts
    25,525
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewferguson View Post
    Oh, you are trying so very hard to get attention aren't you? I love how you took a quote from an answer on why I did writing for free back in 2003 for Penguin and someone twisted it into ... what? Something about there not being links to books I've been involved with because "2003 was a long time ago?"
    So you're saying you can't actually document your assertions.

    Yeah. I figured.

    AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

  20. #95
    I'm very open to being convinced. I just have this little thing about evidence. Evidence is what can convince me. If someone says that agents work horrendous hours then, silly me, I don't automatically believe it to be true. There are a lot of people who talk up how hard they work. My evidence on agents was gained through being their direct target for nearly two years and then subsequent dealings.

    What I find surprising is that you founded a one-person literary agency about six months ago and you aren't working horrendous hours. Everyone I know that started and runs their own business work horrendous hours, especially a one man show in the infancy of their start up.

    I remember when I started my business at the age of twenty-four. I barely slept for three years. My business plan was more ambitious than yours, but still. Being one's own marketing, web, receptionists, accountant, blah blah translates into horrendous hours. I'm thirty-six and I still work very long hours. It's the nature of running a business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchestra View Post
    But seriously, never ask permission to write something. Don't be a wimp.

  21. #96
    Around and About SuperModerator Birol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    That's a good question right now.
    Posts
    14,755
    What gets me is, he wants people to supply him with evidence, but he won't do us the courtesy of supplying evidence when asked.

  22. #97
    Reads more than she writes. AW Moderator Smish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in the Bouncy Castle
    Posts
    8,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Birol View Post
    What gets me is, he wants people to supply him with evidence, but he won't do us the courtesy of supplying evidence when asked.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Revision is where you earn your money - and if you haven't made any money yet, revision is where you pay your dues. Sara Zarr

  23. #98
    'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Out on a limb
    Posts
    21,482
    For those of you up late and still playing along at home:

    What HapiSofi actually said to Mathew - since he's consistently misrepresented her actual words, over and over and over again:
    All the way through this thread, I've been automatically tracking indications of your actual publishing experience. It's not just a matter of the stuff you get wrong. It's how you get it wrong, what stuff you don't know exists, and how you fill in the gaps. I wasn't kidding when I said that learning how publishing works is an immersive experience. It marks your language. Andy Zack knew my job title after one exchange of impersonal comments on an unrelated subject. If I'd never run into Old Hack before reading this thread, I'd still have known that s/he/it has an extensive industry background.

    As for you? I went from notes like

    * doesn't know a query letter from a cover letter
    * hasn't seen much slush
    * has a shaky notion of what book editors do, and a shakier notion of what agents do

    to

    * hasn't worked in the editorial department of a general-interest trade book publisher
    * hasn't worked in sales and distribution
    * has no in-depth acquisition experience in adult trade nonfiction
    * in adult trade publishing, period
    * hasn't done marketing or promotion for a mainstream publisher
    * is emphatically not a professional proofreader or copy editor.

    For a while there I was reduced to thinking you had worked in the Contracts & Licensing department at a fairly large house, which would explain having enough contact with agents to be irritated by them, but no notion of what they're actually good for. This theory took a dive when you referred to having overseen a book from start to finish, and having been the "project editor" on a book. Definitely not the Contracts Dept.
    (snipped for brevity, link provided for context.)

    I'll point out that, while Mat keeps telling us he worked for Pearson, he says he hated it, and that he learned nothing during his tenure there -- and he still hasn't told us in what capacity or for how long. A full-time employee, acquiring adult books? Copy-editing? In any of the editorial departments for adult trade publishing, either fiction or nonfiction? We still don't know.

    Matt wiggles a bit, here:
    It's not easy to prove that I did work at a trade publisher. The books I worked on were quite expensive and so they didn't give editors a copy. It was in 2007 and so the proof is in libraries around Australia. I'd have to find an imprint and scan it to show it has my name on there as project editor. There is no Google footprint for those books. I worked on a few series actually, a lot of non-fiction, some educational and some children's level stuff.
    Then, finally, some time later:
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewferguson View Post
    Pearson Publishing.

    Pearson Junior Atlas.
    Handwriting series - can't really remember what it is called. Six book series.
    Psychology textbooks for WA university market.

    There were other titles. It was a while ago.
    And after yet more very specific questions, he posts:
    Project editor was the official title. If you ever go to seek.com.au you can see the position is there almost continuously... make of that what you will.(snip)
    But, weirdly, he dodges the question of whether he'd acquired books for Pearson. Or if he was "project editor" on one, some, or all of the projects he so vaguely waves at.

    And indeed, Mathew himself says his Pearson experience is irrelevant:
    I didn't think it was important that I worked at Pearson because I acquired no new skills there. I didn't do one thing there that I already didn't know how to do.
    I'd actually submit, then, that what he says bears out exactly what HapiSofi speculated about his editorial experience, when she was making her list.
    Last edited by MacAllister; 10-22-2009 at 09:36 AM.

  24. #99
    Her statement factually wrong yet not a single person has said ... um ... HapiSofi ... he actually worked at Pearson so what you said wasn't correct. Can you explain?

    Why hasn't anyone said this?
    Provide the evidence (if you provided it somewhere let me know where to find it). We all know how fond you are of evidence so I'm sure you'll come through.

    That said, it is a reasonable assumption for someone to conclude you didn't have trade publishing experience because it's not included in your About page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchestra View Post
    But seriously, never ask permission to write something. Don't be a wimp.

  25. #100
    Your thoughts are not real... mario_c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    3,880
    Finished my first novel. Buy it here.
    I write scripts, too..
    . Got comics art?
    I proofread, cheap - for now - on Fiverr.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search