• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Attaway Publishing Group

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any information on Attaway Publishing. Are they legit or a Vanity Publisher?

Nick Anthony

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Not a lot to go on from their website, but I rather distrust anyone who describes themselves as 'not a traditional publisher'.
Looks like they are exploring new marketing paradigms = we don't have a salesforce or distributor into bookstores

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Adding link: http://www.attawaypublishinggroup.com/

Attaway Publishing Group is in its infancy and began its development under a contracted partnership. Each partner has their own expertise within or related to the industry. We expect to publish two to four titles each year.

The term traditional publisher does not fit Attaway as a whole but does as to the development of a title. Since the partners are spread across the country, there is no brick-and-mortar presence. Everyone works from their individual offices or homes with the same results and harmony as under one roof.
Translation: an ebook/POD operation.

Small blessing that they aren't accepting submissions.

Last edited:

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
They appear to be very secretive about who they are, as a company that is. More than likely, just a group of writers who got together to form their own imprint to publish their own work so they could say they are not vanity published... I see more and more this happening in the last two years, to away from the Vanity stigma.

Nick Anthony

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
I was told they offered a real contract and paid an advance to the Author Chirstopher Hawk. Then I learned Christopher Hawk is a compsit of several of their authors. I wonder who cashed the check???

Nick Anthony

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Since ATTAWAY claims to be a traditional publisher, does the fact that Attaway links four POD sites sound misleading with their claims?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
We do not maintain our own online bookstore. All of our online sales are through Amazon's CreateSpace with our sales page provided by CreateSpace and located on the website for each title released.
'Nuff said.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
The partnership originally formed in 2000 to provide books to literacy programs around the world through more affordable book-club-type reprint. As a result, through popular demand, a distribution network formed. It was also discovered through feedback from its customer network that few mainstream titles met their desires: compelling stories that were meaningful; stories that drew a non-reader in; and were written with the purpose of being an easy read yet still challenging to the older non-reader.

So they print "easy reader" titles with mature subject matter for older readers with poor reading skills, and they sell their books to reading programs, not in bookstores.

Which sounds pretty good, but it isn't really consistent with the titles shown on their website--three books due out in 2010 with almost no info about them, and no useful stats like word count, vocabulary level, sentence structure, grammar restrictions, which is the sort of thing you look for when choosing books for a reading program.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
The thing is, most of the stuff they list is very generic wording. Like what reading programs do they sell to? I suspect they do not offer pointed information so that they can not be discredited.

And since they formed in 2000, why have they only printed one title in nine years. Still according to their own research, the one book they released as a test vechicle did very well. My question of course would be where did it do well because I can find no reviews or rankings of the book. Even there main distribution site Amazon does not show high sales for the title? So how are they marketing the book?

I particularly like the fact that the book was said to have been stocked locally, and yet the site claims the founders all live all over the country and work from their individual offices or home. So...what does the book did well locally really mean? Where is locally located anyway?

There is also the fact that when you try to contact them for information, you have only a few choices to use for their contact system, like to report a typo, request permissions, that sort of thing. Not really sure where your sending your messages, or to who? Its all very hush hush for a traditonal publisher.

I checked out the books they have listed on their site and for their first book, a Ms A Dibell was listed as publicist. Then in another book she is listed as editor, and in another, as publisher. Obviously, she is a lady with many hats...

Smells more and more like a vanity publisher. Hope it is not a scam where the authors are picking up any of the associated cost.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
URL redirects to the Joint Literacy Media Distribution Alliance (http://www.jlmda.com/), which declares:

The Joint Literacy Media Distribution Alliance formed in 2000 in a united effort to distribute quality, affordable reading material to Literacy and English as a Second Language programs across the globe. This was accomplished through bulk purchase, book club type printing and eventually publishing its own titles under the Red Sierra Publishing imprint. JLMDA later developed Attaway Publishing Group for titles aimed at a younger audience. At one point, JLMDA had over 600 registered member programs ordering an average 37 units per title.

With the decline in the global economy, JLMDA dissolved as an alliance at the end of 2010. The rights to most materials published directly by JLMDA have been acquired by a former managing alliance partner. Any questions about the dissolution or acquisitions may be directed here.
So that's that, then.