Status
Not open for further replies.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I want this. I really want this. http://gizmodo.com/5381149/bn-reader-gal//gallery?selectedImage=1

It's an ebook reader with a combined e-ink + LCD touchscreen displays. That means you get all the benefits of the e-ink reading interface, without the nuisance of having to use e-ink for menus or reduced visibility because of extra layers for interactivity. This is awesome! The formal announcement will be in a couple of days, but I cannot resist! And it's supposed to be cheaper than the Kindle, too....

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
Nerdy moment: When i was in university we looked at product life cycle etc. and its so funny when i look at e-readers because they definitely seem to be following it.

For me, i shall wait for the mature stage, where all the kinks are worked out and there is standard software/gadgets for all e-readers (and of course costs are lower). but i'm interested though what people's dream e-reader would be like? what would it include?

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Are the only main e-readers thus far this one, Sony's and Kindle? I like the sony pocket reader for the price, about $100 less than Kindle is listed for.

This B&N one looks neat, though I've always liked to give Sony business (I trust their products for the most part).

I wonder how many people actually own one of these yet. They are pretty neat, though.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm waiting, too. I always give the new gadgets about five-ten years to settle in. Except for the elements I need to keep my desktop running Diablo at top speed. ;)

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
but i'm interested though what people's dream e-reader would be like? what would it include?

Perhaps solar powered, and it would definitely have a stylus and writing program included. I know at that point we're approaching making a small computer rather than a reader, but I don't think with a touch screen adding a stylus program (like on a tablet PC) would be too difficult.

I know we writers would enjoy taking our e-readers out by the lake with their 2-week batteries and non-sun-inflicted screens and just writing our hearts out. Then settling in with a good book (besides the one we're writing) :)

C.M.C.

Archetype
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I don't care how sexy it is. I'm never going to be comfortable staring at an electronic screen for that long without my eyes wanting to fall out of my head.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The thing is, ereaders have already been around that long and longer. I had a rocket ebook reader 10 years ago--and there are at least 20 different models avaialble right now. A product can't mature any faster than the underlying technological knowledge--and of you need ebook reader now, you put up with the limitations. If it is a luxury that needs to be ultra-perfect and sexy, you wait.

Tara Stone

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh... that may just be enough to get me to rethink my loyalty to my Sony PRS-505. :)

Deleted member 42

Me, I want the Please-Dear-Mr.-Jobs-Make-It-Happen Apple Tablet.

LCD backlit touchscreen with Wifi.

Can read Web pages
Can read eReader, OpenEbook, Script, HTML, Mobi, Kindle books

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh... that may just be enough to get me to rethink my loyalty to my Sony PRS-505. :)

Upstream I mentioned I'd been sort of interested in the Sony reader--could you pretty please PM me and let me know what you like about the Sony, and if the pocket version is different/worse/better?

Curiosity strikes :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It does look kind of sexy but I agree with Medievalist: I'm holding on to my Kindle and waiting for the Apple iTablet (or whatever it is going to be called, if it happens).

However, it must have eInk (and not LCD) to make it a viable eBook reader. But judging from the B/N reader (with dual LCD and eInk), I think it's going to happen.

The problem with B/N is that their book buying experience kind of sucks. The great thing about the Kindle is that it's simple, and you can buy books and have them appear almost instantly on your reader without waiting. With over 300000 books available (often with discount prices), that's a huge deal.

BN's eBooks are still relatively expensive, so until they cut their prices and make the buying/distribution process easier, I'll have to wait and see.

Being sexy isn't really what eBook readers are about. What it is about is ease of use, wireless purchase and downloads, electronic OTA media (newspapers, magazines, RSS feeds, blogs, etc.), and a wide range of file formats including the universal PDF.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The down side of Kindle outside of the US is that prices are higher outside if the ebook is available ,at all the ease of buying is not as good. I hope B&N/Ficrionwise manage something better--but the signs are not good.

BlackBriar

Bricoleur
Registered
Reaction score
Nerdy moment: When i was in university we looked at product life cycle etc. and its so funny when i look at e-readers because they definitely seem to be following it.

