Not open for further replies.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
ETA 10/26 SIGNUPS ARE CLOSED -- Still want to participate? Read this.

It's that time again!!

Due to the overwhelming success of the Secret Santa project last year, we're doing it again :) But I'm staring it earlier, to give people more time to write.

THE RULES

(1) A signup to get fiction is a signup to write fiction. No exceptions :)

(2) Your signup must have the following:
- A challenge request, prompt word, book you loved this year, something, anything to give the writer some inspiration
- Any and all requirements/restrictions (ex: no foul language, no sex, I want a happy ending, etc...)

(3) SIGNUPS CLOSE OCTOBER 25th.

(4) On October 26th, you will receive your assignment via PM, which will be randomly chosen by me :)

(5) SUBMISSIONS WILL BE DUE NO LATER THAN DECEMBER 22ND YOUR TIME. Don't make me spend Christmas eve (which my family celebrates because we're Polish) fussing over submissions. (I did that last year because a few of you were late. Don't do that to me again. That wasn't very nice of you.)

We had 100% turnaround last year -- which was fantastic :) Everybody who signed up wrote something, and everybody who signed up got something. Let's do this again!!

:heart: SIGNUPS SO FAR :heart:
1 ELMontague
2 DeadlyAccurate
3 Fenika
4 shethinkstoomuch
5 Nakhlasmoke
6 Faide
7 IdiotsRUs
8 Dicentra P
9 JMBlackman
10 AnnieColleen
11 Shakesbear
12 maxmordon
13 NicoleMD
14 Sai
15 Kitty Pryde
16 Etola
17 Edielin
18 DeleyanLee
19 Rebekah7
20 Whosesally
21 SPMiller
22 K_Woods

(If you think you signed up but you don't see yourself on the list -- it's probably because you didn't give me a prompt! Fix it :) )

Last edited:

ELMontague

I'm in.

1) I would love to get a story. And I will thoroughly enjoy giving one.
2) Please write me a Christmas themed story, SFF in nature. My prompt word is soul. This year, I've enjoyed reading all of the following science fiction works - Starship Troopers, Ender's Game, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe, Beggars in Spain, and Neuromancer. I've also enjoyed the following fantasy books - Small Gods, Red Skies over Red Seas, The Magicians, Night Shift, The Graveyard Book, Tunnels, Deeper, The Somnambulist, The Lord of Light, and several draft works by the folks at AbsoluteWrite.

I promise to give my best and hope to get yours.

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woo hoo! I'm in.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I'm in.

Prompt: Any story, any genre, any setting, no content restrictions, but I want an anti-hero(ine) protagonist who has telekinesis.

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Prompt 1-

I would like a fantasy set in a dangerous land where the female MC has to both fight and think her way out of a situation of some sort. Bonus if the MC isn't human.

Prompt 2, if you prefer-

I would like an historical fantasy (+/- cultural accuracy) with no evil dragons or fair virgins (unfair virgins are allowed. Male virgins could be fun.). Bonus points for at least one horse and one death(attempt?) and one kick ass female MC. Dark fantasy is preferred.

This year I greatly enjoyed The Witcher books (The Last Wish and The Blood of Elves) along with many other books. My all time fav book is The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay (followed closely by Watership Down and the rest of GGK's books).

That outta keep someone busy. :D

Last edited:

shethinkstoomuch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shethinkstoomuch.wordpress.com
I'm interested in participating!

I would like a spec fic (possibly steam punk), preferably with a Christmas/New Year's theme. It doesn't have to be Christmas per se, just good will to man and all that jazz. It can be bittersweet, sad, happy, redemptive, I'm cool with anything.

Immortal is your prompt word. Use it as you will.

Recently, I've enjoyed Dune, The War of the Worlds, and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? in the sci fi department. Non-sci fi, Band of Brothers and The Few are also good books. I really enjoy military history (particularly naval and air force). There does not need to be a military aspect to it. Leave it out if you wish.

Have fun! I look forward to reading it!

Last edited:

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
I'll play.

challenge request/prompts:

Falling between spaces. The truth behind gods. The world you know is not the world you know.

I like darker stuff, but I am easily charmed by black comedy. I want to see the writer have fun with words and rhythms and structure and format and stop thinking about "rules is rules."

Surprise me.

- Any and all requirements/restrictions:

None. I don't care what you do - don't let me shackle your story. It can be in epic verse form or hypertext links and filled with expletives. I won't raise an eyebrow.

Faide

Like Dirty Gentlemen
Registered
Reaction score
This could be fun - I'll give it a try. I'll write my prompt later.

Or, come to think of it, I'll write it now.

Prompt 1 - I'd like a male MC, preferably on the wrong side of the law and with a not too high set of morales - but hey, have fun with it. I'd also love a (pseudo)medieval fantasy, preferably Western European, with no real villains or heroes, but some shades of grey. Magic is fine, but it's not necessary. Could be pretty dark fantasy. Mythical creatures are fine too. Yeah. No limitations =P

Prompt 2 - A story involving a gryphon. Something unexpected or some sort of humour would be much appreciated. Yeah. Pretty short and less intimidating xP

Books I've enjoyed this year are A Game of Thrones and its sequels, Night Watch, Sabriel, Reaper Man, Men at Arms and Morally Ambiguous (by Lccorp2). Favourite authors are Terry Pratchett and George R. R. Martin.

