• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Freelance listing] oDesk.com

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used this site to find a writing job?

Odesk.com

I'm signing up to see what happens. There are other jobs there besides writing. I guess it wouldn't hurt to fill out the info.

You can post jobs there and get interviews for jobs as well. Check it out, it looks good but I just wanted to know if anyone has ever used it to get writing jobs.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Fortunately, it's the buyer who pays the fees, not the provider. http://www.odesk.com/w/faqs

What's the oDesk fee?

When providers apply to jobs, they specify the rate they would like to receive. oDesk will add a fee on top of this amount and show you the buyer what would be charged. It is the buyer who pays the fee. If you negotiate the rate, keep in mind that the amount the buyer pays is not the same as the amount provider receives.

The oDesk fee is always 10% of the buyer's payment.

Example
The provider enters a rate of $9 per hour on the application form. The buyer sees and pays a rate of $10 per hour. An additional $1 per hour was added to cover the oDesk fee. $1 / $10 = 10%

Example
The buyer makes a payment for $100 on a fixed-price job. The provider receives $90. The remaining $10 is kept by oDesk. $10 / $100 = 10%

Note
oDesk does not charge registration, membership, job posting, application, or interview fees. It is absolutely free to join and always free for providers to apply to and work on jobs. Buyers only pay a fee on paid assignments - not for posting jobs or interviewing candidates.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Invitation to Interview for: ROMANCE GENRE SHORT STORY / FICTION (eMail I received)

Or, how to give your short stories away for beer money. I received this eMail from oDesk and am posting it as I got it to avoid possible "taken out of context" accusations (Mods, your call).
Check the requirements and ownsership stipulations in particular:

(header) Invitation to Interview for: ROMANCE GENRE SHORT STORY / FICTION Writers Wanted - Get Published as a ROMANCE Short Story Fiction Author & Build Your Expertise In Your Field & Build You Resume By Becoming an Author! USA, CANADA, UK Writers Only!

oDesk

Hi Mario,

You have received an invitation to interview for the job ROMANCE GENRE SHORT STORY / FICTION Writers Wanted - Get Published as a ROMANCE Short Story Fiction Author & Build Your Expertise In Your Field & Build You Resume By Becoming an Author! USA, CANADA, UK Writers Only! (#201340264).

Message From The Client
      • IMPORTANT: IN YOUR REPLY, ANSWER THESE 3 QUESTIONS ***

1. WHAT IS YOUR SHORT STORY CONCEPT/PLOT?
- All short stories must be 100% original written from scratch and must pass copyscape and plagiarism sites.
- Plus, it MUST fit a short story - NOT a novelette...usually short stories have ONLY ONE plot).
- IMPORTANT: Short stories tend to be less complex than novels, novellas, and novelettes. Usually a short story focuses on one incident; has a single plot, a single setting, and a small number of characters; and covers a short period of time.

2. WHAT IS YOUR SHORT STORY TITLE?
- Pick a SHORT TITLE so it's easy to remember and summarizes story in a unique, catchy way without starting with "The".
- Also check on amazon.com so that your title is NOT taken by other writers.

3. WHAT IS GENRE FOR SHORT STORY?

4. WHAT IS YOUR PROOF OF EXPERTISE as a short story, fiction writer, or writer in general (We accept beginners so just tell us your background/passion/experti se as a writer)?

NOTE:
- We only take USA, UK, or Canada writers OR applicants with ODESK English test scores over 80%.
- We do NOT accept adult material short stories so if that is your genre, please do not apply.

• WHAT YOU GET ***
OUR RATE (negotiable):
- 5,000 - 7500 words (approx 20-30 pages) = $25 (short story rate) PLUS you get credited as author for the short story ebook.
- (Other writing jobs don't offer AUTHOR STATUS!) - Great opportunity to make a name for yourself as a short story writer!

NOTE: We also need 3 book extras:
100+ word about the author section (in 3rd person)
200+ word book description
500+ word article about book (to use as promotion)
- The 3 parts above will not be counted as part of the overall word count...this is just extra parts we need to put you as a co-author

• AMAZING BENEFITS ***
- PLUS, YOU WILL BECOME AN AUTHOR to build your credibility as a freelance writer.
- Your resume will STAND OUT since you will become an author (as opposed to other freelancers just writing articles). Thus, writing for us will most likely impress future employers and help you get MORE jobs compared to other freelance writers.
- When you write for us, YOUR BOOK, YOUR NAME, YOUR CREDIBILITY WILL GROW FOR A LIFETIME BECAUSE WE WILL MAKE SURE YOUR NAME & CREDIBILITY AS AN AUTHOR IN YOUR FIELD REACHES WORLDWIDE!
- This is for a one time payment project but you do get lifetime benefits of being labeled an author, getting published, building your credibility, and getting more exposure in your field.

thanks
HIRING MANAGER
Ownership and Credit. Employer has the sole ownership and copyrights for the Work, including editing, sale, and distribution rights. Writer will not own any copyright and/or distribution right to the Work. Employer has the right to credit the Writer as a co-author of the work (ex: Short Story Press & Author Name) for platforms that allow multiple author names. For eBook platforms that only allow one author name, the name Short Story Press will be used as the main author name but the Writer's name will still be credited by putting their name in front of the eBook design cover as well as inside the eBook by having their name in the title page and also having an "About the Author" section at the end of the eBook to credit the writer. Employer has the right to publish it in any form, including but not limited to, ebook, book, audio, and video, anywhere, including websites, ebook stores, bookstores, and all other platforms. Employer has the right to add or not add additional contributors to the Work if Employer hired other contributors to add more content to the Work such as artists, designers, editors, authors, and any other contributing members.
---
Skills: writing, make

Thanks,
oDesk Support

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
YOUR BOOK, YOUR NAME, YOUR CREDIBILITY WILL GROW FOR A LIFETIME BECAUSE WE WILL MAKE SURE YOUR NAME & CREDIBILITY AS AN AUTHOR IN YOUR FIELD REACHES WORLDWIDE!

YES, YES, TAKE MY SHORT STORY FOR A PITTANCE! EVERYTHING SOUNDS SO MUCH MORE CONVINCING IN CAPITAL LETTERS!! MAKE MY CREDIBILITY GROW UNTIL MY CREDIBILITY REACHES WORLDWIDE AND INDEED THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE! THEN TREMBLE, PUNY EARTHLINGS!!!

I don't know what these people are smoking but I want some.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Cannot comment directly on this, but a friend of mine received content/copyediting jobs through oDesk, and a client of theirs who had her time tied up for weeks did not pay her as arranged. She complained, but oDesk would do nothing about it. Their stance was, "That's between you and our client -- we just serve as matchmaker."

Fail.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Well, first off-- they can't count.

No. *shakes head*

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
NOTE: We also need 3 book extras:
100+ word about the author section (in 3rd person)
200+ word book description
500+ word article about book (to use as promotion)
- The 3 parts above will not be counted as part of the overall word count...this is just extra parts we need to put you as a co-author

Idjits. Those are of appropriate length for a book, not a short story.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Cannot comment directly on this, but a friend of mine received content/copyediting jobs through oDesk, and a client of theirs who had her time tied up for weeks did not pay her as arranged. She complained, but oDesk would do nothing about it. Their stance was, "That's between you and our client -- we just serve as matchmaker."

Fail.
They do that for non-hourly jobs, which is 90% of the jobs on oDesk. They basically hook up freelancers to clients, and if the client wants to take your work and not pay you or give you credit, well, sucks to be you. Especially if the client is overseas (yep, again 90% of of the jobs).
I'm there for experience, basically, to build a webdev/design and post-production portfolios and I can see rookie editors and proofreaders building a resume that way. But it's bottom of the barrel.
YES, YES, TAKE MY SHORT STORY FOR A PITTANCE! EVERYTHING SOUNDS SO MUCH MORE CONVINCING IN CAPITAL LETTERS!! MAKE MY CREDIBILITY GROW UNTIL MY CREDIBILITY REACHES WORLDWIDE AND INDEED THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE! THEN TREMBLE, PUNY EARTHLINGS!!!

I don't know what these people are smoking but I want some.
No...no, you don't. :ROFL:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
(crosspost) In '15, oDesk merged with eLance to form Upwork Global (thread).