• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Thomas Nelson Publishing / WestBow Press

PFNikolai

WestBow Press / Thomas Nelson
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.petenikolai.com
Thanks again everybody for the continued dialog! While I have been in traditional publishing for nearly 20 years, I have not explored non-traditional publishing until the last year or so—and I continue to learn.

Much of the frustration expressed here seems to stem from semantics. Some people feel very passionate that “self-publishing” is okay but “vanity” publishing is not. Others seem to feel either one is okay as long as the author is making an informed choice.

Our perspective is that there are a number of aspiring authors out there who want to see their book in print and do not have the ability (time, knowledge, perseverance, or some other factor) to publish the book themselves (self-publish). They have considered it (some to greater lengths than others), but would rather just pay a publishing company to do it for them.

Whether WestBow is called a vanity press or a publishing services provider or a self-publishing services provider or a non-traditional publisher or some other name does not really matter to us or to most of the authors we serve. We help them get their book in print, and we strive to make a profit doing so. We state our offers very clearly, and we deliver what we offer.

We are monitoring the books that we publish and will offer a traditional publishing contract to some authors. We try not to play up that angle too much, but we do hope that WestBow becomes a source for many new Nelson books and authors—we need all the good books we can find!

We also hope that discovering authors early will enhance our profitability. Paying authors rather large advances and then recouping those advances quite infrequently is not working out too well for traditional publishers. We would much rather have some way of testing books prior to making major investments in them, and WestBow seems to provide that opportunity to a degree.

While we would like to go the traditional route and pay modest advances to publish more new and mid-list authors, we just don’t have the capacity to do so. Our experience is that it takes just as much effort to publish a new or mid-list author as it does an established author with a platform—and we need the revenue produced by those established authors to pay the bills.

We have entered a new era in book publishing and in the entertainment and communication media realm. The social media have made it clear that people want to be heard as much as—if not more than—they want to listen to what others have to say. The explosion in the number of books being published seems to serve that same desire.

It will be very difficult for any book—whether published in the traditional way or some other way—to break out and attract attention. Traditional publishers like to think they understand what it takes and can make it happen, but the numbers tell a different story.

I am thankful for the passion being expressed here for publishing and for good books. I pray that each of you has a blessed and peaceful Thanksgiving—and I look forward to the continuing the debate in a day or two! Keep pushing back—your feedback is helping to guide us through uncharted waters…

Pete Nikolai
WestBow Press
www.WestBowPress.com

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Much of the frustration expressed here seems to stem from semantics. Some people feel very passionate that “self-publishing” is okay but “vanity” publishing is not. Others seem to feel either one is okay as long as the author is making an informed choice.

My frustration stems from the fact that this setup is designed so that authors will almost certainly lose money on it. Would you be willing to post on the WestBow site that most books printed by ASI sell less than 100 copies? Do you think you'd continue to get as many customers if they knew that fact?

We also hope that discovering authors early will enhance our profitability. Paying authors rather large advances and then recouping those advances quite infrequently is not working out too well for traditional publishers.
So why not pay modest advances and work to sell those books to readers?

Also, vanity publishing is traditional, too. You're referring to commercial or trade publishing.

We would much rather have some way of testing books prior to making major investments in them, and WestBow seems to provide that opportunity to a degree.
Why not just go through the appropriate section of any of ASI's existing lines (XLibris, AuthorHouse, etc) and check out the sales on those books? Surely if you truly believe this, you'd find something there worth publishing.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
How many copies of a typical West Bow book are sold to someone other than the author?

Isn't it true that, with West Bow, Thomas Nelson is guaranteed a profit on every title?

What level of sales of a vanity-published book would you consider significant? How many such books has Thomas Nelson acquired over the past year? The past five years?

Isn't it true that author-financed books would continue to appear without Thomas Nelson's participation in the process? Is there any reason to believe that Thomas Nelson would be unable to find self-publishing successes, and offer contracts to them, if they were interested in doing so?

Does the appearance of impropriety (and the universal condemnation of authors' groups) bother you?

Deleted member 42

We would much rather have some way of testing books prior to making major investments in them, and WestBow seems to provide that opportunity to a degree.

That's why most publishers use acquisition editors.

We have entered a new era in book publishing and in the entertainment and communication media realm. The social media have made it clear that people want to be heard as much as—if not more than—they want to listen to what others have to say. The explosion in the number of books being published seems to serve that same desire.

This argument--from someone employed by Thomas Nelson--is specious in the extreme; your company's history in the 18th century included a large number of vanity published books. They lost money on the endeavor, and turned to subscription-based publishing, which, also, lost money.

Then, in the nineteenth century, they, like their peers, realized hiring professional editors who read submissions, picked the best mss., edited them, worked with authors to revise them, and contracted with independent bookshops and salespersons to sell them, worked much much better. They began to turn a profit.

There's an enormous and distressing amount of irony that someone employed by a venerable publisher--one that is studied in any history of publishing course--would be this ignorant of his own company's history, and this coy about the market for West Bow books.

