Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: James Fitzgerald Agency

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

James Fitzgerald Agency

Anyone dealt with them, successfully or otherwise?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

new author
    Quote Originally Posted by mike471 View Post
    Anyone dealt with them, successfully or otherwise?
    I e-mailed them 10/31/09 with a query and it came back undeliverable. Just as well. I didn't care for the list of data he wants before he even tells you if he is interested on a basic query.

Finally signed by an agency! NovelistInNYC's Avatar
    I just signed with them. It took seven months for him to get back to me after requesting the proposal, and I'd been working with Mitchell Waters at Curtis Brown except that he didn't offer me anything besides a verbal agreement, but James offered me an Agency Agreement in writing on the spot a few days ago and I took it. Very fair, usual stuff (fifteen percent of domestic, twenty percent of international, liability for international phone calls and FAXes, etc) and so far so good.
    All for the Best: How Godspell Transferred from Stage to Screen. ETA: November 2011 via Bear Manor Media.

Heroes don't always win egtalbot's Avatar
    In looking at his sales and web site, he seems unlikely represent commercial thrillers like the one I am submitting, but I did want to comment on his list of requirements. I take the opposite view of charlys (though I do understand the position). It's refreshing to see requirements that detailed and comprehensive. As part of a serious submission process, I should have all that information easily available and spending an extra hour to prepare a query shouldn't be a big deal if I am being methodical about identifying likely agents.
    want a free audio conspiracy thriller? New World Orders is available online at http//www.edwardgtalbot.com

Any news of these people? Their site isn't working.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Working fine now.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

How do you work this crazy thing?
    I dislike when an agent asks what I intend to do to sell my own book before they agree to take a chance on reading it. I have no degree in marketing or public relations. Furthermore, if I had the capability for organizing tours, booking media appearances, et al, why wouldn't I simply self-publish?

Queried on 2/5/14
    Full request - 2/7/14

Pretty fast response for a New York agency. I like their style - kind of anti-establishment. Fits me perfectly! I should add that my book already has an endorsement from Douglas Preston, so that may have made a difference in getting a response.
    Author of high-octane sci-fi, fantasy and horror!

www.tobytatestories.com Amazon

Represented by

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    Working fine now.
    I'm sorry ... I'm sure this should be obvious, but I always see this and just can't figure it out ... what do the two oval bars represent???

(They're in the signature of CaoPaux.)

Quote Originally Posted by etherme View Post
    I'm sorry ... I'm sure this should be obvious, but I always see this and just can't figure it out ... what do the two oval bars represent???
    Current completed word count / projected or intended word count for works in progress, for the calendar years 2013 and 2014.
    Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

Cool idea; thanks for letting me know!

I got an offer to publish from my #1 indie publishing choice, and I couldn't refuse. Mr. Fitzgerald still had my full, and didn't have time to get back to me, unfortunately. I might query them for another project, if they're not too pissed at me :P
    Author of high-octane sci-fi, fantasy and horror!

www.tobytatestories.com Amazon

Represented by

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Just received a request for a full from this agency on my supernatural suspense novel.