For me, i shall wait for the mature stage, where all the kinks are worked out and there is standard software/gadgets for all e-readers (and of course costs are lower). but i'm interested though what people's dream e-reader would be like? what would it include?

Let's hope that these stores start supporting the epub format.

Are the only main e-readers thus far this one, Sony's and Kindle? I like the sony pocket reader for the price, about $100 less than Kindle is listed for.

This B&N one looks neat, though I've always liked to give Sony business (I trust their products for the most part).

I wonder how many people actually own one of these yet. They are pretty neat, though.

They lowered the price of the Kindle for about 50$

I don't care how sexy it is. I'm never going to be comfortable staring at an electronic screen for that long without my eyes wanting to fall out of my head.

The B&N has e-ink i think. The color lcd will probably be for buying and cover view.

Me, I want the Please-Dear-Mr.-Jobs-Make-It-Happen Apple Tablet.

LCD backlit touchscreen with Wifi.

Can read Web pages
Can read eReader, OpenEbook, Script, HTML, Mobi, Kindle books

:D Microsoft got there first- http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/29/new-microsoft-courier-video-details-tablet-interface-exciting-l/

Upstream I mentioned I'd been sort of interested in the Sony reader--could you pretty please PM me and let me know what you like about the Sony, and if the pocket version is different/worse/better?

Curiosity strikes :)

The 5 inches is very readable, no complaints about it. It is light, though if it was just a bit heavier it would be uncomfortable. I read it in bed with it held in the air with no problems. Navigation is easy enough, though I don't really understand the way the side numbers (by the screen) exactly work. I tend to rely on author name, date added, and bookmarks for getting to my books. Format support is good, and it has better support for .pdfs than the Kindle (haven't had any problems with .pdfs). There seem to be less complaints about the pocket version than the other version that was released with it on mobileread.com.

It does look kind of sexy but I agree with Medievalist: I'm holding on to my Kindle and waiting for the Apple iTablet (or whatever it is going to be called, if it happens).

However, it must have eInk (and not LCD) to make it a viable eBook reader. But judging from the B/N reader (with dual LCD and eInk), I think it's going to happen.

The problem with B/N is that their book buying experience kind of sucks. The great thing about the Kindle is that it's simple, and you can buy books and have them appear almost instantly on your reader without waiting. With over 300000 books available (often with discount prices), that's a huge deal.

BN's eBooks are still relatively expensive, so until they cut their prices and make the buying/distribution process easier, I'll have to wait and see.

Being sexy isn't really what eBook readers are about. What it is about is ease of use, wireless purchase and downloads, electronic OTA media (newspapers, magazines, RSS feeds, blogs, etc.), and a wide range of file formats including the universal PDF.

Yeah, they definitely suck. Hopefully it'll be easier if they do an amazon and have a direct-to-device downloads. Still, their drm was PITA when I used them to buy the Gathering Storm prologue.

The down side of Kindle outside of the US is that prices are higher outside if the ebook is available ,at all the ease of buying is not as good. I hope B&N/Ficrionwise manage something better--but the signs are not good.

:D

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/15/g...ore-launching/

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ezkegD9BBHAT80

Hopefully they drive the prices down.

Also, if anyone wants a Sony ebook reader on the cheap, supposedly retail stores are getting rid of the older versions for around 15$. Check the mobileread.com forum for more info.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

The eInk is an entirely different thing. No back light. No flickering. No eye strains. In fact, no electrons being emitted once the "text" has been rendered on the screen -- it truly is just like ink on paper.

Give it a try before jumping to conclusion.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I gave it a try and actually prefer my laptop. Very low contrast, at least as the Sopny reader uses it.

The Sony, yes. The Kindle is better but I still think the background is a shade too beige.

And it's still difficult for me to "adjust" to needing light to read the eBook reader. I know, I need light to read a printed book, too, but when I hold the Kindle, my mind goes into "it's an electronic reader so it's gotta have back light" mode. I'm still adjusting.

