Giving up hope

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
When you start to think of politics as a means of organizing civil war to minimize bloodshed and property damage, you'll find that it makes a lot more sense. :)

I'm not convinced of this assessment. Politics seems a lot bloodier than war these days, and instead of damaging property they're just taking it now.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
I'm not convinced of this assessment. Politics seems a lot bloodier than war these days, and instead of damaging property they're just taking it now.

Politics seems bloodier because the players no longer feel a need to pretend that they serve the people. And it has always been about taking property. A country laid waste with nobody to rule and no property worth taking is worthless to the politicians. In other words:

force_choke_2-1.jpg

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score

Wow, the latest atomichic design from 1962 and everything! A GIS for "atheist symbol" gives up at least 10 logos that are less gagular than that one. But doesn't having a symbol of faith kind of defeat the purpose of being atheist?

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Also, the Rutherford model of the atom became obsolete in 1913 (thanks Wiki). Surely if we want our atheist symbol all sciency we should be using something like this:
electron-cloud-v1.jpg

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
New...if you feel this way now...then no need to live on. lol

Every generation had those that thought that life sucked and there was no way to get better. I'm sure after we are all dead and gone there will still be some around that will still feel that way.

Read, listen, ask questions, and only believe half of any of it. You and your next generation of kin will see things happen that will still cause you to shake your head. It's called life. IMHO

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
The first one, "assume good will." Understand that saying EXACTLY what you mean, post to post, is very difficult, so it stands to reason that it is difficult for others as well. Look for the meaning of what the poster is trying to say, before assuming they are intending an insult or attack.

Funniest thing I've read in ages. :ROFL:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, the latest atomichic design from 1962 and everything! A GIS for "atheist symbol" gives up at least 10 logos that are less gagular than that one. But doesn't having a symbol of faith kind of defeat the purpose of being atheist?
It isn't a symbol of faith. It's a symbol, albeit a goofy one. No faith involved.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
there never was any hope.

government has never been about anything other than enslaving by degrees; one can argue that it's a necessary evil for survival of the species, and that may be true; but it is the articulation of the dark side of the human mind.

I could go there, argument wise, if "human nature" unfettered is exceptionally non-cooperative, unlike the apparent nature of other social species.

I see a balance to struggle two impulses. One is, Let's get together to disable all the bad guys (within and without), and the other is, Let's get together to enable all the good guys. And yes, there's Let's get together to have things our way.

No matter how I look at it, there's always the "let's get together" thing. At least when I focus with a long and abstract view, and consider what arguments can sway the largest number so as to survive and grow into a political position.

OTOH, when I try to see what goes on in tribe size groups, I do notice dominance, as it needs to stand out to make its mark. Less noticeable are the positive facilitators, like neighbors down the street who just like to host a barbecue every month or the kid who takes a sympathy card around for signatures when someone dies. Humans who don't have impulses to share in effect don't qualify as members of the species.

So, maybe it's that when I say I can get behind the dark side view of government, it's that sometimes I feel it's taken on for itself (in some cases) the giving and supportive role I would like to have. I also argue with government taking on the exclusive role of arbiter of justice; the populace is effectively told, You don't have to be just -- we got that covered. Just go on with your life and get away with anything we haven't thought to outlaw yet.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Politics has become a lost hope to me. I know I'm only a high schooler and couldn't possible understand politics (psh yeah right) but I think we could all agree changes need to be made. I mean come on. I saw a news thing today in class where the Supreme Court or whatnot made this couple cover up a cross that a WW1 veteran had erected in a desert (I forget which) because it was a religious symbol on public land. Well if they did that then they might as well take down all the crosses at Arlington which they won't do. Ugh. Government annoys me....we should be neutral like Switzerland. Or have a monarchy like England. They don't have near as many problems. And the pound is actually worth something! Sigh....

Britian's monarchy is outdated and has no real relationship to the government; the Prime Minister and Parliment have the real power. The royals have been basically figure heads for a very long time now.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
The atheist one looks like it was done by a five-year-old having a tantrum.

Spike Milligan has 'I told you I was ill' on his gravestone. In Irish Gaelic, because the rules surrounding UK gravestones are very strict. I want something super-creepy, like 'I'm watching you', or something weird like 'Should have made sure I'd turned the gas off'.

My bf wants "I had her naked in three hours on the first date."

;)