This could be very fun indeed. Good luck, everybody!

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Falling between spaces. The truth behind gods. The world you know is not the world you know.

I like darker stuff, but I am easily charmed by black comedy. I want to see the writer have fun with words and rhythms and structure and format and stop thinking about "rules is rules."
You would lovelovelovelovelovelovelovelovelove my writing. When I finally publish something, I'll be sure you're near the top of the queue for notifications :tongue

And I might participate again this year with SS.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Oh yeah, the prompt / whatever.

ETA: The Short Version: Genre - A fun mediaeval style fantasy world. Prompt - Turn a fantasy cliche on its head.

For bonus points / brownies / giggles
A completely NON gritty mediaeval style fantasy world ( to get the taste of pissy bread out of my mouth lol). However the characters can be as dark ( and hopefully sardonic / snarky, pwetty pwease?) as you wish. Above all I want something fun. With a capital Ffffff. A hero to swoon over would be a bonus :D

Prompt - Take one or more fantasy cliches ( the magic sword, the orphan farm boy who's really king, the villain is the hero's dad, Evil Dude's henchmen make Forest Gump look like Einstein) set it/ them up - and pull the rug from under me. Twist that cliche till it begs for mercy.

Last edited:

Dicentra P

Help!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
OK I'm in. I hope I don't disappoint. I'd like a Christmas themed urban fantasy with a dark flavor but a happy ending. And the word prompt is Toyshop. Its a little more trite for Christmas than I would have chosen but I went to the random word generator and this is what came up.

JMBlackman

I’m trying.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm totally in. This sounds great.

Dear Santa (or Santa's helper; it doesn't matter. I love you equally):
I would like a Holiday themed Fantasy/Sci-Fi (any sub-genre is totally accepted) about a bad-ass, plucky female MC who has recently been dumped as the holidays have begun. I would also like for her to have to deliver some holiday joy to someone within the piece regardless of what's going on with her. I'd like something light but as far as setting is concerned, go wild. I'd love to see what you come up with. I'm not sure if this will be helpful but I love quirky characters with issues, but that are functional. My prompt word is "silver." I have no restrictions.

A few books I've enjoyed this year:
Nightwatch-Sergei Lukyanenko
The Black Tattoo-Sam Enthoven
Skin Trade-Laurell K. Hamilton

Thank you!

P.S.
I'll be a good girl (at least until I get the gift, anyway).

Last edited:

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Why not, I'll play. (crazy? I was crazy once...)

Dear Santa, I would like a heist story or similar -- trickery, disguises, something along that line. Restrictions, keep it fairly clean, pretty please :) I've been enjoying stories in the vein of Lies of Locke Lamora or The Sting (movie).

Bonus points, if you like, for a bit of fun world-building and/or for fun reversals of perception. Surprise me!

[edited to pare down request]

(Are there any length requirements on the gifts?)

Last edited:

geardrops

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
(Are there any length requirements on the gifts?)

Last year we had a minimum length of 500 words. I set a tentative upper bound of 2K, but most everybody surpassed it, and I don't think anyone minded.

So yeah. Just keep it above 500 words. I guess. Unless you go for poetry.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to play please.

Prompt word - mystery

A historical something or other set in the time the Regency in England. A sort of Georgette Heyer with some total nasties and a tad of rumpty tumpty. And some humour please.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
I'm probably being a cantankerous fart, but some of these prompts are getting mighty specific - to the point where people* are going "woah wait, that's...uh...too much for me. I'z not entering, nuh-uh!"

I dunno, just something to consider when writing up a prompt, yeah?

*And by people, i know I mean me. Lurkers support me in email etc.

ELMontague

Fear not the very specific requests to Santa. It was a lot of fun last year with lots of participation. And, bad little boys and girls get a lump of coal, so take the prompts and the requests and do the best you can. I was perfectly amazed at the skill of stories posted last year.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm in!

I want something set in a retro universe or a steampunk setting, possibly something starting off as another wholly different genre (detective story, romance, children's tales) and going off tracks by its own peculiar rules of this world, and please don't make it too long.

geardrops

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
I'm probably being a cantankerous fart, but some of these prompts are getting mighty specific - to the point where people* are going "woah wait, that's...uh...too much for me. I'z not entering, nuh-uh!"

I dunno, just something to consider when writing up a prompt, yeah?

*And by people, i know I mean me. Lurkers support me in email etc.

On the one side, yeah, these requests are going to crimp your freedom to write, and if you don't get inspired off the prompt you have, this could be like pulling teeth.

On the other side, (a) it'll challenge you, and (b) isn't this season about giving? :)

I'm going to say that if you're UBER-specific on what you want, don't expect to get everything down to the detail. And if you're taking up the challenge, remember that someone else has to put up with your prompt too, and it might be the exact opposite of everything they've written forever :)

ON THAT NOTE

If you see a prompt that you say "OH MY GOD I COULD WRITE THAT FOREVER" ... let me know (VIA REP OR PM). It may not work out that you can get it. But I want this to be fun for everyone involved. People should write fun things, and people should get gifts that don't read like the author was tearing their hair out.

Last edited:

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect I was one of the ones asking for a pony, so I pared mine down a bit. If that does/doesn't work, I can tweak again. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.