• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Arcadia Publishing

irwriter

Arcadia Publishing at arcadiapublishing.com

> Has anyone worked with them, and are they legitimate?

> Thank you!

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
irwriter said:
Arcadia Publishing at arcadiapublishing.com

> Has anyone worked with them, and are they legitimate?

> Thank you!

I've talked with the acquisitions editor and seen their books in bookstores, so yes, they are legitimate. They are interested in primarily history picture books, with text describing the pictures. I actually have the email stored somewhere on my computer, and I will try to find it, and post what she said.

irwriter

Thank you!

If you can find the email, that would be great, and if anyone else has any experience, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Thanks again!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Completely legitimate -- they have a well-defined niche, they're well distributed, and have a distinctive look. If you saw one I'm sure you'd recognize the many times you've seen their other titles.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Completely legitimate -- they have a well-defined niche, they're well distributed, and have a distinctive look. If you saw one I'm sure you'd recognize the many times you've seen their other titles.

Thanks, Jim.

All excellent reasons why I did a second and third book with them. They have excellent brand recognition with their distinctive covers, AND bookstores love them because they sell so well. How do I know this? I've been told by many many bookstore managers and employees how well my and other titles sell.

allen

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Arcadia

I'm looking for other pubishers that do pictorial guides like Arcadia Publishing does. Specifically regional/nostalgia ones.

Thanks,
tina

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
allen can you email me your experiences with arcadia? They are interested in my book.
[email protected]
thanks.

I especially would like to know if I can use the photos elsewhere for different projects. Want to make sure they get like a one time use license and not an all rights license. Thanks again.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I'll send you an email.

As for using the photos elsewhere, the photos all belong to the author. I don't know about Arcadia's usage rights (you can ask them if you want), but Arcadia doesn't "own" the photos once they're in their books. The author is still free to do whatever he wants to do with them.

They're pretty easy to work with, though. Although I didn't plan to write a book four, I'm actually thinking about one, mostly as a favor for a man who was a major contributor to all three of my books.

allen

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recent experience with these folks? From their book list and website, it seems they are still going strong. My project is almost entirely text, so if they are image-heavy then perhaps this isn't the publisher for me, but their books are exactly the tone and audience for my project (think of the types of books you would see in a museum giftshop).

Their "Make Me an Author" page is scant on details, referring you to the various series pages, which link you to their books. It might take some clicking and guesswork on your part to find out what series best fits, and I can't find any details on what they are looking for in their proposals.

ETA: I submitted an inquiry through their portal. I'll keep you updated!

They have a new hybrid publishing service "imprint" they are strongly promoting: https://www.vertelpublishing.com/services

This website is not found, and Arcadia's page makes no mention of them. Google turns up 2017 articles, and Google returns ways to order Vertel books, but no links to any webiste.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reactions: byarvin