West Bow is designed to sell to authors; not to readers, not to libraries, not to academic book stores, not to Christian bookstores, and, in fact, not to bookstores at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score

Hardly semantics when there's a big difference between self-publishing and vanity publishing. If I were to publish a book with Lulu, I own the ISBN. If I publish through your WestBow, I don't own the ISBN and therefore don't fully control my book, do I?

Our perspective is that there are a number of aspiring authors out there who want to see their book in print and do not have the ability (time, knowledge, perseverance, or some other factor) to publish the book themselves (self-publish). They have considered it (some to greater lengths than others), but would rather just pay a publishing company to do it for them.

Only those who are a.)impatient or b.)misinformed. I happen to be an aspiring author, and I do not have the ability to go through self-publishing. However paying someone isn't on my list of options when there are publishers who will pay me for my stories.

Whether WestBow is called a vanity press or a publishing services provider or a self-publishing services provider or a non-traditional publisher or some other name does not really matter to us or to most of the authors we serve.

Well it should. You're failing to be honest whether out of willfulness or ignorance by not being completely clear on the definitions of such terms, and are therefore misleading new aspiring writers with your misinformation. So no, it actually matters a whole hell of a lot what WestBow is defined as. You don't call a hyena a dog just because it looks like one.

We are monitoring the books that we publish and will offer a traditional publishing contract to some authors. We try not to play up that angle too much, but we do hope that WestBow becomes a source for many new Nelson books and authors—we need all the good books we can find!

You know that slushpile Nelson (should) have? That is where you find good books. Not by wasting time with a vanity arm when numbers prove the average title doesn't sell very well. Especially as there likely is no quality threshold.

We also hope that discovering authors early will enhance our profitability.

Experienced staff would already be doing that. Because they'd know what to look for that would sell.

Paying authors rather large advances and then recouping those advances quite infrequently is not working out too well for traditional publishers.

Can you prove that? Because the only presses I've seen go out of business (with the exception of one) have been run by people who don't know what they're doing. Publishers who DO know what they're doing are still trucking along. So where exactly is the model not working?

Not unless you have a quality threshold, which I doubt WestBow has. If you have an acquisitions editor at Nelson who knows what they're doing, you wouldn't need a vanity press to 'test books prior to making an investment'. You're riding on an author's dime because you obviously haven't got the personnel or experience to determine what sells and what doesn't - otherwise you wouldn't need WestBow to do it for you.

While we would like to go the traditional route and pay modest advances to publish more new and mid-list authors, we just don’t have the capacity to do so.

So that justifies a vanity publishing arm?

Our experience is that it takes just as much effort to publish a new or mid-list author as it does an established author with a platform—and we need the revenue produced by those established authors to pay the bills.

Okay, fair enough. But why do you need WestBow to determine this?

It will be very difficult for any book—whether published in the traditional way or some other way—to break out and attract attention. Traditional publishers like to think they understand what it takes and can make it happen, but the numbers tell a different story.

It's very easy to say something like 'the numbers tell a different story', but unless you provide said numbers, your words are just words. They don't mean anything. If you're going to make these claims, you need to back it up with data. Commercial publishers do all they can to get the word out about their books - that's how they make their money, by selling to readers. If they don't advertise, they don't make money. And a book doesn't have to be a Stephen King bestseller to make money. I find it kind of sad that you think making wannabe writers pay for services while holding out the dream that they might be picked up if their book sells well (which it likely won't) is such a fantastic idea.

HJW

Registered
Reaction score
See, that's the big problem I have mostly with vanity publishers. They play on people's desires to be published, encouraging a sense of entitlement that they deserved to be published. And then the writers never stop to think that perhaps their writing needs to improve, or perhaps the idea doesn't work, or a whole plethora of reasons because they're thinking 'hey, I deserve to be published!' But not everyone IS meant to be published.

There are a whole list of reasons why ones manuscript got rejected. The publisher being a big meanie-head isn't on that list.

Yes, yes and yes.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the general public suddenly wanted to read unedited slush, the bookstores would have a whole Unedited Slush section right by the door.
....e.g., the bookstores would stock copies of each of the tens of thousands of PublishAmerica titles.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
....e.g., the bookstores would stock copies of each of the tens of thousands of PublishAmerica titles.

Nah. PublishAmerica's discounts are so lousy that the bookstores would lose money on each copy even if the public did want to read them. But there would be a real opportunity for AuthorHouse.

Since AuthorHouse has been in business for years, and the bookstores don't have those sections, I'd say that the public demand just isn't there.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Originally Posted by PFNikolai: Our experience is that it takes just as much effort to publish a new or mid-list author as it does an established author with a platform—and we need the revenue produced by those established authors to pay the bills.

