New guy here!

mljoshua

Still learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
myinspirationalsayings.blogspot.com
Hello everyone, I have just joined you - completed my first book and submitted queries and proposals to some agents this week, got a request from an agent for the manuscript already - very excited.

Thanks for everyone who contributes here, I am learning a LOT from all of you!

Michael

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
hey congrats on the request, michael.

best wishes with it and keep us posted!

welcome to aw!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. Good luck.

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Cooler. Congrats on the request!

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Wow, that's great--you suck! J/k-That's really good to hear!
Welcome to the boards.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
way to go!

Welcome

-Cella

nitaworm

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Come on in, and stay awhile.

mljoshua

Still learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
To nudge or not to nudge....

I know I'm new and impatient - but how long after an agent requests a full should one wait before a nudge? Or should one never nudge? I am still sending out queries, but I am very interested in the agent from Hartline that requested my full just two days after the emailed query.

Should I submit to publishers that accept unsolicited proposals? It seems that there are two schools of thought on this, one group that implies you can burn a good chance at a publisher by submitting it yourself and another group that thinks it's ok to send it out to one and all in quick succession.

Really want to do the right thing and not blow a chance with a great agent.

(Since I am so green, I'm attending a fall seminar tomorrow and also trying my hand at the NANOWRIMO this year...) So I am trying to get my feet wet - just looking for a little more of a heads up....

Thanks!

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, seems I didn't welcome you when you first came on, so, greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Don't forget to read the newbie guide, which is in a sticky thread at the top of the Newbie Forum, and check out Cathy_C's thread, which is also stickied at the top of the Newbie forum, Next on our tour, if you'll look to the left, you'll notice... to find out about the various buttons and icons, and also about rep points, how to PM (private message) members, custom avatars and a whole host of other useful stuff.

I know I'm new and impatient -
Ahh, aren't we all, though :)

but how long after an agent requests a full should one wait before a nudge? Or should one never nudge? I am still sending out queries, but I am very interested in the agent from Hartline that requested my full just two days after the emailed query.
Well, my first thought is -- how long long have you been waiting?

Then, of course, I'd say, don't pester the agent, they may not like that. Or, if it's been a long time (we're talking more than a few months), you could send a simple and friendly email asking if they did, in fact, get what you sent them. Agents can take a while to get back to writers, it's just something you have to get used to.

Take a quick trip down to the 'Ask the Agent' forum and read through some of the threads there. We even have two guest agent threads (Jennifer Laughran and Nathan Bransford) which are stickied at the top of that forum. Any questions you have about the process will probably have been asked and answered in them.

Should I submit to publishers that accept unsolicited proposals? It seems that there are two schools of thought on this, one group that implies you can burn a good chance at a publisher by submitting it yourself and another group that thinks it's ok to send it out to one and all in quick succession.
I think you already answered your own question about sending to publishers. The common thinking is that it will burn the chances of an agent (when you get one) from sending your book to them in the future. But, again, that's just my opinion, and in the 'Ask the Agent' forum, you may find other peeps who will disagree with me.

Really want to do the right thing and not blow a chance with a great agent.

(Since I am so green, I'm attending a fall seminar tomorrow and also trying my hand at the NANOWRIMO this year...) So I am trying to get my feet wet - just looking for a little more of a heads up....

Thanks!
Good luck with your submissions and with the nanowrimo. And enjoy yourself at the seminar. Don't forget to let us know how it went :)

mljoshua

Still learning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi there, seems I didn't welcome you when you first came on, so, greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Good luck with your submissions and with the nanowrimo. And enjoy yourself at the seminar. Don't forget to let us know how it went :)

I only have 5K words so far in the NANOWRIMO, but I spent the last several days in Omaha watching my 2- and 4-year-old grandkids while the newest was entering the world, so I'm behind on everything!

The writing seminar was great! The speaker has more experience on the article-writing end so picked up some good tips from her, plus got a couple of ideas while I was at it. Learned a lot - took lots of notes. Looking forward to making some time to write articles, between grandkids, an MBA program and working full-time.....

I'm planning to attend a conference in Denver in February as well.

OK, I won't bug the agent, it's only been one month... <sigh> You're right, need to step back, get to work on other projects...

Thanks!