BlackBriar

Bricoleur
Registered
Reaction score
The Sony, yes. The Kindle is better but I still think the background is a shade too beige.

And it's still difficult for me to "adjust" to needing light to read the eBook reader. I know, I need light to read a printed book, too, but when I hold the Kindle, my mind goes into "it's an electronic reader so it's gotta have back light" mode. I'm still adjusting.

*polite cough* I never seen the Kindle in person, but according to reviews, the Kindle has glare problems. I read inside my place, but sometimes near a window, and my sony is still readable in th light. I really can't tell the difference between reading on my sony and a book.

I am not totally in love with my Sony though. It has an up/down button, and I keep pressing the up (or is it down?) button and it turns the page back. I do this quite often and it can get annoying after a while. I am adding more and more ebooks to my reader, and I now have to take the precaution of going to the Date sort, bookmarking the ebooks I really want to read instead of the ones that I've already read. This seems to be the fastest way of getting to them.

I love the battery life though. Had it for a few weeks now, and I haven't set down to fill the battery once. I doubt I've had it charge for more than two hours combine and it just keeps chugging along. This can probably be said for the kindle and other ebook readers though...

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56856
Glare: The Kindle 2 and the PRS-600 have an indistinguishable amount of reflectivity. They both require avoidance of spot lighting. There is no concern about how much glare you experience on either device, as long as you're willing to make minor efforts to compensate for it (tilt it slightly, use a book-light, whatever works).

Clarity: Remember the 505? Remember how it really looked like paper? No other reader I've used has been quite that good. It's because of the contrast. The 300 and the 505 are almost exactly the same, but, the 300 supports more levels of gray, and a slightly lower contrast because of it. The 300 looks exactly the same as the 505 until you put one next to the other and you can see slight differences in the clarity. The 505 wins but by almost immeasurably little.

Why don't they design those things ergonomically? It's a flat board. How uncomfortable is that holding it in your hands for a long time? At least books are flexible and conform to your hands.

I often read with a book laying on something cause it is uncomfortable to hold. Ebook readers are also lighter than a lot of books. They could have saved some space though, on the sides, since I can barely (but I can) hold it with one hand.

Last edited:

Delhomeboy

Stalking Jennifer Aniston!
Registered
Reaction score
The eInk is an entirely different thing. No back light. No flickering. No eye strains. In fact, no electrons being emitted once the "text" has been rendered on the screen -- it truly is just like ink on paper.

Give it a try before jumping to conclusion.

Eh, a screen is a screen is a screen. A woman who came into the resort let me see hers once, and I really didn't notice a huge difference as far as eye strain went. Now, that PROBABLY is just me, but still.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Why don't they design those things ergonomically? It's a flat board. How uncomfortable is that holding it in your hands for a long time? At least books are flexible and conform to your hands.

It's comfortable to me to read, even in bed.

*polite cough* I never seen the Kindle in person, but according to reviews, the Kindle has glare problems. I read inside my place, but sometimes near a window, and my sony is still readable in th light. I really can't tell the difference between reading on my sony and a book.

I've had no problem, even reading in sunlight. The thing is eInk, no backlight, and the glass isn't that reflective.

Eh, a screen is a screen is a screen. A woman who came into the resort let me see hers once, and I really didn't notice a huge difference as far as eye strain went. Now, that PROBABLY is just me, but still.

It's just you. :) A screen is not a screen is not a screen. LCD and eInk are very different. Try reading texts on each for an extended amount of time (say, an hour or two) and you WILL notice the difference. I can read on my Kindle for hours without any eye strain because it is just like reading on paper (and just like with paper, you will need a good light source).

In fact, I'd say eInk readers are better than print because you can choose font sizes. I make mine pretty big so I don't ever have to use my reading glasses (yes, I'm getting older). Some books are torture on my eyes because of the small prints.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
BTW, if you can't afford an eBook reader but already have an iPhone or iPod Touch, download the Kindle for iPhone. No, it's not eInk, but it's surprisingly easy on the eye and convenient to read (just not for a long time). The iPhone/iPod Touch screen is a bit small so you will be scrolling a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.