Then why didn't TN go with the "no advance" model for newer or mid-list writers? Just curious -- wouldn't this have accomplished the same good for everybody without going the subsidy-press route via WestBow?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
The advance issue is a red herring. Sure, books can tank on absurdly bloated advances, if they don't sell to expectations. But most writers don't get absurdly bloated advances. In fact, for new or midlist authors, the advance can be one of the smallest of the publisher's expenditures.

- Victoria

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
According to a publisher I was talking to this week it costs a minimum of £5,000 to get a novel to print, excluding the author's advance (more for high-spec books with foil covers, lots of editing, much design); a medium advance is a relatively small amount to add to this.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Since that £5,000 figure is true, or its equivalent in dollars, the advance doesn't constitute a "major investment". I don't think that's the actual reason for going for a subsidy press, as Mr. Nikolai hints it is.

Disingenuous at best.

Deleted member 42

According to a publisher I was talking to this week it costs a minimum of £5,000 to get a novel to print, excluding the author's advance (more for high-spec books with foil covers, lots of editing, much design); a medium advance is a relatively small amount to add to this.

Yes.

Keep in mind that the publisher has to reserve a slot at the printers--and they, understandably want money up front.

Publishers also have to deal with bulk commodities -- inks and papers ,and yes, there's speculation involved and warehouse costs.

So those costs are all shared by non-trade publishers, too. Plus, with POD you've still got to stop and reset the press after a print run -- which might be for a single copy. POD costs more per copy. It just does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
In the library last week, I saw a new book that had an interesting title. I pulled it off the shelf. I read the first paragraph of the blurb on the back cover. Then I glanced at the bottom of the back cover: WestBow. I put it back. Unless I'm beta-reading, I don't have the time or desire to read an unedited ms.

It's a shame. WestBow used to have a good rep. A few years back, before this change, a WestBow editor requested and then passed on one of my mss. I was depressed. Now... I'm okay with that.

PFNikolai

WestBow Press / Thomas Nelson
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.petenikolai.com
Thanks for the feedback!

While Mr. Edmondson declined to utilize our editorial and cover design services, we have come to realize that we need to maintain certain standards to ensure that the author's brand and our brand do not suffer. While we provide self-publishing services, there are minimum standards that every book should meet.

Pete Nikolai
WestBow Press
www.WestBowPress.com

Last edited:

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Glad to see you've "come to realize" the buying public (and in this case I mean the potential reader, not the writer) deserves a bare minimum of quality, since I mentioned just that in a blog comment to Michael Hyatt months ago.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
If, however, you pick up a title at the bookstore and it has WestBow on the spine, please check the publishing date. Until very lately (a year ago? two?) WestBow was a non-vanity, non-subsidy imprint of Nelson that published some of the authors I most respect in this market. Those titles, you may want to consider purchasable.

I haven't seen anything from the pay-to-play WestBow yet. Probably there will be a title or two at the ACFW conference this September. We'll see.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I just received the following email. This contest is open only to registrants of a 1-day Christian Writers conference in CA:

All bolding is theirs.

WestBow Press Writing Contest

At the OC Christian Writers Conference on May 1, 2010,one deserving writer will win a Bookstore Advantage Publishing Package, with a retail value of $2,799.00

Submit your manuscript today

In every author's success story, there is a beginning. With WestBow Press, you now have the opportunity to begin or advance your career as an author, share your story, and start shaping your future.

WestBow Press, a division of Thomas Nelson, helps authors self-publish books of all genres, specializing in books with Christian morals, inspirational themes and family values.

Features of WestBow's Bookstore Advantage Package include:
*Trade Paperback Binding (B&W Interior, Color Cover)
*Editorial Review
*Interior Book Design and Page Layout
*Standard Cover Design Including Personalized Back Cover
*ISBN
*Channel Distribution to 25K Retailers Worldwide
*Sold on Amazon.com, Barnes&Noble.com, etc.
*Personalized WestBow Press Bookstore Detail Page
*E-Book Format for Amazon Kindle and Sony Reader
*10 Image Insertions/Text Treatments
*40 Free Paperback Copies
*15 Free Hardcover Copies
*Bookmarks, Postcards and Business Cards (100 of Each)
*Booksellers Return Program
*Barnes & Noble See Inside the Book
*Google and Amazon Search Program
*Volume Discounts
*One-on-One Author Support
*Non-Exclusive Contract
*Ultra Fast, On-Demand Printing
*Retain Rights to Materials
*Full-Control of Design and Content
*Book Representatives Working to Sell to Christian Book Buyers
*Full-Page Feature in WestBow Press Catalog

There is No Fee to Enter

Two thousand eight hundred dollars?

I am an unknown debut writer, and my advance was more than that. :Headbang:

I got to this point by writing, revising, submitting, being rejected, revising, being rejected... the usual way. It breaks my heart to think that a hungry writer with a pile of rejections who may be thinking that they'll never get that one "Yes" would go for this at a conference where there is at least one POD publisher who is NOT pay-to-play. (I don't know anything about the other names in the email.)

I'm not going to line-by-line this--I'll leave that to the expert dismantlers here. :)

Last edited: