• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Content site] Demand Studios / eHow

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Welllllll, I signed up and TRIED to write for them, I think twice. Both articles were rejected. Now, I'm not an amature. I've been a journalist/freelance writer for over 30 years, with many, many published credits. They keep emailing me and asking me to come back! Not worth the trouble/research time/writing time - for $5.00 to $15.00 per article. Just my opinion.

Carlene

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
The Intern blog has a pretty interesting post on writing for a biz that sounds very much like Demand Studios. There's also this. The upshot of these pieces is it that Demand Studios is legit but for these writers it wound up being a lot of work for relatively little money. On the other hand, after Googling I also found postings by several people who seemed to be satisfied with the work/pay ratio.

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score
It worked well for me, but I've heard from other writers who were just frustrated by the whole process and the way Demand Studios handled editing/approving its content. But, I can tell you they are legit in the sense that, if you write the articles the way they ask you to (with very specific guidelines), they'll cough up the dough for them. I make about $45 a day writing for them, and it only takes me around 3-4 hours. Not great if it's your primary income, but pretty good as supplemental cash.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
It's absolutely legit. I write for Demand Studios and must say that they are extremely prompt when it comes to paying for articles, and pretty much with all communication. It IS a bit of a timesink when you're learning how to write for them so you'll spend more time on your first couple/few articles, but once you get a feel for what they're looking for and the style to use, you'll find yourself spending less and less time writing/revising so it becomes much more cost effective, so to speak.

Over all, I think it's a great option to pick up supplemental income and to build up a nonfiction resume. I'm happy with them.

mommyjo2

Bad grammar make me [sic]
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milehimama.com
I write for Demand and I'm happy so far. I've made just over $200 this month. Yes, it's only $15 an article, which take me about an hour to write. But, that's more than I'd make at an hourly part time job, I can do it from home (or, uh, the coffee shop, not that I ever procrastinate by going there) and it gives me writing practice. And, they pay on time and consistently.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
My daughter writes for them and is doing pretty well. I applied they turned me down. A week later she told me they had a call out for an article on writing romance novels or something similar. Go figure.:tongue

David Wisehart

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidwisehart.com
eHow

Demand Studios has been using eHow.com content on eHow.co.uk without authorization by, or compensation to, the original authors.

U.S. writers are paid for articles posted on eHow.com, but not paid for the reprints on eHow.co.uk.

Some writers have complained to Demand Studios about this. The reposted articles are now being taken down from eHow.co.uk -- a process which will apparently take a few weeks -- but there is no news yet on whether the authors will be compensated for their share of the money earned by Demand Studios from the authorized eHow.com articles reposted without authorization on eHow.co.uk.

Here is the official statement from eHow.com to their writers:

"We've noticed the buzz around eHow's new UK website and specifically the questions of whether WCP participants are paid for their articles shown on our sister website. We appreciate all the comments, as our community is what makes us special, and wanted to clearly address your concerns. At the moment we do not have a system to pay writers for their articles hosted on eHow.co.uk.

We've listened to your voices and since we are unable pay WCP participants in the UK, we'll be removing your articles from eHow's UK website within the next few weeks. We'll keep you posted on our progress and thank you for your patience and commitment to eHow."

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here ever apply for an editor position with Demand Studios? How long did it take for them to get back to you?

honeysock

Tell me to leave. Please.
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here ever apply for an editor position with Demand Studios? How long did it take for them to get back to you?

I've tried to apply for a writer position several times, but I can never get the "submit" button on the application to activate. It accepts everything else just fine. I emailed them a few days ago about this, and someone immediately (within 24 hours) emailed back and said I could just send them the information on the application through regular email and they would fill it out for me.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
I got the application in all right, but not a word since, even though they say it usually only takes a week or less. It's been about two weeks now.

Droneon

Too clever by a third
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have recent experience with this company? Are they still in business and paying their writers. I applied awhile ago but have had no word from them.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
The last post is from a week ago, so this information is very recent. Demand is a huge company. I don't expect them to disappear anytime soon.

ETA: I freelance full-time and they constitute a big chunk of my income.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw a job posting from Demand via Publishers Marketplace. Does anyone have experience copyediting for them? It seems like most of the comments on the old, closed thread about Demand are from folks who've written articles for them. I'm curious about the copyediting work there.

For one thing, the sample article they provided has several copy errors in it, which makes me wonder what they are actually looking for? They also pay $3.50 per article and claim most people make $20-22/hour. That means you'd have to copyedit six articles per hour. That seems doable based on the length, but I wondered if copyeditors are expected to fact-check as well? That seems like it could take a lot of time.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
I've applied to them twice and been turned down twice. Why, I have no idea. I'm commercially published, with three novels out so far and two more coming. I've also taught at conferences, edited articles, and ghostwritten pieces for others.

I dunno. They have their reasons, I suppose.

bkwriter

Registered
Reaction score
DS ?

I came across DS website in here and was wondering if they do movie reviews? I was going to go with examiner but not after what everyone said.

Thanks for the help

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
This question belongs in SEO/Content as I am assuming the OP means Demand Studios. And no, they do not do movie reviews at this time.